How Far Have You Travelled?

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

How Far Have You Travelled?

Post by Redirect Left »

Little bit of a thing, perhaps.

Let's see how well travelled we all are across the globe! Below is an image that shows how far I have travelled... and yes it's all within the island of Great Britain... but technically I've still been to two countries!

I'm expecting nearly all of you to have travelled further than myself, and some may even need to zoom Google Maps out to the entire globe, but let's see how many places everyone has been to.
uk.png
(290.88 KiB) Not downloaded yet
The blue dot in the middle is my current (and home) location. So I've gone coast to coast in the bit of England I live in, at least!
Also, Glasgow - by far the most pleasant surprise of Scotland for me. Really nice city and very nice people, hardly the stereotype portrayed by many of the English folk!
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Re: How Far Have You Travelled?

Post by orudge »

I have flown 258,011 miles, taken trains for a good few thousand miles (need to try to get back into my RailMiles), and have driven over 50,000 miles (can get a more exact figure later).

In terms of extents, the most northerly place I’ve been is Orkney, most southerly Melbourne, most easterly is Auckland and most westernly is Vancouver. I’ve been to a bunch of countries (some interesting examples include Brazil, the Maldives and Hong Kong), but not as many as I’d like. Within the UK, I’ve been to all four constituent countries, and lived in three of them.
Train<In>Vain
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Train<In>Vain »

Redirect Left wrote:Little bit of a thing, perhaps.

Let's see how well travelled we all are across the globe! Below is an image that shows how far I have travelled... and yes it's all within the island of Great Britain... but technically I've still been to two countries!

I'm expecting nearly all of you to have travelled further than myself, and some may even need to zoom Google Maps out to the entire globe, but let's see how many places everyone has been to.

uk.png
The blue dot in the middle is my current (and home) location. So I've gone coast to coast in the bit of England I live in, at least!
Also, Glasgow - by far the most pleasant surprise of Scotland for me. Really nice city and very nice people, hardly the stereotype portrayed by many of the English folk!
Seriously? I covered more miles in the UK in 3 weeks, by British Rail. Can't believe you haven't made it to Canterbury or Dover.
Rookie of the Year: 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Well, I've been to the following countries:

Sweden
Denmark
Norway
Finland
Latvia
Greece
Spain
USA

I've also landed in Germany and France but never left the airports.

For Spain, I've been to both mainland Spain (Málaga) and the Canary Islands (Gran Canaria) outside Africa. Greece, I've been to various islands but never the mainland.

Within Sweden, I've been as far south as the southernmost tip, and as far north as Östersund which is really far north from where I live but not really near the northernmost part of Sweden. Then again, there is literally nothing of value further north than that.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
skippern
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by skippern »

From Tromsø (Norway) in North, Ushuaia (Argentina) in south, Dubai (EUA) in east and Sandusky (USA) in the west, that's 32 individual countries. Both work and leisure. I have no idea of milage, but circumnavigated the world quite a few times in car, plane, and ship, probably short of halfway in train

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Skippern
OpenTTD Mac user
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

I guess I'm not too much of a traveler, but I managed to visit at least a bunch of the nearby countries a bunch of those further out.
travelmap.png
travelmap.png (38.11 KiB) Viewed 7269 times
Darker shades for "I have graced this country with my humble personage more often".
(and just driving through or something doesn't count)

So that's Germany (obviously), then Italy and France (no clue where I was more often), then Austria/Switzerland/Spain. Czech Republic and Poland was like 2-3 times, and the rest once (although my stays in Japan (Tokyo) and the US (Phoenix) were unsurprisingly longer than usual, so... ^^). I might have forgotten something (was I actually in Portugal once? I'm not entirely sure ^^;;; ).

I'm fairly sure I'll end up adding China to the list, as it currently looks. Otherwise, dunno. Probably some more visits to Japan and the US at some point, but I'm usually content with Western European destinations ;)
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Chrill wrote:Well, I've been to the following countries:

Sweden Denmark Norway Finland Latvia Greece Spain USA
Oh, we're not special enough to be included then? ;)

I haven't been to lots of different places around the world (yet!).
Really, the only two countries I've been to outside the UK are France and Norway.
Technically I have been into Finland, but it was only for a couple of hours on a bit of a road trip :P

In France I've been to:
Lille, Toulon, and Saint Tropez.

In Norway I've been to:
Alta (Many times!), Tromsø, Oslo, Asker, Sandvika, Bergen, and Kristansand.

UK wise I've been to various places up and down the country so it's impossible to list them all.
The main places I go to regularly, usually for work, are:
London, Cambridge, and Peterborough.

Places I've been to quite a number of times are:
West Hertfordshire, Ebbsfleet a few times, Portmouth, St. Ives/Penzance, Crewe, and York.

And places I've been to only once, twice, or few odd times are:
Brighton, Ashford, Canterbury, Margate, Beer, Torquay, Falmoth, Kings Lynn, Sheffield, Carlise, Manchester, Birmingham/Kidderminster (forgot to add to the map), and probably loads of other random little areas that I cannot remember.

Fun making a map though! Had to do two though. One for UK, one for Europe.
Red being the places I travel very often (unsurprisingly!).
Yellow being places I've been to a number of times, and/or still travel to on the odd occasion.
Green being the more 'been once or twice, or the odd few times'.
Attachments
UK Travels.png
(1.05 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Europe Travels.png
Europe Travels.png (559.53 KiB) Viewed 1065 times
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Hmm countries visited:

Norway
Sweden
Denmark
Netherlands
Belgium
France
Spain
Germany
Monaco
Italy
Vatican City
Slovenia
Croatia
Switzerland
Austria
Czech Republic/Czechia
Hungary
Romania

Never been to Republic of Ireland but have made it to the North.

Outside of Europe:
USA
Canada
New Zealand
Singapore
Vietnam
Hong Kong

No idea on the mileage I've covered but definitely a lot in the UK for sure. I've easily done over 50,000 miles by road, a lot racked up between Norfolk and Scotland during university years.

Train travel is a complete uncertainty, I did a lot of the European countries with an Interrail ticket and I went up to the arctic circle via train in Sweden/Norway.
If I carry on doing silly trips from the home counties to Carlisle and back in a day the miles will really clock up alarmingly fast.

Edit: Just the other month, I drove with a mate around California, Nevada, Arizona and Utah and that was over 3200 miles on the hire car.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Geo Ghost wrote:
Chrill wrote:Well, I've been to the following countries:

Sweden Denmark Norway Finland Latvia Greece Spain USA
Oh, we're not special enough to be included then? ;)
Apparently not.

I've been to the UK twice! I've also been to the Czech Republic which clearly I forgot too.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Train<In>Vain wrote: Seriously? I covered more miles in the UK in 3 weeks, by British Rail. Can't believe you haven't made it to Canterbury or Dover.
I don't really get wanderlust, I only go to places I need to go :p
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Well, UK-wise, I've been as far North as Inverness, as far South as Gibraltar (or Penzance for the Mainland), as far West as Lisburn/Newry (NI) and as far east as the UK portal of the Chunnel. Not been to the likes of Southampton or Portsmouth yet however.

As for countries abroad, I've done the following:
Ireland (Dublin, Bray)
France (Paris)
Belgium (Brussels)
Netherlands (Amsterdam)
Germany (Berlin)
Switzerland (Geneva)
Italy (Rome, Artesina)
Vatican City (Vatican City)
Spain (Mallorca, Malaga, Barcelona, Fuertaventura)
Greece (Rhodes)

Rail travel is very much an unknown amount - an incomplete list of Rail Mileages that I have currently amounts to 26,300 miles, but like I say, that is far from Complete. That also includes mileages in other countries, including the train to Amsterdam (from Manchester).
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Well the farthest i've been is Tunisia :)
Train<In>Vain
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Train<In>Vain »

Been to ( * denotes spent at least a year there):

*Japan
Korea
Philippines
Hong Kong
China 5 times :shock:
British Columbia
Alberta
Ontario
Quebec
England
Wales
Scotland
Belgium
Luxembourg
*France
Germany
Italy
Switzerland
Monaco
*Burundi
Kenya
Zaire
Swaziland
South Africa
Zimbabwe
All of the 50 US states (except ND) & Puerto Rico
Rookie of the Year: 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

See Attached :)
Attachments
Visit Tracker.png
Visit Tracker.png (32.63 KiB) Viewed 7210 times
Chris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Chris »

I'm fairly well travelled in the UK, although still not been to much of the Highlands, only Skye & Fort William/Glencoe area two times. Also missed out on nearly all of Ireland & NI. Normal areas on the map I've visited and pink sprayed areas I've not.

Abroad though I've not travelled that widely (yet..): Mainly France, Spain & Portugal, but also Canada, Norway, Austria, Italy, Belgium, Germany & Switzerland (Geneva for about 24h)
Attachments
uk.png
(472.91 KiB) Not downloaded yet
world.png
(545.03 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Screenshots

Formerly Class 165
Train<In>Vain
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Train<In>Vain »

Does movement via armored personnel carriers and military cargo aircraft count as "travel"?
skippern
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by skippern »

Train<In>Vain wrote:Does movement via armored personnel carriers and military cargo aircraft count as "travel"?
I counted work travel, including on ships as crew member, so I'd say yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Skippern
OpenTTD Mac user
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Train<In>Vain wrote:Been to ( * denotes spent at least a year there):

*Japan
Woo! What were you doing in your year there and where did you live?
Train<In>Vain wrote:Seriously? I covered more miles in the UK in 3 weeks, by British Rail. Can't believe you haven't made it to Canterbury or Dover.
Not unusual for tourists to be better travelled than locals in a country! Mainly due to rationale for leisure travel. Tourists are unlikely to visit your auntie Ethel in Barnsley, and are more likely to have gone to Edinburgh to see some beautiful cityscapes. But then if British people want to see some nice cityscapes, they're more likely to jet to Prague, Stockholm, Barcelona, etc.

Certainly I've been to places in Japan that most Japanese people haven't been to. (My highlight being the Tanesashi Coast near Hachinohe, Aomori).
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

If you want to see exactly where I've flown, OpenFlights has a shiny map.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

JamieLei wrote:Not unusual for tourists to be better travelled than locals in a country! Mainly due to rationale for leisure travel.
Yeah, it's a funny effect. I knew the Tokyo subways better by heart than the ones in Munich. Since here I only used the ones I use all the time. While there I explored everywhere an criss-crossed the city many, many times. ^^

Also, while I have visited dozens of castles and residences (inevitable in Western European countries I'd venture ^^) I've never been to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nymphenburg_Palace
which is right here. :mrgreen:

Return to “Off-Topic”