TE MEETING @ 1830 GMT #TransportEmpire 13 Jan 2007

Discuss a Transport Tycoon-like game being programmed by forum users.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

TE MEETING @ 1830 GMT #TransportEmpire 13 Jan 2007

Post by m4rek »

I propose a meeting be held at 1830 GMT, Saturday 13 Jan, #TransportEmpire. All those in favour say aye.
Toyland isn't a climate, it's a mistake.
Everyone has a photographic memory - Some just don't have film
No matter how hard life gets, remember there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Let's just hope it's not a train.
aarona
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aarona »

3:30am on a day I have work. Thats a no for me sorry.
Whats on your mind M4rek?
Dave

Post by Dave »

He's obviously annoyed about the lack of forward drive...

But then... We're not all 14 year olds with nothing better to do are we now?
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Aye

1830 GMT is a perfect time for Europeans, IMO. I'll be there, tho I probably need a reminder.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
aarona
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aarona »

Just to give people some hope. I've been sporadically working on a MSTS shape file converter so that we can use the train (and other) models that have already been completed by other people. (Because no one here is gonna do it...)

This isn't a trivial task because its closed source (even a 3rd party reader was closed source). The reason its all closed and hush-hush is that they do not like people stealing their models, changing a small bit and claiming it as their own (copyright etc).

I've got it to sucessfully convert a GP38 diesel loco, but the truth is I really can't be arsed putting too much effort into this thing. The weather can get too hot here and being stuck in a room with a hot computer isn't going to get me going. Couple this with work and personal comittments, including a work/tour trip to Italy this month, and I have as much drive as a Kirby Paul Tank hauling 30 full coal trucks over a hill.
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

well, this meeting is a status report, telling us what is done, whos doing what, what needs to be done, and who needs to do what. also we will discuss the water to see if we can get a conclusion

edit: removed typo
Last edited by m4rek on 13 Jan 2007 12:26, edited 1 time in total.
Toyland isn't a climate, it's a mistake.
Everyone has a photographic memory - Some just don't have film
No matter how hard life gets, remember there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Let's just hope it's not a train.
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Aarona: the problem is that their models are copyrighted, and we would have a big problem if we would release TE with their models, even if it were for free.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
aarona
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aarona »

I'm aware of that however there seems to be a bit of a catch 22 situation here. The game can't really be shown in principle without some models and the modellers aren't coming forward because they haven't seen the game and hence are not willing to commit themselves to creating the models for us to use.

It would be wrong to go against any license that a particular author uses, so obviously if there was a compelling reason to stick with a particular model, we would consult the license and/or contact them.

I can tell a lot of work has gone into these models and the main problem the authors have is other people claiming credit for their work. Generalising, but I'm sure if there was a 100% correct MSTS to Trainz converter, they would accept their works being converted if they retained 100% credit. How would this then be any different? (Naturally consultation is the important part here)

Bah, we could go on and on about these legal issues but there would be none if we had some modellers *here* (in the time and space sense) who were willing to help us out and until that day comes I will endeavour to find some alternatives. Even if this means they cannot be released!
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

We have Jpl. He has quite some years experience in 3ds max (he says) and wants to help us (he's at IRC all the time ;) ).
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Return to “General Transport Empire Discussion”