UEFA Euro 2020

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Chrill

UEFA Euro 2020

Post by Chrill »

Yes. The 2021 UEFA Euros, aka the 2020 Euros.

Who's winning this year? We start with Turkey and Italy today!
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: UEFA Euro 2020

Post by Redirect Left »

Whilst I don't generally pay attention to football, I'll probably be watching this in the blind hope of England doing well, like I do each World Cup.
The groups are fairly interesting, and I do have predictions for the top two on each team and overall winner, sadly third place in your group doesn't guarantee qualification but may do...
Group A - Italy & Switzerland
Group B - Denmark & Russia
Group C - Netherlands & Belgium
Group D - Czech Republic & England (Englands team are doing rather well lately, but the pressure at huge events tends to get to them, so they're always a wildcard at large events)
Group E - Spain & Poland
Group F - France & Portugal (aaaah, this one is hard, Germany is also sooo good when they want to be)

My gut feeling for overall winner is either Italy or France.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Crikey, what a day! To start off, this post has spoilers for today's matches, so if you don't want them yet, don't read any further! Anywho, Firstly, Wales held up far better against Switzerland than I expected, and Belgium i somewhat expected to win against Russia, but not to the degree they did.
However of course the big one of the day was Finland & Denmark, hopefully that is the only match I make a complaint to the BBC about. Christian Eriksen collapsed, and CPR was administered for what seemed a very alarming amount of time, although reports say he is now alert, stable and initial tests/scans show nothing alarming. I found the BBC live airing of this incident absolutely appalling, lacking any sort of privacy in an emergency situation, at one point the camera even decided what'd make great TV was showing the players wife in tears at seeing her own husband having a medical emergency on the grass. This seems to be clearly out of line with our own ofcom's regulations about what you can broadcast here. I don't think I will get a reasonable response to the complaint, but I can live in hope, with the BBC being a public funded company by us paying TV licences, hopefully they feel a need to make good when things go wrong.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

The international feed, which both BBC and Swedish TV4 were using, was the one that stayed on for too long. Once our Swedish commentary actively said, in TV, "we do not want to see this, please cut away from this, this is disrespectful" (I'm paraphrasing, but along those lines), the Swedish broadcast cut to an overview of the arena as a whole which meant we could no longer see.

They did, absurdly enough, cut to a rerun of a casual dining show while this was still ongoing, instead of conducting proper journalism and informing their viewers of the development. They almost missed going back to the game after it was restarted. It shouldn't have restarted the same day in my book, but it did.

Regarding your picks, Adam, most 3rd placed teams go through also. I think 4/6.

For that reason, my picks pre-Euros were:

Group A - Italy, Switzerland
Group B - Belgium, Denmark, (Russia)
Group C - Netherlands, Austria, (Ukraine)
Group D - England, Croatia
Group E - Spain, Sweden, (Poland)
Group F - France, Portugal, (Germany)

And going all the way to the Semis, we'll see Belgium - France and England - Netherlands. In the finals, France will beat the Netherlands.

After the first half or so round, I don't think Denmark will find the energy to make it through after the horror events at Parken in Copenhagen. Finland or Russia could both sneak ahead of the Danes.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Despite a lacklustre showing against Scotland, England are through to the round of 16, where we shall have an easy time against *checks notes*, Germany.
...aw crud.

Well it was a fun few matches, at least.
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

Redirect Left wrote: 24 Jun 2021 20:37 Despite a lacklustre showing against Scotland, England are through to the round of 16, where we shall have an easy time against *checks notes*, Germany.
...aw crud.

Well it was a fun few matches, at least.
Funny, "lackluster" is a pretty good description of Germany's performance so far.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Redirect Left wrote: 24 Jun 2021 20:37 Well it was a fun few matches, at least.
Hopefully you didn’t give up watching them, eh? :mrgreen:

Although I am of course sad that Scotland didn’t manage to progress further!
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

orudge wrote: 10 Jul 2021 09:22
Redirect Left wrote: 24 Jun 2021 20:37 Well it was a fun few matches, at least.
Hopefully you didn’t give up watching them, eh? :mrgreen:

Although I am of course sad that Scotland didn’t manage to progress further!
I can confirm I did continue! My initial bet of Italy is still in the running too, so I might be in for some money, as well as England tears. My entire position for most of this tournament has been, England has a good team, probably one of our strongest for a while, but our fans are just the worst, so I generally support whoever we are against. I can't get behind booing other countries national anthems and when players take the knee.

Hopefully Scotland have taken away from this they can still qualify for the big events, so they can at least have that, hopefully we see them in a World Cup next!
Challenger007
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Challenger007 »

What do you think about the finale? For me, the victory of Italy was even a little unexpected. For some reason I thought that England would win.
304 001
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 304 001 »

I am English, and I am glad that we lost in the final.

A lot of our fans are a bunch of mindless, racist thugs, and booing through the national anthems of rival countries was so disrespectful... And shining laser pens into the eyes of rival goalkeepers?

We deserved to be banned from all future international football matches and competitions, like we were back in the 1980's and 1990's.

The whole thing made me feel ashamed to be English tbh.

Congratulations to Italy, you deserved the win.
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

I'm not at all surprised Italy won, it's not like they've ever been an underdog in international soccer.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Challenger007 wrote: 12 Jul 2021 11:00 What do you think about the finale? For me, the victory of Italy was even a little unexpected. For some reason I thought that England would win.
Team unbeaten in 33 matches prior to the final not being beaten again is a surprise? Certainly not to me!
304 001 wrote: 12 Jul 2021 15:39A lot of our fans are a bunch of mindless, racist thugs, and booing through the national anthems of rival countries was so disrespectful... And shining laser pens into the eyes of rival goalkeepers?
A small minority of idiots, but hey, let's tar the majority with the same brush :roll: Attitudes like yours make the problem worse, not better.
304 001
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 304 001 »

Pilot wrote: 12 Jul 2021 18:28
Challenger007 wrote: 12 Jul 2021 11:00 What do you think about the finale? For me, the victory of Italy was even a little unexpected. For some reason I thought that England would win.
Team unbeaten in 33 matches prior to the final not being beaten again is a surprise? Certainly not to me!
304 001 wrote: 12 Jul 2021 15:39A lot of our fans are a bunch of mindless, racist thugs, and booing through the national anthems of rival countries was so disrespectful... And shining laser pens into the eyes of rival goalkeepers?
A small minority of idiots, but hey, let's tar the majority with the same brush :roll: Attitudes like yours make the problem worse, not better.
A small minority?

Did you see the riots outside Wembley Stadium on the headline TV news all day yesterday?

When you have the Royal family and UK Prime Minister publically condemning UK football fans on national TV, and FIFA slapping heavy fines on England after idiotic fans nearly blinded the Danish goalkeeper with laser pens, you still ignore the problem?

No mate, England does not deserve to win anything until they change their desrespectful attitude and control their hooligan fans.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

304 001 wrote: 13 Jul 2021 07:30 No mate, England does not deserve to win anything until they change their desrespectful attitude and control their hooligan fans.
I'm on this boat. especially in the aftermath of the final, where many (and i do mean many!) fans decided the appropriate response to the penalty shootout was to go and be immensely racist to the three players, who happened to be all black, that missed the penalty shots. I fully support everyone who has been even slightly disruptive being straight up banned from stadiums & pubs during matches, you want to support football? stay at home where you can't cause too many problems.

Because of the stupid behaviour of fans, always booing the opponents anthem, and booing when players took the knee, I was straight up supporting any team that wasn't us when we were playing. Which at least within the tiny insignificant scope of this thread paid off, as my initial idea of it being Italy winning at the start paid off!
Also the amount of England fans that think we should get credit for inventing football because we put some dumb rules on someone else's game annoys me. The heritage started in Mesoamerica where the Aztecans played with balls (likely made out of rubber, so would have been amusingly bouncy, i'd love to see modern football with a bouncy rubber ball), then much later China discovered this amusing waste of time, and that's where they started using their feet, that ended up in Japan not too long after. Skip to about 2000 years ago, the ancient Romans brought over those ideas to Provincia Britannia (modern day UK), then in the 1800s England were like "this, but not this" and invented lots of dumb rules, and boom we invented football (apparently).
Challenger007
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Challenger007 »

304 001 wrote: 12 Jul 2021 15:39 I am English, and I am glad that we lost in the final.

A lot of our fans are a bunch of mindless, racist thugs, and booing through the national anthems of rival countries was so disrespectful... And shining laser pens into the eyes of rival goalkeepers?

We deserved to be banned from all future international football matches and competitions, like we were back in the 1980's and 1990's.

The whole thing made me feel ashamed to be English tbh.

Congratulations to Italy, you deserved the win.
Yes, there are few reasons for pride in such behavior of fellow citizens. Unfortunately, we cannot influence this in any way and we also cannot be held responsible for such people.
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

Challenger007 wrote: 21 Jul 2021 08:12 Unfortunately, we cannot influence this in any way
Yes, you do: through elections and public policy, through exerting pressure on associations and clubs to distance themselves from toxic fans (which, to be fair, they have already done after the Euro finale), and through communicating to those fans that they are not welcome in the community.

To just pretend that hooligans and racist a-holes are a problem you have to ignore and move on from is extremely short-sighted, and to call those who clearly condemn the actions of those idiots as "part of the problem" is borderline offensive.

Return to “Off-Topic”