Chrill's "Oh come on you stupid Windows 10!! Guys, can you help me with something?" Thread

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Chrill

Chrill's "Oh come on you stupid Windows 10!! Guys, can you help me with something?" Thread

Post by Chrill »

Hey!

So, as the title shows, I'm a bit annoyed with Windows 10 and was hoping some of you guys might have some input on these issues below!

1) We have two local user accounts on my computer, one for me and one for my wife. Whoever was logged in most recently is always automatically logged in. How can I make it so that the lock screen simply boots and I get to click the user account to activate?!
2) There's a stupid stupid sound bar thingy that opens in the top left whenever I turn the volume up or down. How can I keep it from opening? I don't need it, I just want to change volume
3) That stupid sound bar thingy. If I lower the volume more than just a bit, it suddenly jumps down a lot. Like one click for volume down decreases the volume with 2 (on a scale of 1-100) but something like the fifth click will lower volume by 10. So let's say I want to lower volume from 60 to 40 (on that there 1-100 scale), I'll go "58, 56, 54, 52, 50, 42, 34, 22, oh s*** damn it not again". How I can keep it from doing these incremental volume steps?

Also, Spotify regularly crashes on bootup and reinstalling it hasn't helped. Perhaps I'll have to get used to that.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
mak
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Chrill's "Oh come on you stupid Windows 10!! Guys, can you help me with something?" Thread

Post by mak »

Windows+R keys. this will open 'run'

Type: Netplwiz and click OK

This will open 'users accounts'

Ensure Tick box: 'Users must enter username and password to use this computer' is ticked

Click: Apply.

I have found this via a search engine, it is your perogative to ignore me.

Make sure you know both your usernames and passwords, would not like it to become a bick
Chrill

Re: Chrill's "Oh come on you stupid Windows 10!! Guys, can you help me with something?" Thread

Post by Chrill »

See, neither of us use passwords since it's a home computer which logs us both in. I've considered adding something simple (like the username equals the password) just to stop it from happening. On Windows 7, we'd be greeted with a screen and simply click our names. Much like how Netflix works, where you select which account is watching. :P
My Scenarios:
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Is the sound bar thing driver-specific (well, related to a helper program from your sound card presumably)?
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Nope, it's apparently a Windows 10 thing. I've Googled around and it seems others are bothered by it too but the only solutions I've seen posted are third party software aimed at suppressing it. See attached image. It covers a rather relevant part of the screen :P
Attachments
16515.PNG
16515.PNG (61.43 KiB) Viewed 3376 times
My Scenarios:
SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

mak wrote:Windows+R keys. this will open 'run'

Type: Netplwiz and click OK

This will open 'users accounts'

Ensure Tick box: 'Users must enter username and password to use this computer' is ticked

Click: Apply.

I have found this via a search engine, it is your perogative to ignore me.

Make sure you know both your usernames and passwords, would not like it to become a bick
AFAIK this should work with passwordless accounts. As for the sound bar and the change in increments, sorry, welcome to Wnidows 10.
Last known as: Weirdy
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Well, you can still use Windows 7... I recently installed one for a legacy programme.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
GunChleoc
Engineer
Engineer

Post by GunChleoc »

On my Windows 10, the sound bar disappears again automatically when I am finished with setting the volume. I use my laptop's keyboard shortcuts.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

GunChleoc wrote:On my Windows 10, the sound bar disappears again automatically when I am finished with setting the volume. I use my laptop's keyboard shortcuts.
Well yes, obviously. It takes a couple of seconds of me idling if I need something behind it, though, and if I accidentally move my mouse there prematurely it will remain.
My Scenarios:

Return to “Off-Topic”