Am I permabanned from IRC?

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Am I permabanned from IRC?

Post by SimYouLater »

I would have thought a temporary ban would be over by now.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Am I permabanned from IRC?

Post by acs121 »

Were you even banned from IRC ? I think someone would've said it by now.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

To what IRC channel do you refer? Since you posted in Off-Topic, I'd assume #tycoon, but #tycoon has been pretty much dead for a good few years now. :cry:
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

orudge wrote:To what IRC channel do you refer? Since you posted in Off-Topic, I'd assume #tycoon, but #tycoon has been pretty much dead for a good few years now. :cry:
The OpenTTD channel.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Given how dumb easy it is to evade bans on IRC (trust me, I have lots of experience) i wouldn't worry. No bans on IRC are permanent for this reason, no matter how much the channel owners may imagine it being.

Oh, and IRC is barely used anymore. Probably time to switch to Discord or Telegram.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Redirect Left wrote:Oh, and IRC is barely used anymore. Probably time to switch to Discord or Telegram.
It’s still quite heavily used by open source and free software projects. IRC has the advantage of being a simple, cross-platform open protocol, rather than a closed commercial system such as Slack.

That said, I’ve removed the TT-Forums chat page on the new version of the site due to launch soon, as #tycoon has been dead for years.
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

Still sad about that. Had a quick check but yeah http://ircstats.ttdpatch.net/ is gone too.

For those that are desperate to at least relive some of the glory, the QDB is still a fun read.

And hey, perhaps a #Tycoon Discord could be set up at some point. I know I'd be there.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

The IRC channel is still there, and there are still people on it, but nobody speaks on it any more.

10+ years ago though I spent most of my day at my computer. Nowadays I spend most of my day at my employer’s computer, and most of the rest of my time not on a computer!
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

So I was never banned? Alright, then can someone please explain to me what's wrong with #OpenTTD...

Code: Select all

[13:49] qwebirc v0.92
[13:49] Copyright (C) 2008-2012 Chris Porter and the qwebirc project.
[13:49] http://www.qwebirc.org
[13:49] Licensed under the GNU General Public License, Version 2.
[13:49] -weber.oftc.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[13:49] -weber.oftc.net- *** Checking Ident
[13:49] -weber.oftc.net- *** No Ident response
[13:49] -weber.oftc.net- *** Found your hostname
[13:49] -weber.oftc.net- *** Connected securely via TLSv1.2 ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256-128
[13:49] == Signed on!
[13:49] == Welcome to the OFTC Internet Relay Chat Network NotSYL
[13:49] == Your host is weber.oftc.net[127.0.0.1/6697], running version hybrid-7.2.2+oftc1.7.3
[13:49] == This server was created Sep 22 2018 at 19:20:20
[13:49] == weber.oftc.net hybrid-7.2.2+oftc1.7.3 CDGPRSabcdfgijklnorsuwxyz bciklmnopstvzeIMRS bkloveI
[13:49] == CALLERID CASEMAPPING=rfc1459 DEAF=D KICKLEN=160 MODES=4 NICKLEN=30 PREFIX=(ov)@+ STATUSMSG=@+ TOPICLEN=391 NETWORK=OFTC MAXLIST=beI:100 MAXTARGETS=1 CHANTYPES=# are supported by this server
[13:49] == CHANLIMIT=#:90 CHANNELLEN=50 CHANMODES=eIqb,k,l,cimnpstzMRS AWAYLEN=160 KNOCK ELIST=CMNTU SAFELIST EXCEPTS=e INVEX=I are supported by this server
[13:49] == 9J5AAEG5S your unique ID
[13:49] == There are 35 users and 10581 invisible on 20 servers
[13:49] == 21 IRC Operators online
[13:49] == 1 unknown connection(s)
[13:49] == 2595 channels formed
[13:49] == I have 1284 clients and 1 servers
[13:49] == Current local users: 1284  Max: 2241
[13:49] == Current global users: 10616  Max: 14049
[13:49] == Highest connection count: 2242 (2241 clients) (195535 connections received)
[13:49] == - weber.oftc.net Message of the Day -
[13:49] == -   O
[13:49] == -    \   The Open and Free
[13:49] == -     O
[13:49] == -    /|  Technology Community
[13:49] == - O-O O
[13:49] == -
[13:49] == - Welcome to OFTC's IRC network.
[13:49] == - The Open and Free Technology Community was founded at the
[13:49] == - end of 2001 by a group of experienced members of the Open
[13:49] == - Source and Free Software communities; it is aimed at
[13:49] == - providing these communities with better communication,
[13:49] == - development, and support infrastructure. Our goal is to
[13:49] == - provide stable services to members of the community in any
[13:49] == - part of the world, while listening closely to their needs
[13:49] == - and desires.
[13:49] == - We are not a general purpose chat platform, but a topical
[13:49] == - network intent on providing the open source and free
[13:49] == - software communities a means to cooperate and communicate.
[13:49] == - As such, illegal and off-topic activity, such as warez
[13:49] == - trading, may result in being barred from access.
[13:49] == - OFTC honors your privacy. To operate the network, we store
[13:49] == - and process information about IRC connections, nicknames,
[13:49] == - and channels. Our Privacy Policy explains what we do with
[13:49] == - that data, and what your rights are. By connecting, you
[13:49] == - accept these terms: https://www.oftc.net/Privacy_Policy/
[13:49] == - For more information on OFTC, please visit https://www.oftc.net/.
[13:49] == - If you require assistance, stop by in channel #oftc, or email
[13:49] == - support@oftc.net with details.
[13:49] == - Thanks and enjoy your stay,
[13:49] == -         The OFTC team
[13:49] == End of /MOTD command.
[13:49] == Usermode change: +i
[13:49] == #openttd Cannot join channel (+b)
Licenses for my work...
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

+b is the code for banned, so you are.

I've coinnected there myself, and there is only one thing on their list of banned users, and your username doesn't appear there.

Is this your hostname? (if you don't know, next time you connect, type /whois YOURNAMEHERE and it'll tell you your ident and hostname, it'll be formatted as IDENT@HOSTNAME)

Good news everyone. I'm still banned from #tycoon (although the fact i got in shows these didn't work, yay for IRC banning methods)
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

You’d be quite welcome in #tycoon these days - to be honest, I can’t even remember why you were banned now anyway!
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

orudge wrote:You’d be quite welcome in #tycoon these days - to be honest, I can’t even remember why you were banned now anyway!
For being my usual 2008-2010 self i suggest, i got those awards for good reason. Impressively I had already been banned by the 2010 awards, so the memory lived on a bit :lol:
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Redirect Left wrote:+b is the code for banned, so you are.

I've coinnected there myself, and there is only one thing on their list of banned users, and your username doesn't appear there.

Is this your hostname? (if you don't know, next time you connect, type /whois YOURNAMEHERE and it'll tell you your ident and hostname, it'll be formatted as IDENT@HOSTNAME)

Good news everyone. I'm still banned from #tycoon (although the fact i got in shows these didn't work, yay for IRC banning methods)
Yeah, that's my hostname. I recognize the ISP.

How long am I banned for?
Licenses for my work...
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I can't answer that much, however IRC bans do not automatically expire. So it is up to them to remove it when they feel its done. However given you are the only person banned, either you managed to be super annoying than ever has happened, or they recently removed the bans, showing they do remove them periodically.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Redirect Left wrote:I can't answer that much, however IRC bans do not automatically expire. So it is up to them to remove it when they feel its done. However given you are the only person banned, either you managed to be super annoying than ever has happened, or they recently removed the bans, showing they do remove them periodically.
In 2017, I posted a topic that people didn't like. Since I was half-crazy and annoying due to my fear of using various words (like I said, half-crazy), I had the topic locked and ignored the subject for a couple years.

Earlier this year, I asked #OpenTTD if it would be okay to revive the subject. They said sure, it seemed okay. So I did. Cue Pikkabird telling me that he's had multiple complaints from people wanting the new topic locked. Cue me raging at #OpenTTD. Cue a kick with a request to come back when I'm calm.

So I come back a few minutes later, completely calm (yes, really) and ask why nobody told me it was not okay to revive the topic. They ask me to say sorry. I calmly decline and leave.

A few hours later, I return to find myself banned.
Licenses for my work...
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

So, I cannot comment on that, my little bot that I had left stationed in #tycoon (yay crappy bans again) and #openttd died ages ago and i never bothered to revive it, so i don't know how much of what you said is true.

The majority of mods there are fair enough, there is one who is an absolute <insert many libellous comments here>, but the rest are fairly decent people. Assuming it wasn't the former who banned you, you can probably approach them and talk about it.

I suspect you were told it was ok to restart and then not do when people realised X or Y (I don't know what the X or Y is, due to not doing anything with GRFs), maybe disinformation or something.

If you know the person who banned you and their name, you can start your IRC client and do /query USERNAME YOURMESSAGEHERE - you can do this without being on the channel you were banned from.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Redirect Left wrote:So, I cannot comment on that, my little bot that I had left stationed in #tycoon (yay crappy bans again) and #openttd died ages ago and i never bothered to revive it, so i don't know how much of what you said is true.

The majority of mods there are fair enough, there is one who is an absolute <insert many libellous comments here>, but the rest are fairly decent people. Assuming it wasn't the former who banned you, you can probably approach them and talk about it.

I suspect you were told it was ok to restart and then not do when people realised X or Y (I don't know what the X or Y is, due to not doing anything with GRFs), maybe disinformation or something.

If you know the person who banned you and their name, you can start your IRC client and do /query USERNAME YOURMESSAGEHERE - you can do this without being on the channel you were banned from.
I don't have an IRC client, and I don't want to get one. Even if I did, I don't know who banned me.
Licenses for my work...
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

You should also be able to do it from any online based clients, although if you intend to use IRC long term, downloading a local client is a much better option.
From the ban, it looks like it was credited to 'glx'. Although they are currently not operator in that channel, so either a temporary assignment or they currently haven't requested it from whatever system it is.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Redirect Left wrote:You should also be able to do it from any online based clients, although if you intend to use IRC long term, downloading a local client is a much better option.
From the ban, it looks like it was credited to 'glx'. Although they are currently not operator in that channel, so either a temporary assignment or they currently haven't requested it from whatever system it is.
glx? Is that a mod or the service provider?
Licenses for my work...
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

The fiirst set of details is the banned person, the second one is the person who placed the ban. (Unless OFTC uses an IRCd that does something odd, but I really doubt it)

Return to “Off-Topic”