Current Status [april 2012]

Discuss a Transport Tycoon-like game being programmed by forum users.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Current Status [apr 2009]

Post by Arathorn »

Just popping by to say I'm still following this project. It's nice to see an update again.
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

Also, some screenshots of the progress would be great!

I'm curious about the roads, for example.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator

Post by uzurpator »

maquinista:

Screenshots of sounds are sort of difficult to make ;)
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
uzurpator

Post by uzurpator »

I have basic foundations (what is below buildings :>) ready.
Attachments
found.jpg
found.jpg (45.28 KiB) Viewed 18202 times
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

uzurpator wrote:I have basic foundations (what is below buildings :>) ready.
Thanks!
It looks interesting. :D
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
uzurpator

Post by uzurpator »

Foundations
Attachments
foundations.jpg
foundations.jpg (44.09 KiB) Viewed 18050 times
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Looks quite promising! :D
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
cmoiromain
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by cmoiromain »

Cool! that's beginning to look like a real game!
I am little, ugly, and nasty. How do you do?
uzurpator

Re: Current Status [may 2009]

Post by uzurpator »

Current work is about making the game work in OpenGL, which proved to be quite a challenge.
Jeremia
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jeremia »

Hi Folks,

for a long time I've thought about a new Transport Tycoon project. I thought: why not do it 3D and add some ohter fancy features like huge production chains. So I thought about to start a project like that on my own. But I've never started. At last weekend I was surfing around to see if anybody had the same idea and well... I found this project. I read through the DD and think there is a lot of stuff which is the same that i thought about. So I think it would be really cool to join the project as a programmer, since I have no clue about graphic design and modelling.

Something about me:

I have programmed java, c, c++ for several years and have a Master Degree in Computational Visualistics. In my master thesis I've done something with Nvidia PhysX in virtual crime scenes. I really think it would be cool to use a physic engine like the PhysX in a transportation game. So maybe I can help in that direction.

I've allready tried to compile the source but I don't know if I've used the right repository. It also seems, that I have the wrong boost version. So If there is any chance to help in that great project, it would be nice if someone can tell me what exactly i need to get that source compile.

Please let me know if I can be part of the development team.

Best regards

Jeremia

p.s. Please excuse me for my poor english, since I'm not a natural speaker. Maybe the project will help to improve my writing.
FHS
Director
Director

Post by FHS »

Is there a GUI already?

I may take a look at that.
uzurpator

Post by uzurpator »

Jaremia:

The most current version of the source is in the svn somewhere in the forums. You need boost 1.36+, ogre 1.6.1, ois 1.0 and afair FMOD whichever is the freshest.

You may run into problems with compilation because the current source is a hairy mess (yes, again). And I am currently refactoring it. Revision 155 or thereabouts should compile and run fine on win32 tho.

If you have any questions - just ask :) (pm, email or on the forums).
As for physiX - this is of course a welcome addition. Could you prepare a short description how to use such engine, what are its principles etc? So we can mesh it with the current entity/game object approach.
ohlidalp
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ohlidalp »

Hello.
Jeremia wrote:... I don't know if I've used the right repository. It also seems...
You should find everything you need at http://www.transportempire.com.
If there is something that you can't find there, contact me and I'll add it.
Jeremia wrote:Please let me know if I can be part of the development team.
There's a test. You must read and understand the current code. If you can do that, you're in :P
Really, any help in coding will be appreciated. Just pick a subject you'd like to work on, tell us what it is and how you'd like to do it and start.
There's a design document on the webpage, but it's not binding, just informational - if you'd like to do things a different way, no problem.
FHS wrote:Is there a GUI already?
Nope. I'm going to work on it, but not until 3rd june, when my exams are over.
But maybe someone else will pick the task

~ An00biS
Rigs of Rods maintainer.
Zhall
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zhall »

An00biS wrote: , when my exams are over.

~ An00biS
Arent exams great? :wink:

Perfect way to slow any hobby down, o well, cant make projects without knowledge i suppose, a bit of a paradox.
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

Well sometimes they can give a huge boost to projects other than you studies.
neroden
Engineer
Engineer

Post by neroden »

Just a friendly reminder -- one of the core problems we were hoping to solve in this game is full 3d construction of roads/bridges/tunnels, so that crisscrossing tunnels and bridges on different levels are handled correctly. None of the existing games except the Rollercoaster Tycoon series and Locomotion (which have 2d cell-based rendering for everything) gets this right.

If you're actually to the point of working on roads and buildings (and I'm very impressed by that), I suggest creating at least one cantilevered building which sticks out on top of a smaller building. If you can do this and have all the code for "occupied space" work properly (so it can't stick *into* another building), you're 99% of the way to true tunnels and bridges.

This is a fundamentally tricky point and it's *very very* hard to retrofit if you don't get it right up front. So you don't want to go too far into development without getting it working.
Zhall
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zhall »

yeah stacked tunnels would be great.
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

Heya uzurpator, any updates?
Ne0Que
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ne0Que »

This project looks pretty dead to me.. :cry:
Stop those stupid shooting games, make peaceful games!
lonwolf89
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lonwolf89 »

Hmm judging by the dates in this forum seems that either this project is dead or postponed.
I've been working with Ogre3d, Ageia (now NVidia) PhysX, FMOD, CEGUI (much better with some OIS blend), creating some simple models in 3dsmax and exporting as meshes, basic texturing, for more than 3 years.

I'd like to participate in this project but if theres only 1 or 2 people working on it 1-2 days a week (doubt it) i'd rather not. It's a big project and requires a lot of work.

PS. The forums could use some cleaning perhaps? the coding section at least is too messy to bother reading through it seriously. I've seen some posts made in 2007 and it's 2009, 2 years is a lot, and just some landscape and a few trees is a bit less for that period.

I'm also considering to start a new project and work on my own until i get a solid base for this game but after that i need a lot more to help. I also have ideas about sorting out 3D construction of railroads and roadways.

So, any1 here still being part of this or it's a ghost town around here? :)

Return to “General Transport Empire Discussion”