Eurovision Song Contest 2018

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

EXTspotter
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Post by EXTspotter »

The list below contains all the finalists ranked by their place on the Swedish music charts:

5 Mendez - Everyday
6 Samir & Viktor - Shuffla
9 Felix Sandman - Every Single Day
17 Benjamin Ingrosso - Dance You Off
20 Liamoo - Last Breath
26 Margaret - In My Cabana
29 Rolandz - Fuldanz
41 Mariette - For You
43 Moncho - Cuba Libre
49 John Lundvik - My Turn
59 Jessica Andersson - Party Voice
62 Renaida - All the Feels

None of them are winners; but there are a few that I like. My favourite is still Mariette, but if something like Rolandz or Samir & Viktor win, I would also be pleased because people take Eurovision a bit too seriously these days.

I am also happy that Finland made the best choice of song for Saara Aalto. I prefer it to any of the Swedish entries

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I like Saara Aalto, however I hope shes got better than her X Factor UK days, she was often a little poo when it came to live performances without any backing anything to cover it up...
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Bwahaha, Mendez is the highest charting Eurovision entry for Sweden? That's rich. I do quite like his Despacito 2.0 though.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I think of all the Melodifestivalen entries, I still have to back Rolandz, regardless of chart success. His act is just so, i dunno how to term it 'Eurovison'. Over the top and glam. Fits in good.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

The singer is a famous comedian in Sweden. He's not much of a singer, really. He was part of a hugely successful comedy group in the 90s and has just kept on doing movies and TV shows since.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Gustafsson
My Scenarios:
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Speaking of Melodifestivalen, this medley of old entries is fantastic:

Funny fact, the first two artists in this medley just so happens to be competing in the finals tomorrow. All songs are great. Good stuff.
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Norways Eurovision selection competiton, 'Melodi Grand Prix' has selected its choice. It's Alexander Rybak, who won in 2009 with 'Fairytale'

Will he be able to make it two wins out of two appearances in May?

For those who forget easily, this was his winning entry;

and this is his new one

Source: official Eurovision website
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

A former winner rarely returns to win. Rybak is no Logan, is he? We've tried it here a few times, among those are:

We've now gone and chosen the utterly boring Benjamin Ingrosso. He'll probably do OK in Eurovision. Finish 8th or something. The song that placed 12th and last in Melodifestivalen also scored the third highest viewer vote. Goes to show the jury carries importance in Melodifestivalen. Sure, they may help us pick a "better" song, but then again why win with a song we didn't even choose? This year, both jury and fans voted for the same entry.

Here's an "interesting" fact. Since Sweden takes Eurovision so seriously, numerous countries enter songs at least partly written by Swedes:

2010: Belarus, Denmark, Georgia, Norway, Ireland, Azerbaijan
2011: Russia, Azerbaijan (2)
2012: Italy, United Kingdom, Ireland (2), Malta, Greece, Cyprus, Norway (2), Azerbaijan (3), Spain
2013: Georgia (2), Finland, Norway (3), Russia (2), Netherlands, Azerbaijan (4)
2014: Azerbaijan (5), Ireland (3), Denmark (2), Russia (3), United Kingdom (2), Ukraine
2015: Russia (4), Spain (2), Netherlands (2), Macedonia, Moldova, Georgia (3), Azerbaijan (6)
2016: Azerbaijan (7), Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Cyprus (2), Georgia (4), Lithuania, Norway (4), Malta (2), Moldova (2), Russia (5)
2017: Azerbaijan (8), Bulgaria (2), Croatia, Cyprus (3), Macedonia (2), Greece (2), Ireland (4), Serbia, Switzerland
2018 so far: Azerbaijan (9), Austria, Cyprus (4), Finland (2), Denmark (3), Moldova (3), Malta (3), Poland

Now keep in mind all 2018 entries aren't published yet :mrgreen:
My Scenarios:
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Chrill wrote:Since Sweden takes Eurovision so seriously, numerous countries enter songs at least partly written by Swedes
Sweden is taking over the world, one song at a time!
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I'm finding some strong songs in this years competition, and at this point in time. All countries have selected songs and artists.
I've taken the time to listen to them all, at least twice. So it isn't first instinct i'm commenting.

Continue beyond this point at your own peril, it contains a lot of opinions you may not agree with :P

So, here is my thoughts for this years competition. I think the below will almost certainly make up the bulk of the top 12. I also tip the winners below.

Aisel - X My Heart (AZERBAIJAN) - A slow start, but towards the middllle it picks up and becomes a very catchy pop song. I think this will get through the qualifiers easy and be a strong contender for the final.
Equinox - Bones (BULGARIA) - I'm not sure how I can describe this one, but I found myself managing to sing along to it without hearing the song in its entirity first. I think that'll stick in peoples minds for that reason. Out of 11 attempts, they have failed to qualify 8 times. I'm hoping this can increment it, it's a good song.
SuRie - Storm (UNITED KINGDOM) - This song is, in my opinion, one of the better ones the UK have put out lately. Unfortunately I feel we could put out the best song the world has ever konwn, and we'd still not conjure up enough votes to win. This is one where listening twice made me appreciate it, and not disregard it.
Netta - Toy (ISRAEL) - This is another odd to describe song, but it sticks in the head for sure - and if they do some nice performance at the show. I think it'll be a good contender for Israel. It's so different, and original compared to past songs.
Saara Aalto - Monsters (FINLAND) - Good and strong song for Europes tastes, Saara is well known and was quite popular on The X Factor UK, where she made the final 3.
Eleni Foureira - Fuego (CYPRUS) - Catchy song, sung in English, although the title 'Fuego' is Spanish for 'fire', and repeated a lot throughout the song.
ZiBBZ - Stones (SWITZERLAND) - The female singers voice is amazing, and sounds very well rounded out, I think this another that'll appeal to the Eurovision audience.
Jessika (ft Jenifer Brening) - Who We Are (SAN MARINO) - Catchy in a way I can't quite figure out. If they do the same performance at Eurovision, with the dancing robots, I think it'll appeal, without that performance, perhaps won't stick in peoples heads though.
Rasmussen - Higher Ground (DENMARK) - I think this song will stick in peoples minds, as its a little different to the others, although the song isn't the strongest, I feel the performance and difference might put this one high.
Mélovin - Under The Ladder (POLAND) - This is a bit different than what Poland have done in recent years, I think it works well for them.
Mikolas Josef - Lie To Me (CZECHIA^) - This song has a lot of suggestive lyrics, and musical cuts where the song was obviously leading into a curse word. This will definitely stand out in peoples minds, the singer himself also stands out.
Benjamin Ingrosso - Dance You Off (SWEDEN) - I don't really like this song, it doesn't stand out to me. But Sweden is Sweden, and everyone likes them. So I think this will garner votes regardless. I feel its the wrong song, in the wrong year. (Sorry Chrill and Sweden :|)
Alexander Rybak - That's How You Write A Song (NORWAY) - Rybak is back! A catchy tune, I don't think it's as strong as his winning entry Fairytale in 2009. But it's still a good song, and i think he'll dig up plenty of votes with his comeback
Jessica Mauboy - We Got Love (AUSTRALIA) - Quite a meaningful song, and Australias record since starting in Eurovision is positive. I think this could go far.

I'm personally going to tip either Israel or Czechia^ to pull out the win this time around. Those songs are the unique ones I think for this years competition, and unique in a winning way, not a "just because you can, means you should" way. We've had plenty of Eurovision songs that prove just because you can, doesn't mean you should. I think Australia may round off the top 3, along with these two.

I'll be sure to come back to this after the competition, to see how well (or horrendously) i ended up doing.

Also, I think this years voting may be interesting, considering how widely known the likely poisoning of a former Russian spy in England (along with his daughter) by Russian (or even directly Putin) is. France, Germany, Netherlands & Belgium are thought to be heavily agitated by the situation.

^ Czech Republic - I'm not sure if that new name they wanted caught on...
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Yup, I'm fond of Czech Republic and Israel. Estonia is neat too. Saara of Finland does not quite do it for me.
Redirect Left wrote:Benjamin Ingrosso - Dance You Off (SWEDEN) - I don't really like this song, it doesn't stand out to me. But Sweden is Sweden, and everyone likes them. So I think this will garner votes regardless. I feel its the wrong song, in the wrong year. (Sorry Chrill and Sweden :|)
I'm with you on that. It's not a great song.
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

After looking around for betting odds (I nearly always put a little something on Eurovision), it's a lot more decidedly a single country in with a chance this year. Unless something hugely changes to upset those odds.
unfortunately the odds currently are so extremely in this one countries favor, the return for betting on them is quite weak. So i'd have to back the many underdogs to see a real chance of a good return.

Incase you're interested in the bookies opinion;
[+] Spoiler
We're off to Israel for 2019!
Also, tonight. There is a party in Israel. named 'Israel Calling'. 25 of the entrants are performing there. This has become a bit of a tradition. With some countries inviting participants to events before the actual Eurovision contest in May. This year, the majority have gone to Israels event.

There is expected to be streams of the event, for those interested.
Jerusalem Post
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

So, who has a live stream to the semi-finals that will broadcast into the US? Once again the official ESC stream is geoblocking the US :evil:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

kamnet wrote:So, who has a live stream to the semi-finals that will broadcast into the US? Once again the official ESC stream is geoblocking the US :evil:
I cheat a little, I have a plugin named 'Proxmate' that just emulates lots of locations to unlock content the globe over. I can watch Australian & American content for example without going on hunts for streams.

Some observations from today
[+] Spoiler
Cyprus - wow, that was a lot better than i expected - easily a favorite now i think
Israel - really concerned for their chances now. The staging I found very very weak.
UK - I hope SuRie sings stronger than she did on the previews for the UKs song, else it'll be a rather tedious final voting for the UK again.
Czech Republic - This could be their biggest chance at winning since they started competing, I think. They only qualified for the final once in the past, and came 25th. So this will be pretty big for them.

Jon Ola Sand - still a deer in headlights expression after so many years being the overall guy in charge on the day!

My previous opinion on how the final will look and end, is already looking quite different to what the even possible outcomes now are.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I found Cyprus to be really poor, really dull. A very typical 12th place finish. I cannot fathom why they are suddenly leading all the polls. Israel was strong yesterday, the performance was great.

My favorite is Estonia, I think. Extremely impressive.
My Scenarios:
Griff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Griff »

Some surprises from yesterday. No Greece, no Belgium and the first year that Azerbaijan hasn't advanced.

I hope Semi-Final 2 is just as tough.

Happy that Lithuania got through though, it was soooo sweet.
Ukončete, prosím, výstup a nástup, dveře se zavírají
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

So the second semi-final is over, and well...
[+] Spoiler
This is the first time that Azerbaijan & Romania haven't qualified for the final, since qualifications begun.
Not too much of a biggie, but it's also the first time that Russia have not qualified for the final. Perhaps their rather rollercoaster of 12 month since the last Eurovision has got Europe a little fedup of them?
Also last years winner is causing a little upset http://metro.co.uk/2018/05/10/portugals ... ry-7534249
Griff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Griff »

Redirect Left wrote:Also last years winner is causing a little upset http://metro.co.uk/2018/05/10/portugals ... ry-7534249
He's been talking down ESC ever since he won. I seem to recall his victory speech being a thinly veiled attack, so it is not altogether unexpected that he wouldn't like anything other than his sort of music.
Ukončete, prosím, výstup a nástup, dveře se zavírají
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Griff wrote: He's been talking down ESC ever since he won. I seem to recall his victory speech being a thinly veiled attack, so it is not altogether unexpected that he wouldn't like anything other than his sort of music.
Yeah. His his speech was basically attacking 'fast food music' with no feeling behind them. He's probably one of the poorest ESC representatives to have won it.
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

Am I the only one still baffled that Australia does compete in Eurovision? And that it wasn't the first time as well baffled me even more. Loved the song by the way! :D

It got me thinking though, maybe a global song contest would be cool to see as well. Invite every country and see what other continents with vastly different cultures can bring to the table. :)

Return to “Off-Topic”