Transport Empire main music theme

Discuss a Transport Tycoon-like game being programmed by forum users.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator

Transport Empire main music theme

Post by uzurpator »

I am currently working on a somewhat functional sound system for TE. Which currently can play music :>

So - Any takers for the main TE theme? Any relatively popular format is acceptable ;)
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
Lilman424
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Transport Empire main music theme

Post by Lilman424 »

I'll certainly give a go at composing something, but I can't produce anything higher quality than midi.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

If I recall correctly there was some sound files made for TE long time ago when I was in the project.

I found an old music and sound thread which is 21 pages long unfortunately. On page 3 I found two music clips but didn't browse it further. I remember there was one short but very good music posted "lonelyhighway_demo_.mp3" which I have locally in my Winamp playlist actually. :)

Just wanted to point out what old stuff is available, although it is probably needed that someone goes through those 21 pages and make a summary over what music have been posted. Also getting some information about the license of those clips is probably needed.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Ah, yes, Tombe, as he was then (or "r" as he later became), created various samples, I seem to remember. He's lurking around OT under the name "R-Ski Z Tomberios" these days, so it may be worth poking him.
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

Slightly deviating from the 'main' music, a system for in-game music could just utilise music on the local computer.
Creating a shortcut to a music folder from "My Documents/Transport Empire User files/Music" would allow TE to search the contents of the folder (and sub-folders?) and add it to a list of music to play in game. Futhermore, like LoMo, the songs could be played relative to what year it is in-game, via reading the ID3 tag for example.
Unfortunately, you are limited by what is on your pc, and your choice of music, so this could be added alongside the game's own music.

EDIT: :idea: Back on the theme tune, my music teacher does some composing, shall I ask him to do a little tune? If so, suggest how the tune should go, i.e. Upbeat, swing etc.. and I'll ask him when he comes round on Wednesday.
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
charlieg
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by charlieg »

Open source tycoon games
--
Free Gamer - open source and Free Software games
FreeGameDev forums - open source game development community
charlieg
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by charlieg »

Lots of public domain .ogg stuff here:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Ogg
Open source tycoon games
--
Free Gamer - open source and Free Software games
FreeGameDev forums - open source game development community
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

Update on Theme tune:
My music teacher has agreed! :D He will create something resembling a theme tune in two weeks time.
Suggestions are open until 7PM UTC monday 16th of June. Get your thinking caps on.

EDIT: He will create a Jazz/Funk Theme tune over the summer holidays, so look forward to September.

EDIT2: Ok, so it looks like we are getting somewhere now, being well over the promised time, (There is a surprising amount of work he has to do for a music teacher.) he is starting to come up with ideas and getting to grips with his music program. He may get something done by christmas.
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Transport Empire Theme Status Feb '10

Post by m3henry »

Okay, after too long, I got together with David to get stuff done, here is the first section of the main theme. Enjoy and please give some feedback. :)
Attachments
Transport Empire theme.mp3
I know it ends abruptly, but theres more to come...
(1.91 MiB) Downloaded 850 times
ohlidalp
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ohlidalp »

m3henry wrote:... here is the first section of the main theme. Enjoy and please give some feedback. :)
Hello.

Just played it and it sounds quite promising. I like the overall "style" the track is played, the selection of instruments and how it "escalates" from the initial tones to the final tune. You're on the right way to make a theme music.

Yet somehow the track IMHO doesn't have quite the right "feeling" of it. It should feel relaxed and cheerful, with a little dramatic beginning and maybe some more intense parts in it. That's how I sense themes of TTD and LoMo. But your tune just feels a little too dramatic from the start to the end. Frankly, instead of trains and industries it made me remember Driver, a gangster game. But that's just me.

It's a good tune anyway. Looking forward to hear more.

~An00biS
Rigs of Rods maintainer.
uzurpator

Post by uzurpator »

Pretty groovy :)
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

Heya uzu, how are you doing? Still working on TE form time to time?

Return to “General Transport Empire Discussion”