FIFA World Cup 2018

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Simozzz
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

FIFA World Cup 2018

Post by Simozzz »

It'll start tomorrow and for the first time in Russia.
Many things changed because of that, mostly better way. Especially transport infrastructure. I'm visiting Samara airport regulary and it changed drasticly. And what differs it from Sochi Olympics is that not only one region improved this time. But that's not what this topic would be about.

Anyone from here will come to Russia? And who is your favorite this time?

Mine - Iceland. Hope they'll make it to playoff. Wanted to by tickets to Argentina-Iceland but they sold out before any other match. :?
Sorry for my bad English.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: FIFA World Cup 2018

Post by Pyoro »

I don't trust any of the favorites.

Brazil - looking for redemption, but the pressure will be enormous (anyone even considered what'd happen if they collapsed again? ^^) and while Tite is charismatic I'm doubtful about his tactical and organizational skills
France - maybe the most talented starting 11 on paper, but again I'm a bit doubtful about Deschamps. Also the relationship between him and the team and among the team ... if things get tough, I could see them falling apart
Spain - great team obviously, but they also had that in 2016 and 2014, for the last two tournaments, and nothing came of it. Now with the coach gone ... I'm doubtful.
Germany - lots of players coming from difficult seasons and injuries. I don't think this team is quite as determined as the one that one the last World Cup.

So it'll be quite interesting to see who'll really win this thing ^^

Wish it weren't in Russia though.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I really don't like the fact the cup is in Russia. The only place worse that I could think of is Qatar. Oh wait...

I can see Poland doing OK. And Sweden haven't let a single goal past them for several games now, so at least we can keep a clean sheet. That's step 1. Since play-offs against Italy, we've played 8 games and conceded 3 goals. We've only scored 4 though :lol:
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

On a bump note (What? Sue me!), I like Robbie Williams a bit more now. Flipping the bird on the TV camera while opening the World Cup? Love it.
My Scenarios:
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Spain - Portugal was very entertaining. The other games today maybe a bit lacking in goals but could have been worse.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Oh god, i think my country is going to die tomorrow against Australia... but hope makes you live.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Personally I am rooting for Spain to be the winner at the end, however the fact Iceland has even managed to get into the World Cup is a huge achievement for them, and I hope they win at least a few of their matches, tomorrow they're up against Argentina though...
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

So far I've been pretty happy with the quality of football. For a World Cup, everything but Russia vs Arabia had some decent football.

Of course, can't expect too much at those early stages. No team really at their best so far. But that leads to fun results like Spain - Portugal 3:3 or Argentina - Iceland 1:1 so it's all good.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

England to go out in the Quarter-Finals to Germany on Penalties.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Redirect Left wrote:Personally I am rooting for Spain to be the winner at the end, however the fact Iceland has even managed to get into the World Cup is a huge achievement for them, and I hope they win at least a few of their matches, tomorrow they're up against Argentina though...
No worries on their part, Iceland held Argentina to an impressive draw.

Two years ago, they tied Portugal and beat England. This year, they tied Argentina. Who is the best player in the world, Ronaldo or Messi? Hannes Halldórsson, clearly. That's the Icelandic goalkeeper, who up until the age of 29 was still only an amateur footballer. In 2014, age 30, he moved to Norway and had to quit his day job as a film director. That's right, the Icelandic keeper who saved Messi's penalty yesterday turned pro quite recently.

I love that team.
My Scenarios:
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Chrill wrote:Iceland held Argentina to an impressive draw.

I love that team.
Would it be a thing to see these horses at final ? :mrgreen:
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Dave

Post by Dave »

Harry Kane Golden Boot (8 goals including 1 hat trick).

England to win the lot.

You heard it here first.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Dave wrote:Harry Kane Golden Boot (8 goals including 1 hat trick).

England to win the lot.

You heard it here first.
You'll finish third in the group behind Panama and Belgium.
My Scenarios:
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

England to win the lot.

You heard it here first.
Ha, okayyyyyy..…..

I really hope we breeze past Tunisia later. There's a worrying trend of the tournament favourites not doing well in their opening matches but as England aren't a favourite it won't be an issue :lol:
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||
Dave

Post by Dave »

England to win the lot.

You heard it here first.
:wink: :wink: :wink:

We will see chaps.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Dave wrote:

England to win the lot.

You heard it here first.
:wink: :wink: :wink:

We will see chaps.
You lucky sods, you were on course for a tie. Start with Rashford next game, he opened Tunisia right up with his speed. And seriously, did you not bring any midfielders to the world cup?
My Scenarios:
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

God know's what will happen when we play Belgium after that performance last night. 3-0? 4-0? To England of course! :mrgreen:
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

Chrill wrote: You lucky sods, you were on course for a tie. Start with Rashford next game, he opened Tunisia right up with his speed. And seriously, did you not bring any midfielders to the world cup?
Dele Alli, Jesse Lingard, Jordan Henderson, Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Eric Dier, Fabian Delph.
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Badger wrote:
Chrill wrote: You lucky sods, you were on course for a tie. Start with Rashford next game, he opened Tunisia right up with his speed. And seriously, did you not bring any midfielders to the world cup?
Dele Alli, Jesse Lingard, Jordan Henderson, Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Eric Dier, Fabian Delph.
Lingard is arguably a winger/midfielder, Delph is a defender who has in the past played in the midfield. That leaves you with 4 midfielders in a 23-man strong troop. :mrgreen:

Your right and left midfielders in the first game were defenders!
My Scenarios:
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

Chrill wrote:
Badger wrote:
Lingard is arguably a winger/midfielder, Delph is a defender who has in the past played in the midfield. That leaves you with 4 midfielders in a 23-man strong troop. :mrgreen:

Your right and left midfielders in the first game were defenders!
Lingard is an attacking midfielder. Delph is a midfielder and has played most of his career in that position. Only in the last season or so has he filled in in a defensive role for Man City.

We're actually playing a wing-back formation, 3 centre backs with 2 wing backs, that push forward when we're attacking but fall back as orthodox full backs when defending (very similar to how Chelsea set up with Alonso and Moses as their wing backs).
Ashley Young played most of his career as an attacking winger but fell out of favour for other systems/players at Man Utd until Mourinho needed an emergency left back. It's rejuvenated his career.
Trippier is a natural attacking right back with a pretty decent cross in his locker and had a superb season at Burnley a few years back before Spurs snapped him up.

Return to “Off-Topic”