Game in Development: Train3D

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

mmcconnell1618
Engineer
Engineer

Game in Development: Train3D

Post by mmcconnell1618 »

Hi,

I've been working on a new transportation game and I'm starting to share some details. It's still very early in development but I love the community here and would appreciate feedback and suggestions as the game progresses. I've got a short list of things to wrap up before releasing my first video preview but you can see a few early screenshots on my blog.

The game is inspired by the strategy and transportation games I grew up with like Chris Sawyer's Transport Tycoon (ChrisSawyerGames.com), Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon, and open source reimagining projects like OpenTTD. I'm not sure what form the final game will take but I did start out with some specific objectives:
  • Build a tile-based transportation game - I want tiles, not a mushy ground mesh with random spline tracks
  • Make if 3D - I want the ability to view the world from any direction.
  • 4K resolution - I want the game to run 60fps+ at 3840x2160 resolution
  • C# where possible - C++ is the game language of choice but I'm tired of headers and manual memory management
  • Make it fun - I want to recapture that feeling of being absorbed into the game world and escaping for a little while
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Game in Development: Train3D

Post by orudge »

Interesting work, especially doing it in C#, in terms of performance. Are you using .NET Core?
mmcconnell1618
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mmcconnell1618 »

I'm using Unity for the base engine. C# is used as the scripting language but the low level stuff that comes from the engine is written in C/C++. Unity may even be doing some optimizations where they are compiling C# to C on build. There are certainly some tricks to getting better performance out of C# like not using LINQ and preferring loops by index instead of foreach.
mmcconnell1618
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mmcconnell1618 »

Unity doesn't have .NET Core support yet but hopefully will have it soon. It uses .NET Standard 2.0 as the default profile. I believe the whole thing is built on the Mono project at the moment.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Well, good luck with it! Is the intention for this to be open sourced?
mmcconnell1618
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mmcconnell1618 »

I'm not 100% sure what the commercialization vs. open source will look like yet. Hackable with mods is certainly on the requirements list but I'm not sure if the core engine will end up as open source or not.
mmcconnell1618
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mmcconnell1618 »

Here is a quick video preview of the land engine in the alpha version:

https://youtu.be/VXGZWtcxITc
mmcconnell1618
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mmcconnell1618 »

Here's another video of the work in progress. This one shows off bay management at bus stations where buses are assigned to one of three available spots as they enter a station.

https://youtu.be/uXynFDLovrU
mmcconnell1618
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Game in Development: Train3D - Track Tool Testing

Post by mmcconnell1618 »

I've posted another quick developer update and video of the track building tools as I test them. This is the first pass at a tool to draw track layouts or edit existing ones.

* Currently have 19 unique track parts that can be combined in a variety of ways.
* Click a start point on the edge of tile, then click the destination point if available
* Space bar to unlock start point and select a new one

https://youtu.be/53RGxdzl00k
Challenger007
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Challenger007 »

Very interesting. Have you thought about the storyline of the game or what will it all look like in the end?
mmcconnell1618
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mmcconnell1618 »

It's obviously inspired by games in the genre like Transport Tycoon, Locomotion, Roller Coaster Tycoon, Sid Meier's Railroads and Railroad Tycoon. I know that I want to focus on two major components right now: fun to build complex transportation networks (with a potential sandbox mode if that's all you like) and interesting business decisions that impact how your world evolves.

For example, I'm considering if maintenance spending should be configurable across everything or individual routes/vehicles. If you have a bus that runs a very short route and still makes a profit, it might make more sense to spend more on maintenance and keep it running longer because you don't need to buy the latest bus that travels 3x as fast. On the other hand, if you have an air transport route and the technology is developing quickly, maybe you cut maintenance costs and reduce the lifetime of the jet knowing you're going to upgrade in a few years anyways.

I always appreciate input from the community on where you see interesting gaps in current transport games that might be fun to play.
Challenger007
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Challenger007 »

There is little realism in modern games. When the car knocks over a bunch of junk, and there are no dents left. I would like such realism as in life, with the need to repair cars, pay fines. It would also be interesting to implement public transport and other social elements. Although it might be boring. I do not even know. It's just that many games are very much divorced from reality, from real physics.
mmcconnell1618
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mmcconnell1618 »

Here's the May 2021 Progress Update on Train Game 3D (Working title)

https://youtu.be/PUPNwvIinok

* All artwork is developer and not final
* This is from Alpha version 0.1 which I hope to provide as a tech demo at some point in the future.

The core engine is functioning well. There is plenty to clean up and optimize but my focus is shifting towards game play elements. In this progress video you can see some work toward providing scenarios with specific win conditions. Sandbox mode will still be available so anyone who just wants to build and be creative has that option. If you like the challenge of reaching a goal, scenarios will included. Cities are very early in development. I'm working on organic growth that feels realistic while still creating good game play.
Tony Pixel
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Tony Pixel »

I'm glad I saw this thread. The game is looking pretty good, I just started creating something like what this game looks like now with Unity too, my initial idea and inspiration were the same. Hope to see more progress on it as it is already looking quite decent :)
Image Image
Sprite artist and NewGRF developer, coding in NML. My projects:
NewGRFs: Not Enough Subways Set | North American Passenger Railroads | Elevated Subway Bridge | Tony Pixel's Subway Equipment Set (frozen)
Screenshots: New York City Subway Episodes
luk3Z
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by luk3Z »

Game looks promising. Anyway in my opinion you may add something more revolutionary in comparison to TTD.
Don't make just a copy of TTD.

C. Sawyer:

"There are actually a few things. I had ambitions to put things like dirty tricks, more detailed share dealing and taking over companies, and a lot of these features were dropped because I felt they just weren't going to work well in the game. I'd thought them through and could have done them, but they just didn't feel like they were going to work well enough, so they got dropped." http://www.transporttycoon.com/anniversary
Find new graphics easier:
GRFCrawler -> http://grfcrawler.tt-forums.net
BaNaNaS -> https://bananas.openttd.org/
32 bit gfx in OTTD (32bpp) -> https://wiki.openttd.org/en/Community/N ... 20graphics
TTDPatch 2.6 -> viewtopic.php?f=19&t=67694
How to subtract tax from income (workaround) -> viewtopic.php?t=89763&start=20
How to ban distance from income -> Simple Cargo Decay Override
makar0niasty
Engineer
Engineer

Post by makar0niasty »

Has, so I have stumbled onto this topic by accident but after watching the latest video must say this looks very promising...seems the latest building "mechanism" is like in RCT...would this mean that the holy grail of tycoon games (well at least for me) aka different radius curves and underground building (metro!) is coming?
As if yes.....
mmcconnell1618
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mmcconnell1618 »

Actually, underground building was just added. I posted a new developer log here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcwEhnPEF9Q

I know development has been slow. This isn't my full time job but I'm working on releasing a track builder demo to the public this year. I'm looking forward to letting some people try it out and getting feedback. Switching the track storage and building from 2.5d to full 3d has meant some significant code refactoring but it's in a good place now.

Return to “Off-Topic”