Eurovision Song Contest, 2021

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Eurovision Song Contest, 2021

Post by Redirect Left »

It's happeniiiing!

This year's contest will run between Tuesday 18th May, and finish with the main event on Saturday 22nd May. Hosted in the Netherlands, at Rotterdam Ahoy, to some degree at least*, following on from the 2020 2019 tournament win by Duncan Laurence, with the power ballad Arcade.

Many countries have already chosen their artists at this point, with the ever-popular selection in Sweden, Melodifestivalen also approaching its climax in the next few weeks, with what looks to be another strong contender from Sweden whoever wins so far. There are 41 countries participating this year, Bulgaria & Ukraine return after missing 2019. With Montenegro and Hungary pulling out.
Confirmed countries who are going to return with their selected artist from last year are Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belgium, Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Georgia, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Latvia, Malta, Moldova, the Netherlands, North Macedonia, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland, United Kingdom & Ukraine. By chance or just popularity, Lithuania will select the same artist again, after they (The Roop) won the national selection 2 years running. Countries aren't permitted to simply enter the previous years song, however, so artists returning will be using new songs.
Eurovision Youtube Channel has, as usual, uploaded the songs chosen so far here; https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 5i48KVfqju

* it seems likely that not all of the action will be presented from this location, with some artists doing pre-recorded video entries, and with a much reduced if any at all, audience.

How's everyone thinking for this years, after I'm sure we all missed last years no-show, I am so glad arrangements have been made so that we should get a good showing this year.
Personally, I am hoping Russia re-select Little Big as I love that Russian band, I think it may be a fair chance, given their song 'Uno' is still the most played video on the entire Eurovision youtube channel in just 11 month on the platform, with Netta - Toy & Lena - Satellite in 2nd & 3rd.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Chrill

Re: Eurovision Song Contest, 2021

Post by Chrill »

My favourites so far:

1. Finland
2. Ukraine
3. Lithuania

Once again I don't anticipate a Swedish win. Our arguably strongest song is by a new artist named Tusse, we'll see if he wins our Melodifestivalen.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Contestants in this years Eurovision will face 'necessary' travel to Rotterdam Ahoy for the tournament, and cannot simply send in a pre-recorded video, or appear via video link, according to Executive Supervisor Jon Ola Sand Martin Osterdahl.

As reported by BBC News, Eurovision organisers have learnt from organisations like F1 & tennis to work out the best way of handling the situation. It's yet to be decided if an audience should attend, but that they're hoping for 'the most normal Eurovision that we can'.

I fear that some of the 41 confirmed contestants may now choose to withdraw, rather than risk travelling to the Netherlands :(
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Do you have a favourite so far, Adam? Who are you rooting for?
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Chrill wrote: 05 Mar 2021 15:44 Do you have a favourite so far, Adam? Who are you rooting for?
The Serbian entry 'LOCO LOCO' is pretty lively which I enjoy, Israel's entry 'Set Me Free' is also pretty lively and easy to get into. However, my favourite so far is Ireland and Lesley Roy's song 'Maps'. Those are definitely my 'top 3' so far of the announced songs.

I am eager to see Iceland's entry '10 Years', with Daði og Gagnamagnið returning after their hit and tipped win in 2020. Releases in 7-8 days I think. Latvia also tends to have some decent stuff, I don't think I'll ever forget their 2008 entry "Wolves of the Sea", so I'll also be on the lookout for when they reveal their 2021 song in a few days time too. So my top 3 might entirely change yet...
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I'm stunned to see rapper Flo Rida feature on the SAN MARINO entry. Did not expect that one.

It's, as always, written by Swedes. It's a good song.
My Scenarios:
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Surely the San Marinese singing a Swedish written song is cheating! :lol:

Looking forwards to the UK finishing last again!
sevenfm
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sevenfm »

Redirect Left wrote: 27 Feb 2021 14:44Personally, I am hoping Russia re-select Little Big as I love that Russian band, I think it may be a fair chance, given their song 'Uno' is still the most played video on the entire Eurovision youtube channel in just 11 month on the platform, with Netta - Toy & Lena - Satellite in 2nd & 3rd.
Looks like they will not go.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CMKmqJcLfX3/
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

sevenfm wrote: 08 Mar 2021 17:40
Redirect Left wrote: 27 Feb 2021 14:44Personally, I am hoping Russia re-select Little Big as I love that Russian band, I think it may be a fair chance, given their song 'Uno' is still the most played video on the entire Eurovision youtube channel in just 11 month on the platform, with Netta - Toy & Lena - Satellite in 2nd & 3rd.
Looks like they will not go.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CMKmqJcLfX3/
Well, that is disappointing, but hopefully Russia has other bands that make fun songs that'll pop up on Eurovision.
sevenfm
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sevenfm »

Redirect Left wrote: 08 Mar 2021 20:21 Well, that is disappointing, but hopefully Russia has other bands that make fun songs that'll pop up on Eurovision.
Unfortunately, no, they've chosen some Tajik-Russian woman with strange "Russian woman" song, it looks like if they are trying to match some European migrant loving trend or something, it's more about politics than music in my view.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBgm_d61K7E
Or maybe I'm too old to understand modern music. It looks and sounds like some weird kitsch to me.
Not a big fan personally of Little Big, but at least they had style.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

At least Russia had a proper televote this year, if only with 3 songs. Little Big were spectacular, but I was quite afraid they'd win. Not a fan of Russia politically, and politics reflect across everything we do including music. Much like when we had the competition in Israel, or Azerbaijan, such a nation hosting simply is controversial to me. Everyone draws their line of what nation is "controversial", and that's mine.

Looking forward to seeing Iceland's entry, should be released tomorrow I believe.

I sincerely hope for an Icelandic victory but I'm concerned they won't be able to achieve what they did in 2020. Italy is sending some rock band with a Danish or Norwegian name, not their typical opera pop style. Not a huge fan of that one, but fans overall enjoy it.

My favourites are still Finland, Ukraine, and Lithuania. Cyprus was sweet though.
My Scenarios:
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Well, Switzerland knocked it out of the park:

My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I'm pleasantly surprised with the newly announced UK entry, we're sending the same artist that would have done 2020, however in my opinion at least, they've come back with a much better song than our would-be entry last year.

It's a pleasant bop, which is nice to see.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Hmm. I think the UK entry for 2020 was stronger. I don't think this will be song to elevate the UK from near last.
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Chrill wrote: 11 Mar 2021 13:55 Hmm. I think the UK entry for 2020 was stronger. I don't think this will be song to elevate the UK from near last.
Honestly, at this point I think we'd need to make a song that cured cancer to whoever listened to it to even get in the top 5 of Eurovision :mrgreen:
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

If you send someone like the Arctic Monkeys, or perhaps a reunited Oasis, you'd probably finish at least 7th.

You know what? Nah, that wouldn't help.

Here's the favourite for tomorrow's Melodifestivalen:

It's ok, not a great song but it should do acceptably well.
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Chrill wrote: 12 Mar 2021 08:56 If you send someone like the Arctic Monkeys, or perhaps a reunited Oasis, you'd probably finish at least 7th.
We tried that in 2011, with the band 'Blue', who had been quite popular in varying parts of Europe, however the song 'I Can' was... meh at best. We did (somehow) come 5th that year though!
Chrill wrote: 12 Mar 2021 08:56 It's ok, not a great song but it should do acceptably well.
Definitely not one of the best Sweden would have put out in the last 10 years, but I agree, its 'ok' at least. Probably won't set Eurovision alight if it does win and get through to it, though.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

See, sending someone like Blue did help. Even then, they weren't exactly popular at the time nor was it a highly anticipated reunion.

Send Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Dhani Harrison, and Julian Lennon. Boom.
My Scenarios:
Challenger007
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Challenger007 »

For me one of the coolest Eurovision songs was Jamal's song "1944" (Ukraine). It was a well-deserved victory at Eurovision. The second place for me is Loreen's song "Euphoria".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-rnM-MwRHY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcnWysA9gxo
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I'm at the other scale. 1944 is right there with Amar Pelos Dois as the worst entries to win in recent years.

As a Swede, I'll definitely endorse Euphoria. :mrgreen:

In 2016 when Jamala won, my favourite was Jai Cherche from France.

In 2017 when Sobral won, I was rooting for Moldova (Hey momma) and Italy (Occidentalis Karma).

And this year, I'm quite a fan of San Marino, because of how absurd it is that Flo Rida features on it. I do like Denmark's 80s bop too. But my top choice for 2021 is going to have to be the "violent pop" song entered by our lovely Finnish neighbors.
My Scenarios:

Return to “Off-Topic”