Eurovision Song Contest, 2019

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

kamnet

Re: Eurovision Song Contest, 2019

Post by kamnet »

I noticed how quickly the cameras cut away from the Icelandic camp when they pulled out those banners.

I think this year was pretty tough. UK was good but so were lots of others. I think you're right on the assessment that UK plays it too safe. Next year we need somebody that goes balls to the walls.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

kamnet wrote:Next year we need somebody that goes balls to the walls.

I don't think we can send this, it's already been commercially released.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

The EBU, organisers of Eurovision, have suggested that Iceland may get punished for their action regarding the small Palestine statement they made during the results stage last night.

No word on what they'll do against Madonna though, given she did basically the same without permission in her interval act :lol:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/05/19/eurovisi ... d-9598227/
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I don't think the EBU dare punishing Iceland, they would face a massive backlash and be accused of picking sides in a political battle they are not meant to get involved with. There was not even a message, it just said the name of a region and was painted in the colours of said region's flag. Had it said "End the Israeli occupation of Palestine", then that would have been a message. As it was, their little statement merely said "Palestine".
My Scenarios:
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Even if it were a full-blown message, so what? Is Eurovision now willing to insert itself, as a licensing body, into international politics because of what a few independent people chose to do? That would be an extreme overreaction.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I have to agree, given the EBU always celebrates Eurovision and themselves as politics free, which is... interesting to say the least given some past performances. It'd go agasinst their entire message if they did indeed take action.

It'd also reflect poorly I feel if they did go after Iceland, given Madonna did the exact same thing, and even if you ignore the flags on the dancers, it is... somewhat plausible they did that of their own free will without Madonnas or EBUs knowledge, her song and performance had lyrics that could be, somewhat easily, deemed to be relating to the situation in Israel/Palestine.
So it's all a bit of a fuzz with that side of things I think.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Madonna has uploaded her performance on Eurovision to her own channel, all well, nothing out of the ordinary.

Except she appears to have altered it somewhat so her singing isn't quite as flat as it was on the night.

BBC News & Metro - the first has a direct comparison of pre and post edit.

Somewhat amusing Madonna appears to have auto-tuned herself, or at least got someone else to do that, before putting it on her Youtube.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Absurdly, the EBU got the results of this year's contest wrong. The Belarusian jury was excluded, and the "aggregated" scores that replaced the jury were given in reverse, that is that the country rated as 26th got the 12-pointer. After re-calculating, the EBU have revised the Netherlands' score from 492 to 498 and Italy's score from 465 to 472.

Another change is that Sweden overhauls Norway for P5, Sweden scoring 334 instead of 331 and Norway scoring 331 instead of 338.

This does not move the UK from 26th, rather it cements the UK as the last place with 11 points.
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Chrill wrote:Absurdly, the EBU got the results of this year's contest wrong. The Belarusian jury was excluded, and the "aggregated" scores that replaced the jury were given in reverse, that is that the country rated as 26th got the 12-pointer. After re-calculating, the EBU have revised the Netherlands' score from 492 to 498 and Italy's score from 465 to 472.

Another change is that Sweden overhauls Norway for P5, Sweden scoring 334 instead of 331 and Norway scoring 331 instead of 338.

This does not move the UK from 26th, rather it cements the UK as the last place with 11 points.
That's a little shambolic. Imagine if it had changed the winner!
Sad for Norway dropping out of the top 5, sometimes i do wish Eurovision was all about the public vote!
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Eurovision on Youtube is celebrating its 4 billion views mark, to celebrate all the money they've got off it, they've done a top 10 most viewed ESC song on Youtube list.

Some of the ones that made it are quite obvious, but some of the entries on the top 10 were a bit surprising to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gytokjn9Ge
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Redirect Left wrote: 06 Aug 2019 15:34 Eurovision on Youtube is celebrating its 4 billion views mark, to celebrate all the money they've got off it, they've done a top 10 most viewed ESC song on Youtube list.

Some of the ones that made it are quite obvious, but some of the entries on the top 10 were a bit surprising to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gytokjn9Ge
They're not making any money off of me, unfortunately.

"Video Unavailable". :evil:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

It seems most stuff on their YouTube is locked to an EU countries, Australia and a few other Europeon Broadcasting Union countries, basically if your country competes (or can compete if they do not) you get access, otherwise no :(
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Video unavailable to me too, using Sky Broadband in the UK. Bizarre.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

orudge wrote: 07 Aug 2019 21:56 Video unavailable to me too, using Sky Broadband in the UK. Bizarre.
that is peculiar, it works for me using Sky broadband in Northern England.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

multipleshape wrote: 15 Aug 2019 09:48 Yeah... Australia's not winning this year. That's just kooky. That's what I'd expect out of UK *lol*
:D :D :D :D
You do realise this event happened in May, right? I can also confirm they didn't win, but they did come quite high, within the top 10.

We'll see Australia until at least 2023 though, the Broadcasting Union in charge of Eurovision confirmed it in an article. So who knows what level they'll take it up to in the future.

Return to “Off-Topic”