How Far Have You Travelled?

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Chrill

Re: How Far Have You Travelled?

Post by Chrill »

Pyoro wrote:
JamieLei wrote:Not unusual for tourists to be better travelled than locals in a country! Mainly due to rationale for leisure travel.
Yeah, it's a funny effect. I knew the Tokyo subways better by heart than the ones in Munich. Since here I only used the ones I use all the time. While there I explored everywhere an criss-crossed the city many, many times. ^^

Also, while I have visited dozens of castles and residences (inevitable in Western European countries I'd venture ^^) I've never been to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nymphenburg_Palace
which is right here. :mrgreen:
Very interesting, and indeed it rings true. When JamieLei visited me in Stockholm, I struggled to think of what to do. Despite this, Stockholm is often hailed as an amazing place for tourists, with many sights to take in and many museums to visit.

There's still a lot more for you, Jamie!! The Wasa ship is one!
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Train<In>Vain
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Train<In>Vain »

JamieLei wrote: Woo! What were you doing in your year there and where did you live?
I lived in the barracks on Marine Corps Air Station Futenma. My job was managing a stockpile of replacement parts for Marine Air Control Group 18, and attended college courses in the evenings. It was my first time going abroad - I was 19. Lots of snorkeling on the weekends 8)
Rookie of the Year: 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Train<In>Vain wrote:It was my first time going abroad - I was 19. Lots of snorkeling on the weekends 8)
I'm certainly glad I didn't have to wait until I was 19, and for my job, to travel abroad. I've enjoyed seeing the world whilst younger. Of course, you've certainly made up for your late start in travelling since then, an impressive list of countries.
Train<In>Vain wrote:Zaire
Train<In>Vain wrote:by British Rail
Certainly showing your age with these two! I belive that both of these were gone before I was even born! :lol:
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Train<In>Vain wrote:
JamieLei wrote: Woo! What were you doing in your year there and where did you live?
I lived in the barracks on Marine Corps Air Station Futenma. My job was managing a stockpile of replacement parts for Marine Air Control Group 18, and attended college courses in the evenings. It was my first time going abroad - I was 19. Lots of snorkeling on the weekends 8)
Sounds amazing! I've never made it to Okinawa; maybe next time!
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

UK:
Ayrshire, Mid Wales, Vale of Glamorgan, Cardiff, Norfolk, Falmouth, London.
Europe:
Normandy, Calais, Paris, le Mans, Lisbon, Madrid, Barcelona, Lake Como, Venice.
Outside of Europe:
EXTspotter
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by EXTspotter »

Furthest extent in the UK:
North - Dundee (however I am currently in Scotland and am going to Inverness in the next couple of days)
West - Land's End (however I am hoping to go to Mull this week which is further west)
South - Lizard Point
East - Dover

Countries Visited:
UK
Ireland
France
Spain
Portugal
Italy
Vatican City
The Netherlands
Czechia
Finland
Turkey
Cuba
Dominican Republic
The Maldives
Japan

I also have a flightmap - https://my.flightmemory.com/extspotter
Train<In>Vain
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Train<In>Vain »

Pilot wrote: Certainly showing your age with these two! I belive that both of these were gone before I was even born! :lol:
Oh snap! I'm busted. :lol:
Pilot wrote: I'm certainly glad I didn't have to wait until I was 19, and for my job, to travel abroad. I've enjoyed seeing the world whilst younger. Of course, you've certainly made up for your late start in travelling since then, an impressive list of countries.
I was somewhat deprived in the travel dept as a youth. Had only been to a handful of states growing up. My Dad was a believer in the "Redirect Left" school of thought, which was a shame since he had a good job at a major airline. X( The only cool place we flew to was SFO, and mainly because we had family in the area to stay with.

I would urge youngsters to travel as much as possible, as soon as possible. One can never travel back in time. I'm still bitterly disappointed that I never go to see E. Germany or the USSR.
Rookie of the Year: 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

I've went :

- Easternmost : Mataram, Lombok
- Southernmost : Kuta, Bali (I actually had to consult a map for this one ! It's about the same, the airport in Mataram/Praya appears to be a bit south of that)
- Westernmost : Singapore
- Northernmost : Singapore
Other than those, I've been to Palembang.

Areas I've been in Java :

Yellow for roads / land routes I've been on, red for areas I've visited / stayed in.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

I developed a liking for your "little" island playing some EUIV Sunda games. Gotta visit there one day :mrgreen:
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Pyoro wrote:I developed a liking for your "little" island playing some EUIV Sunda games.
Well I didn't intend to make it look like The Nations Game map ! :lol:

I mean, as usually I only go on road trips directly (even more for rails !), I can't just show areas I've passed through (as often you'd have close to no idea what's behind all those near the road !). But there are some places where it'd be soo dense blocking the whole area is appropriate, hence why I have both version. And then there's some oddities like Surabaya which I only have gone on trains and planes, or where I've only went there by road but not staying.
Pyoro wrote:Gotta visit there one day :mrgreen:
You're welcome ! If you're going around Java I could give some protips, everywhere else I don't have much ideas yet !
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Train<In>Vain
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Train<In>Vain »

JamieLei wrote:
Sounds amazing! I've never made it to Okinawa; maybe next time!
The only amazing thing about Okinawa was seeing these flying about:

Biz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Biz »

Countries went:

Philippines (My home country)
Singapore
Japan

Traveled: 3,371 Miles
siu238X
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by siu238X »

I didn't really travel anywhere south of my home city.

The Easternmost is Japan, while both northernmost and westernmost are in England, albeit in different locations.

Return to “Off-Topic”