Transport Tycoon

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

CarmeloLabadie
Engineer
Engineer

Transport Tycoon

Post by CarmeloLabadie »

Wikipedia said:

Transport Tycoon (TT) and Transport Tycoon Deluxe (TTD) are computer games where the player is in control of a transport company, and competes against rival companies (or not, playing solo) to make as much profit as possible, by transporting passengers and various goods by road, rail, sea or by air.

Transport Tycoon at Wikipedia

I was first introduced to this game a couple of years ago. My mate had it on his computer at his house. I remember going round there everyday and playing on it while everyone else was upstairs playing on the X-Box. I loved it.

I hadn't played it since. Until today. While browsing Wikipedia I came across the Transport Tycoon page, and was immediatly reminded about the beauty of the game. I soon found a legal download link (the game is now classed as abandonware). After a few mishaps with the whole downloading process, I finally got it working.

I'm still getting use to the game after all this time. I must admit, I'm not that good at it, but it's addictive none-the-less. I just love playing the Desert/Frontier styled scenarios and acting as though I'm a Western Pionier building rail roads across the Wild West. Great fun.

Does anybody else play this game? I know Born Acorn does, because it was his member page on Wikipedia that I found the link to Transport Tycoon. It was also his Transport Tycoon forums on which I found the download link. But, anybody else play it?
odisseus
Director
Director

Re: Transport Tycoon

Post by odisseus »

Just download OpenTTD. These days, there's absolutely no reason to keep playing the original Transport Tycoon.
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

AFAIK the legality of abandonware is actually kind of disputed.
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Abandonware legally does not exist. Copyright laws are pretty clear. Copyright is still binding even if a developer stops supporting a program. I think the idea behind abandonware really is "The developer does not care enough to have lawyers send cease and desist orders to stop sites from offering free downloads of old products", though EA did do just that with the SimCity franchise at one point. But yeah, Transport Tycoon Deluxe was great, but OpenTTD is leagues beyond it. If the OP likes playing in fronteir days, then OpenTTD is the way to go. You get train sets like NARS that have the old wood burning locos and clerestory coaches, you have road vehicle sets like EGRVS that have horse drawn wagons and coaches, and you can actually play in the 19th century and earlier!
Without Trains America Stops

Chrill

Post by Chrill »

OpenTTD of today is merely a spiritual successor of Transport Tycoon. It does not dependent on any graphics, sounds, or lines of code.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)

Return to “Off-Topic”