2019–20 coronavirus pandemic

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Chrill

2019–20 coronavirus pandemic

Post by Chrill »

Well now. With everything going on, I figured a topic regarding the current outbreak of COVID-19 made sense.

Most alarmingly on a person level, President Trump just announced that all travel from Europe to the US is to be stopped by Friday. Now, I'm in the US hoping to fly home on that very day. I sure hope the airplane itself flies here even if it has to fly empty to the US, I can't afford to stay here much longer. :mrgreen:
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: 2019–20 coronavirus pandemic

Post by pelya »

Let's add coronavirus as a new type of natural disaster to OpenTTD. All passenger traffic is halted for a month.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Chrill wrote: 12 Mar 2020 02:36 Well now. With everything going on, I figured a topic regarding the current outbreak of COVID-19 made sense.

Most alarmingly on a person level, President Trump just announced that all travel from Europe to the US is to be stopped by Friday. Now, I'm in the US hoping to fly home on that very day. I sure hope the airplane itself flies here even if it has to fly empty to the US, I can't afford to stay here much longer. :mrgreen:
I can still go to the US. For some reason it was specifically mainland Europe, so the UK & Ireland are still good to go to the US, should we want to!
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Well that's good for you. I guess in the worst case I'd have to fly with British Airways from Los Angeles to London, and then on to Stockholm.

F1 looks set to cancel the opening race, the 2020 Euros looks like they'll be arranged in 2021 instead, and who knows about our beloved Eurovision Song Contest?
My Scenarios:
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

As a US citizen, I hate to say that if you're stuck here I guarantee they won't give you any help. $1.5 trillion to help the stock market however...

On a lighter note (for some), school is cancelled for every public school in my county and likely the state as well. So I guess that's cool.

Still don't get the toilet paper thing though.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Zakos wrote: 14 Mar 2020 04:39 As a US citizen, I hate to say that if you're stuck here I guarantee they won't give you any help. $1.5 trillion to help the stock market however...
Of course the US government wouldn't help me, they don't help their own citizens!

My airline would have, though.

As luck would have it, I was already scheduled for a March 13 flight from Los Angeles to Copenhagen. It just so happened that this was the final flight from LA with my airline, so I am now back in Europe. Will take off from Copenhagen to Stockholm in an hour, which is lucky since Denmark is locking the country down in 90 minutes :mrgreen:
My Scenarios:
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

I'm in Ozamiz City in Philippines at the moment. Was to head home to Australia on 23rd March, but all domestic air, sea and land transport cancelled to and from Manila till 14th April.

I needed to get a domestic flight from where I am to Manila to get my international flight home. So I postponed my trip till 21st April and hope can get home.

And now the Mayor of this city basically put the city in lockdown till 31st March. All schools closed, no gatherings of crowds allowed and no one allowed in or out of the city.

There are no reported cases of the virus in the city, just the mayor wants to make sure it stays that way.

Worse part is with kids home from school I not get as much chance at my computer to work on my projects for OpenTTD. What a bumma.

Hope everyone in this forum including their families and relatives stay safe and not get this virus.

All best to you all
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Zakos wrote: 14 Mar 2020 04:39 As a US citizen, I hate to say that if you're stuck here I guarantee they won't give you any help. $1.5 trillion to help the stock market however...
It wasn't the stock market, it was the "debt market" for US Treasury bonds, and it wasn't the US government but the Federal Reserve Bank. The purpose was to ensure that the US government is able to make good on cashing out anybody who wants to redeem treasury bonds, and thus keep the monetary system stable in light of the crisis. It's a loan made to the other reserve banks, and it has to be paid back to the the main federal reserve.
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

Certainly hope they can pay it. Either way, I'm still stuck on the toilet paper thing. You don't even need that much.
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Zakos wrote: 15 Mar 2020 07:39 I'm still stuck on the toilet paper thing. You don't even need that much.
You having toilet paper problems in US too. They are having that problem in Australia too. That virus does not give you the s**Ts.. well not fiscally, just mentally.

I heard that it is relatives in Australia of those in China that buying all the toilet papers and things to send to their families in China, hence they started the panic buying.

It funny in ways as 3 women had a cat fight in one of the shops in Australia over a roll of toilet paper. :D

In the mean time:
Toiletpapershortage1.png
Toiletpapershortage1.png (154.92 KiB) Viewed 7631 times
Soot Happens
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

The toilet paper thing is definitely not Chinese or Australian, it's global. People do it here too and I just don't get it. Is it that you feel the need to be able to isolate yourself for months? I mean, most people will always have toilet paper home to last more than 24 hours, or do they just buy a piece of paper every time they need to go?
My Scenarios:
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

The reason I mentioned we thinking if people buying to send to China is in Australia we also short on rice. Rice isn't something most Australians buy a lot of. It something we'd probable have in a meal once a week if that.
Soot Happens
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Well, once again it's the same here. There aren't many Chinese people living in Sweden, so your theory falls short there too. :mrgreen:

I think it's just down to panic and fearmongering amount the media. People seem to think this is the end of days, and they stock up on everything non-perishable in the expectaction they will be isolated for months to come.
My Scenarios:
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
GarryG wrote: 15 Mar 2020 11:23 The reason I mentioned we thinking if people buying to send to China is in Australia we also short on rice.
Oh, a rice shortage. Maybe you'll have an Emperor of Australia within a few years like the US had in conjuction with gambing because of a rice shortage in China. ;-)

Here in Berlin, Germany all schools will close within the next days. Theatres, museums, clubs got closed this week, sport events was cancelled and since yesterday all activities with more than 50 persons are forbidden. Police controlled and closed pubs yesterday. The pubs are closed until april the 19th. That's more than a month. Smells like a pretty base of uproar.

Tschö, Auge
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Yes, everything's closing down here in Munich as well, started last week. For now, it feels pretty much business as usual unless of course you want something specifically that's closed ... but that'll probably be over tom... oh, wait, today ... with even more things shut down. Stupidly enough we just had local elections tod ... yesterday, so lots of people in contact with lots of other people. I expect things to go (more) bad within two weeks ^^;

I'm contemplating staying with my family instead of the city, but haven't really decided yet. Oh well. Good luck to everyone out there, and to your family, and so on ;) Hope we're all young and healthy and all that ^^;
rbos86
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by rbos86 »

The coffeeshops and bars and restaurants are closed in the Netherlands...
Where do I buy my weed now?
rbos86' Screenshots thread is here
rbos86' Unrealistic Dutch games -thread, on the other hand,is this button
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

I just went shopping like normal, I didn't buy a single roll of toilet paper or paper towels. One of my customers said she had 112 rolls, and I had to just grin so as not to get in trouble, but I don't think those stocking up like this are very good at math.

I bought a 36-pack a month ago and I'm not even halfway through, and I live with one other person. I haven't bought paper towels in at least 4 months either. Locally, restaurants and bars are closed for 2 weeks. But only 2 weeks.

Caution should be exercised but... come on.
Auge wrote: 15 Mar 2020 12:11 like the US had
Learned about him from my boy Sam O'Nella.
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
Zakos wrote: 16 Mar 2020 05:37
Auge wrote: 15 Mar 2020 12:11 like the US had
Learned about him from my boy Sam O'Nella.
I know the story since a few days because of a history podcast called "Zeitsprung" ("leap in time", German language), I listened saturday. Otherwise I would have missed the point. :-)

Tschö, Auge
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

rbos86 wrote: 16 Mar 2020 04:10 The coffeeshops and bars and restaurants are closed in the Netherlands...
Where do I buy my weed now?
If you can make it to downtown Chicago, I know a guy.

Anyway, seems as good a time as any to play CS games for 2 weeks while my restaurant is closed.
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 61653 »

GarryG wrote: 15 Mar 2020 08:53
Zakos wrote: 15 Mar 2020 07:39 I'm still stuck on the toilet paper thing. You don't even need that much.
You having toilet paper problems in US too. They are having that problem in Australia too. That virus does not give you the s**Ts.. well not fiscally, just mentally.

I heard that it is relatives in Australia of those in China that buying all the toilet papers and things to send to their families in China, hence they started the panic buying.

It funny in ways as 3 women had a cat fight in one of the shops in Australia over a roll of toilet paper. :D

In the mean time:
Toiletpapershortage1.png
With everything closing and everyone told to stay indoors, I think most countries will get the "fiscal sh**s" within a couple of weeks! :|

I think the toilet paper is an obvious thing to go for if you're in a panic... if you're told you might be housebound for two weeks, what's the last thing you want to run out of after food and water? Probably bog roll!

Doesn't make it right, but I can sort of understand it. Psychologically it also gives a feeling of being "in control" at time when things are very uncertain.
I was social distancing before it was cool 8)
Formerly known as 47434
Last train journey I could be bothered to look up the headcode for: 04/02/2016, Mirfield to Batley, 2J34 1459 Huddersfield to Leeds, Northern Rail 144015

Return to “Off-Topic”