FIFA World Cup 2018

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: FIFA World Cup 2018

Post by Pyoro »

I have no issues with VAR. World Cup refs have been pretty bad those last few years; or really, most of the tournaments since (and including) 2002 (which was really ridiculous!). VAR doesn't fix everything but most of the "errors" that are happening would have happened without VAR as well, and for the rest it's an improvement. There's been one or two decisions that took a while but I rather wait 2-3 minutes and have a good decision than somebody going out because they rushed. World Cup is just too important.

For ordinary league mode maybe they could impose strict time limits, but for this I'm fine with refs taking their time.

As for your Switzerland prediction; I'm not buying that either, but as I said before, the right side of the bracket currently looks fairly do-able, so yeah, it's basically primed for a surprise finalist! :o
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Chrill wrote:There isn't a snowballs chance in somewhere warm that England could dismantle Switzerland, mate. That one is the least of my concerns regarding those picks :P
Did you see us against Panama?! They should just award us the World Cup trophy on that performance alone! :mrgreen: I mean, if you see our Media, we may as well have won the entire thing.
Chrill wrote:Perhaps, a team should have 2-3 calls per game where they request VAR to be used.
I do like that idea, like an appeal in Cricket. Though, would that perhaps make it a bit too stop-start?

I'm just glad that the majority of VAR decision's are generally rather quick.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I vote if Chrill and his prediction comes true, we all owe him at least two beers or other drink of his choice at next TT-F meet!

I'd be gutted for Iceland to not make last 16,they have achieved so much already, and hopefully the Icelandic people will recognise that, even if they do drop out here.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Redirect Left wrote:I vote if Chrill and his prediction comes true, we all owe him at least two beers or other drink of his choice at next TT-F meet!
So far so good, France stayed ahead of Denmark :mrgreen:
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

(info from Flashscores)
(info from Flashscores)
England vs Switzerland.PNG (27.41 KiB) Viewed 762 times
England would beat Switzerland....
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Badger wrote:England vs Switzerland.PNG
England would beat Switzerland....
Switzerland would beat England. We'll have to wait and see :)

Also, darn it Nigeria. You broke my table by not keeping that 1-1 score.
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Well, if Switzerland are going to England, now is a good time to do it.

Croatia finish their group as the top, having won 3 out of 3. Not bad!
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Dave wrote:
Dave wrote:Harry Kane Golden Boot (8 goals including 1 hat trick).

England to win the lot.

You heard it here first.
:wink: :wink: :wink:

We will see chaps.
........... looking forward to Thursday :lol:
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Oh boy. 3-0, top of the group! Don't worry England, we'll take care of Switzerland for you.
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Aye, you did a Croatia and got a nice 3-0 when you needed it most. Not bad at all considering you had Swedend down to go out.

Plus, it means i don't have to buy you two drinks now!

Furthermore
[+] Spoiler
Germany have been knocked out of the World Cup!
They lost 2-0 to South Korea of all teams. Taking out the reigning champions.
One of the goals included a completely open shot, after the goal keeper had gone way out of his zone, and no where near the goal posts when the ball arrived there. BBC have a video of that failure here - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44635468 - for non brits, its on YouTube, the last part of this video (i've put the time to it) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKgLRu-Rd4k&t=3m54s
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Bit harsh calling it a "failure" of Neuer; they were already 1:0 down -> out of the World Cup. Either they'd have scored twice or it didn't matter to them how they lost ;)

But the game was ... just depressing. It wasn't even as haphazard as the one against Mexico, or as mixed as the one against Sweden. It was just ... slow. Directionless. South Korea didn't have many chances. But Germany barely had any either.

Out of the many things I worried about after the Sweden game being this harmless in front of goal definitely wasn't one of them. ^^;

Mentality just seemed all over the place this year. Rightfully gone out after today's non-performance.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

What I enjoyed the most about the S. Korea - Germany game is that Germany actually ended up bottom of the group. Also, you know, I have a German co-worker. We emerged from a meeting room cheering and singing as he emerged from another rather upset. That was fun. :mrgreen:
My Scenarios:
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Redirect Left wrote:I vote if Chrill and his prediction comes true, we all owe him at least two beers or other drink of his choice at next TT-F meet!
Thank god it hasn't come true!
Redirect Left wrote:One of the goals included a completely open shot, after the goal keeper had gone way out of his zone, and no where near the goal posts when the ball arrived
That's the risk of being a sweeper keeper, you occasionally get caught out of position. I'd still rather have Neuer in net instead of any other keeper in the world, except maybe Ederson, Ederson is amazing.
Pyoro wrote:It was just ... slow. Directionless.
Should have taken Leroy Sané instead of Brandt in my opinion, he would have brought an injection of pace and a different dimension to that German team. How you can justify not taking someone who played 32 times in a team that walked the English Premier League last season, a league well known for being extremely competitive, and was the UK's young player of the year, I don't understand anyway.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Pilot wrote:
Redirect Left wrote:One of the goals included a completely open shot, after the goal keeper had gone way out of his zone, and no where near the goal posts when the ball arrived
That's the risk of being a sweeper keeper, you occasionally get caught out of position. I'd still rather have Neuer in net instead of any other keeper in the world, except maybe Ederson, Ederson is amazing.
Well, they were 1-0 down with 2-3 minutes to go. Neuer played as striker, more or less. It's a shame he lost the ball, but in reality he had to be up there to give them a one-man advantage.
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Just heard on the ENG-BEL match, we've not lost to either Japan or Columbia in international football. So that's a nice bit of feeling going forward, whichever path we end up taking.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I've put you down for Colombia, so that would add up in my playoffs bracket. Also, you know, the winner of Colombia-England would play the winner of Sweden-Switzerland so there's that. The chance to taunt you lot for four years is a lovely opportunity.
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Chrill wrote:I've put you down for Colombia, so that would add up in my playoffs bracket. Also, you know, the winner of Colombia-England would play the winner of Sweden-Switzerland so there's that. The chance to taunt you lot for four years is a lovely opportunity.
We'll be sure to try making sure its you that is getting taunted for four years ;)

Panama crash out, but not before scoring a goal, making history for the World Cup. Every team this year scored at least two goals, a feat never accomplished in a World Cup to date.
Panama can also celebrate as they finish their cup campaign having scored the same amount of goals as last event winners, Germany!
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Redirect Left wrote:(...)the same amount of goals as last event winners, Germany!
Yeah, that's on us. Sorry guys.
My Scenarios:
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Speaking of which, if anyone wants one this year, you'd better organise it - unfortunately I won't be able to attend/organise this year (unless you want it in Aberdeen).
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Well.
Spain have been knocked out by the Russians. Another big name is out, and that's my bet lost! Argentina were knocked out yesterday by France, Portugal also went out by Uruguay.

I've still no idea who is more likely to win this World Cup, but a lot of big names aren't in the mix anymore!

Return to “Off-Topic”