Game Price Model Research

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Game Price Model Research

Post by Redirect Left »

Howdy.

Little bit of personal research, what do people prefer as the pricing model for games?

Full price with no microtransactions.
Free game, with microtransactions that greatly aid in the playing of the game (not pay to complete though) - sometimes referred to as the 'Freemium' model.
There are also in the middle stuff, that charge a low price, and the microtransactions aren't as vital or hepful as the free model.

Secondly, do people buy into the DLC model of some games? Would you rather they focused on a new sequel/prequel or followup game. I know some companies charge the price of basically a whole new game, but you're actually just getting a little bit of DLC.

Cheers for reading, and hopefully cheers for your replies!
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re: Game Price Model Research

Post by Gwyd »

Full price for the full game forever is what I'd prefer.
SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

I can appreciate DLC for games where the DLC is actually expanding the base game above an already enjoyable experience. City Skylines for example. However, I don't think this works well for other genres, like RTS. If you're going to make an RTS, I've always thought you really need to get unit balancing done before release and then leave it be.

With that said, I still get annoyed that demos have been killed off. Give me a demo of a game so I can see if I really want it, and if I do, my money is yours.

Burn microtransactions. With fire. Lots of fire.
Last known as: Weirdy
Train<In>Vain
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Train<In>Vain »

I don't care too much for money, money can't buy me steam achievements.
Rookie of the Year: 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Redirect Left wrote:Howdy.

Little bit of personal research, what do people prefer as the pricing model for games?

Full price with no microtransactions.
Free game, with microtransactions that greatly aid in the playing of the game (not pay to complete though) - sometimes referred to as the 'Freemium' model.
There are also in the middle stuff, that charge a low price, and the microtransactions aren't as vital or hepful as the free model.

Secondly, do people buy into the DLC model of some games? Would you rather they focused on a new sequel/prequel or followup game. I know some companies charge the price of basically a whole new game, but you're actually just getting a little bit of DLC.

Cheers for reading, and hopefully cheers for your replies!
I don't mind micro transactions when they ARE avoidable. In some cases though, $5 worth of a micro transaction could equal 4-5 hours of grinding which just isn't fair.

A pay-to-play game with minor non-intrusive micro transactions? Perfectly fine. A free-to-play game with massive and more or less required micro transactions? Nuh-uh. Nope. Nein. I ain't having it.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

Train<In>Vain wrote:I don't care too much for money, money can't buy me steam achievements.
What about the achievements unlocked only through DLC?
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Fallout Shelter. It's a very well balanced game where micro transactions are available and definitely helpful, but the game is perfectly playable without them.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Bad Hair Day
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bad Hair Day »

If I pay full price for a game I expect all features to be accessible at no further cost. If a game has secondary pay walls and micro-transactions for extra mechanics I will usually end up not buying it at all. Micro-transactions for cosmetics don't bother me. I personally am not interested in them, but if little Jimmy wants to buy CS:GO skins with his mothers credit card then whatever, it's not my money.

DLCs and expansion packs are fine as long as they are extra content being added to a game that already stands up just fine on its own. If a DLC adds features or bug fixes which should have been in the main game but were not then it should be a free patch. Charging for bug fixes and content that was deliberately removed from the main game to be packaged as DLC (especially day one DLC) is unethical. It's like buying a car only to find that the wheels aren't included and you have to pay extra for them.
My OpenTTD screenshot thread.

Formerly known as Lankku / 2-10-0
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

I don't think I can give a general answer there, except that "pay to win" is never acceptable to me. Of course, where precisely that starts depends on a great many things.

Otherwise, well. It just needs to be fair.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

I prefer the full price.

Also large Expansion packs should include all prior released "tiny" DLC for the main title.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Are your feelings the same towards mobile games? If you indeed play them at all on your mobile.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Dave

Post by Dave »

For “proper” games I prefer a one off up front payment.

Much like Chrill, for mobile games I don’t mind some micro transactions, but I’d prefer them to be done unobtrusively. I’m also more likely to buy in if there’s an innovative pricing structure rather than “pay to win”
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...

Return to “Off-Topic”