I'm frustrated with myself and with people online

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

I'm frustrated with myself and with people online

Post by SimYouLater »

Most of it isn't relevant, so I'll keep it to these forums.

The last thing I tried to do here - a guide about Tracktype graphics which at the very least would be useful to me - was mostly ignored. I received minor encouragement from one person, mild disapproval from two members, and very vocal and personal attacks from one member. I won't name names.

I am currently more upset about it that I should be. Recent personal problems have led to various sites I go to calling me out on it. I have stopped going to most sites before it got bad enough that I would be banned. One I am currently trying to rebuild my reputation on. For this forum, I'm still welcome but it doesn't feel like that is true.

I have been told so often that I'm somehow flawed by people online that I can no longer tell how much of it was me and how much of it was a toxic community. So I'll start here.

Why is it that several things I've asked about have been actively opposed, even after I managed to clean up my problems and start acting in a way that people won't feel put off by? Don't be rude about it, but please give me something to work with, a "stop doing this, please" or "this really annoys me when you do X this way". Yes, I am currently that out of touch with people in general that I need to ask this.

What do I do better so people aren't actively ridiculing my mistakes?
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
mak
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: I'm frustrated with myself and with people online

Post by mak »

Sim You Later,

this answer will not be to your liking but my opinion is mine and the I have come to after reading many of your posts

Your problems are not solvable on forums.

Visit your medical practitioner and get help in the real world.

Do not use any forums for at least six months
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

I think what went wrong in the topic you're referring to, is that you missed to explain clearly why it was needed. That is also basically what you got as first replies in that thread. Then you find out that all tracksets basically look the same, because the graphics are limited to small boxes, and you come with a convoluted response that we should all look at those boxes, maybe even make major changes to OpenTTD to change things, but don't explain why we should do that.

So, my tips would be:
Explain clearly what you want and why you want it, be concise, and balance both.

Then you'll get clear answers that you can use and get the discussion going. And no, not all answers will be positive towards your ideas, people will disagree with them or have improvements, but we all have the best intentions. Just keep in mind that with the internet, a lot of miscommunication can happen, because all the nonverbal communication is missing, and sometimes a response will be too strong-worded for your liking. If that happens, just report said post, and ignore it further (or reply only to the relevant on topic parts).
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

mak wrote:Sim You Later,

this answer will not be to your liking but my opinion is mine and the I have come to after reading many of your posts

I'm going to second this.
Last known as: Weirdy
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

As someone who was directly involved in the thread, i dont believe there was any personal attack against you.

As youve rightly admitted, the purpose of that thread was called into question because the whole exercise seemed to have little value.

If you are experiencing problems like this across multiple different forums, i would suggest that there isnt an internet wide community out to hunt you down and make you feel bad, and there the problem is inherently tou.

I would agree you probably need some time away from forums such as this, and seek some professional help as others have suggested to overcome your personal problems. I too experienced some negativity on these forums in particular and found by taking a sabbatical away i was able to come back with an open mind and not take peoples comments here so personally. You may wish to do the same.

I dont wish you any ill, and i hope you have a swift recovery from that which ails you.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

SkeedR wrote:
mak wrote:Sim You Later,

I'm going to second this.
I wish that was possible. My location has become a glorified retirement community these past few years. There's no local mental health support. My psychiatrist comes into town weekly for all local patients and I travel for 3 hours to visit a psychologist. The important part is that I have only one person I can contact offline for social contact who is in my age group. It's doing actual social and mental damage and I can't afford the solution, moving somewhere that isn't holding me back. Stopping all internet activity means cutting off 99% of my social access.

I'll see what I can do to expand IRL social contacts, I don't know anybody in order to "know someone who knows someone" except the one person, I'll be able to rely on them to help if I let them know it's that bad. Se you in a few weeks or something.
Transportman wrote:I think what went wrong in the topic you're referring to, is that you missed to explain clearly why it was needed. That is also basically what you got as first replies in that thread. Then you find out that all tracksets basically look the same, because the graphics are limited to small boxes, and you come with a convoluted response that we should all look at those boxes, maybe even make major changes to OpenTTD to change things, but don't explain why we should do that.

So, my tips would be:
Explain clearly what you want and why you want it, be concise, and balance both.

Then you'll get clear answers that you can use and get the discussion going. And no, not all answers will be positive towards your ideas, people will disagree with them or have improvements, but we all have the best intentions. Just keep in mind that with the internet, a lot of miscommunication can happen, because all the nonverbal communication is missing, and sometimes a response will be too strong-worded for your liking. If that happens, just report said post, and ignore it further (or reply only to the relevant on topic parts).
I'll do my best.
Leanden wrote:As someone who was directly involved in the thread, i dont believe there was any personal attack against you.

As youve rightly admitted, the purpose of that thread was called into question because the whole exercise seemed to have little value.

If you are experiencing problems like this across multiple different forums, i would suggest that there isnt an internet wide community out to hunt you down and make you feel bad, and there the problem is inherently tou.

I would agree you probably need some time away from forums such as this, and seek some professional help as others have suggested to overcome your personal problems. I too experienced some negativity on these forums in particular and found by taking a sabbatical away i was able to come back with an open mind and not take peoples comments here so personally. You may wish to do the same.

I dont wish you any ill, and i hope you have a swift recovery from that which ails you.
Thanks for clearing this up. I might have misread it based on Dave's response. I've unblocked you as well.

This topic can be locked, I can take it from here. Thanks for the help, everyone.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

locked on request from OP

Return to “Off-Topic”