Stephen Hawking dead at 76

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Stephen Hawking dead at 76

Post by Redirect Left »

The British genius Stephen Hawking has today died. The theoretical physicist, cosmologist and author died at his home in the early hours of the 14th March, 2018.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43396008

I usually wouldn't start a thread for this sort of thing, however the majority of us are probably way nerdier and geekier than we'd like to admit. I myself have read a few of his works, and looked up to the man since I was young enough to look up to a dark sky and mildly understand what was beyond the planet.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Stephen Hawking dead at 76

Post by YNM »

My condolences.

But, given his conditions, perhaps it was the best for him in the long run...
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
SilverSurferZzZ
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by SilverSurferZzZ »

Today the world is a worse place :(

We've lost a genius among geniuses and the most important thing of all...
A beautiful and wonderful person, a real man.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
NewGRFs__
City names/Landscape: Naruto | Planets | Lovers | Halloween | Kaijus
Vehicles: Famous Cars | Super Cars | Racing Cars | Cars Cars | Improved M Cars

SilverSurferZzZ has left the building!
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

YNM wrote:My condolences. But, given his conditions, perhaps it was the best for him in the long run...
Given he was only given two years to live upon his initial diagnosis, I think he more than covered the long run. *nod*

Personally, I don't consider Hawking to be a genius. Brilliant, yes. But what he did more than anything was diligently research a topic and then passionately argued for or against it until the rest of the world reached a consensus, to which he would concede if he was on the other side of it. He was excellent at facilitating passionate discussion, which this world desperately needed and still needs.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

kamnet wrote:Given he was only given two years to live upon his initial diagnosis, I think he more than covered the long run. *nod*
Well, an end is inevitable. (well some will protest for this statement but surely that will end as well.)
kamnet wrote:Personally, I don't consider Hawking to be a genius. Brilliant, yes. But what he did more than anything was diligently research a topic and then passionately argued for or against it until the rest of the world reached a consensus, to which he would concede if he was on the other side of it.
Newton was even more hard-headed, so was Einstein but not as much. I'd say that classifies as something.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
siu238X
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by siu238X »

kamnet wrote:
YNM wrote:My condolences. But, given his conditions, perhaps it was the best for him in the long run...
Given he was only given two years to live upon his initial diagnosis, I think he more than covered the long run. *nod*
And I thought "lasted to slightly outlive even Einstein" (Hawking lived longer than Einstein for about a month) was more interesting...

Return to “Off-Topic”