Warhammer 40k

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Louie Armstrong
Tycoon
Tycoon

Warhammer 40k

Post by Louie Armstrong »

Ok, first off i did do a search and found a topic by Raichase, but the last post was from 2006 so i feel i am allowed to start a new one.

So who here plays 40k, I have just recently got back into it. Im slowly building up my force of Space Marines currently i can field

- A commander (have a choice of 3, 2 in Power Armour and one in Terminator Armour)
- A command Squad
- 1 Terminator Assault Squad
- 1 Terminator Squad
- 3 Tactical Squads
- 2 Scout Squads, 1 with sniper rifles and 1 with bolters
- 1 Assault Squad led by a chaplain (without jump packs, these guys charge around in their rhino, all converted from the Dark Angels Veteran Box, even the Chaplain)
- 2 Normal 5 Man assault squads
- 1 Devastator Squad
- A Bike Squadron of 3 bikes (with plans for more)
- 3 Land Speeders set up for anti infantry work, (plans for a squad of 3 for anti tank in the works)
- 2 Predators (1 all lascannon variant and 1 Autocannon and Heavy Bolter setup)
- 3 Vindicators
- 2 Dreadnoughts (2 more on order)

So what do you guys field? im planning to get more tactical squads next month, maybe another 2. I may get some pictures up soon if there is any interest

Official TT-Jewel Staite FanClub
Official TT-Ellen Page FanClub
Official TT-Hayley Williams FanClub
Official TT-generic yet cute emo woman FanClub
jonty-comp wrote:I accidentally wedged my frigate between some rocks. D:
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Warhammer 40k

Post by jonty-comp »

I've played Dawn of War! Does that count? And I went past an unbelievably huge Games Workshop warehouse on an industrial estate in Nottingham last week.

It's something I know I would have gotten in to if I ever had the opportunity in this backwater countryside town. Which I didn't. I have no idea where the nearest Games Workshop is.
rdrdrdrd
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by rdrdrdrd »

I field an Imperial guard army, about 50 grunts, 3 artillery pieces, and 1 super heavy tank (can't recall the name) and 3 walkers (cant remember either), there are also a few commanders and odds and ends. haven't played in about 6 months though.
May the force be with you.
For little boys, three things reign as supreme attention-keepers: tanks, heavy construction equipment, and trains, we all know why where here.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

Epicboy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Epicboy »

I have played Warhammer 40k with my brother.

My army is Eldar:

6x Guardians
3x Bashee + 1x Leader
2x Jetbikes
1x Viper Jetbike
1x War Walker
3x Rangers
3x swooping hawks + 1x Leader
3x scorpions + 1x Leader

My brother used to have Space Marines (wolf version) but I'm not sure what kind he had...

Last time I've played it, were about 10 years ago! I was thinking about to do it up, but I find it quite expensive at the moment. But one day I will, one day...
Louie Armstrong
Tycoon
Tycoon

jonty-comp wrote:I've played Dawn of War! Does that count? And I went past an unbelievably huge Games Workshop warehouse on an industrial estate in Nottingham last week.
DOW is a great game, havent played number 2 yet, my pc is lacking in the power department. The GW HQ is in Nottingham, so i would assume the warehouse you saw is their mail order base.

Two5Kid
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Two5Kid »

You guys are really lucky, the nearest thing to Warhammer 40K over here is the game, pirated edition of course. Haha! Game meaning computer (PC) game. As for the models, the nearest thing that I get is most probably the magazine. Forgot what it's called.
Any dream worth having,
Is a dream worth fighting for!
Archonix
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Archonix »

White Dwarf.

This has inspired me to dig out my old collection. Not much of it left after various moves and things but I still have my cadian squad, two leman russ, two sentinals and a basilisk. Oh, and Colonel Schaefer's Last Chancers, which I haven't painted...

I've noticed they redesgned the imperial guard recently. I sort of miss the older Cadian design.
Brignell’s law of consensus: At times of high scientific controversy, the consensus is always wrong.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Epicboy wrote:I have played Warhammer 40k with my brother.

My army is Eldar:

6x Guardians
3x Bashee + 1x Leader
2x Jetbikes
1x Viper Jetbike
1x War Walker
3x Rangers
3x swooping hawks + 1x Leader
3x scorpions + 1x Leader

My brother used to have Space Marines (wolf version) but I'm not sure what kind he had...

Last time I've played it, were about 10 years ago! I was thinking about to do it up, but I find it quite expensive at the moment. But one day I will, one day...
Not seen you around before. Are you new?
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Louie Armstrong
Tycoon
Tycoon

Yeah it is pretty expensive, but i find it totally worth it, im more into the modeling and painting side of things (even though im not that good at painting) than the actual battles, but ive had a few and i didnt fare too badly. My mate has started collecting Imperial Guard which should be fun, better load up on lascannons and Multi Meltas!!

lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

i was heavily into it for years, didn't do much with it as of late but i plan to pick it up again.

my Blood Angels/Imperial Guard collection (as far as i can remember):

1 space marine squad
1 terminator squad with librarian
1 rhino
1 of them cute little bike thingies
1 tech marine
1 scout squad w. sniper
1 of those golden fellas, forgot the name

1 commissar
1 mordian iron guard squad
1 catachan 26-piece squad
1 3-piece sentinel squad
1 chimera tank
1 leman russ tank
1 griffon tank

i'm quite sure i forgot half of it, ah well. i also did some Gorkamorka (of which i have some awesome Orc models) and i played Necromunda in the past. and ofcourse, i played a right load of DoW, which is still an excellent game.

also, i had a small undead/skaven army for the traditional warhammer - which i later replaced for a rather nice lizardmen army. i sold that, though.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
Louie Armstrong
Tycoon
Tycoon

I was thinking of starting a guard army as well as my marines, i might do eventually but at the moment im having too much fun with the emperors finest!

My new dread should be here this week along with the arms from forge world, got an inferno cannon arm and an assault drill arm coming to equip it with, going to be bulking him out with extra armour to make it a real siege dreadnought. Currently modeling his base whilst waiting for the parts going to have him stood on a battle damaged chaos rhino door which will be partly burid in rubble

Epicboy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Epicboy »

Dave Worley wrote:Not seen you around before. Are you new?
New to this forums, but I have played TT for around 10 years now and never got bored of it. :mrgreen:

How did I forgot the White Drawf mag! I miss it! Are they still selling it?
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

as far as i know, they do indeed.

by the way - and slightly if not heavily related - anyone played Dawn of War 2 so far? i've noticed that they've changed the style from resource-gathering traditional RTS to a more action-based gameplay, with fewer squads and more individual progress and development - more like the original game, one might say. the RTS-fanatic in me is somewhat disappointed, but i'm still eager to try it anyway.

check here for a video preview.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

Louie Armstrong
Tycoon
Tycoon

Ive played a couple of missions on DOW2, must say i did like it, certainly enjoy the upgrading of squads etc. Makes for a more personalised force.

Also they do indeed still produce white dwarf, although its not what it used to be, more a glorified catalouge at the moment, but thats all changing slowly now they have a proper team producing the mag, but still no central office so it does all seem a bit disjointed still, but they are trying to get back to the magazine of old, with plenty of modelling articles and more detailed and informative battle reports,

lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

Making this topic resurface fills me with joy. As I've recently rekindled my interest in the WH40k business, I've now ordered the new Assault on Black Reach kit, just to get back to grips with the stuff. Also I've picked up finishing my IG Catachan battle force (+/- 20 footmen, 2 sentinels and a spanking hot Leman Russ) to go along with my new Space Marine material. Leaving behind my old Blood Angels stuff (except for my scouts, which I'll repaint a bit) I've yet to decide what chapter my new Marine's army will be. Also, in time, there's probably going to be a small Tyranid collection, mainly because I still have the awesomest Tyranid model ever.

Also I've reinstalled DoW, been playing the original campaign again for a bit. Good times. Anyway, 40k general - again.

rdrdrdrd
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by rdrdrdrd »

May the force be with you.
For little boys, three things reign as supreme attention-keepers: tanks, heavy construction equipment, and trains, we all know why where here.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

JacobD88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by JacobD88 »

Louie Armstrong wrote:I was thinking of starting a guard army as well as my marines...
Go for it, I've collected guard since rogue trader (when i was 6 years old, and kids weren't kept clear of lead & small parts at every opportunity), and never got bored, the advantage of guard over all other races is that, with the broadest range of weaponry of all armies, you can always make something new to play with if you get bored of the stock models... The only other races i ever collected were Genestealer Cults and Squats, of which i sadly made the mistake of selling all but one squad of each (so i could use them in Space Hulk or Space Crusade)

Here's a rough list of my Imperial Guard collection i had wrote down on a list last year, not bothered to list command squads, or special miniatures, as each group of infantry has at least a 6 man command with it including a Lieutenant, Captain, Commissar, Bugler/Vox Caster, Standard and another few miniatures (varies according to regiment). Nearly all are pre-2004 when i stopped collecting

8 Platoons of Praetorian XXIV Guard inc. platoon command squads (From 8x Ltd. Edition GamesDay 1997 Boxes, that's a total of 8x32 men = 256 miniatures, plus their weapon platforms [16x Lascannon, 8x Mortar, 8x AutoCannon, 8x Heavy Bolter])
20x Praetorian Wounded Miniatures
3x Additional Praetorian Guard Missile Teams (6 men)
3x Additional Praetorian Lascannon Teams (6 men)
8x Cadian Shock Troop Squads (10 men p/s with either 1x Heavy Flamer or a Flamer & Grenade Launcher)
1x Squad of Classic Cadian Shock Troops (10 men with Heavy Bolter)
4x Catachan Jungle Fighter Squads (10 men p/s with either 1x Heavy Flamer or a Flamer & Grenade Launcher)
1x Squad of Classic Catachan Jungle Fighters (10 men with Missile Launcher)
3x Squads of Classic "beret'd" StormTroopers (10 men p/s with either a LasCannon, AutoCannon, or Heavy Bolter)
3x Valhallan Ice Warrior Squads (10 men p/s with Mortar)
2x Tallarn Desert Raiders Squads (10 men p/s with Missile Launcher)
1x Tallarn Desert Raiders Squad (10 men with AutoCannon)
1x Mordian Iron Guard Squad (10 men with Autocannon)
1x Mordian Lascannon Team (2 men)
1x Squat (Space Dwarfs) Squad (From 1988!!!) (10 Squats with Heavy Bolter)
4x 1st Generation Plastic Cadian Scout Sentinels (From 1998)
2x Classic Leman Russ Tanks
1x Classic Leman Russ Exterminator
1x Classic Leman Russ Demolisher
4x Classic Chimera Troop Carrier
9x (yes 9x!!!) Classic Griffon Heavy Mortars
3x Classic Basilisk SPG
1x Plasticard BaneBlade (From White Dwarf Templates)
1x ARV (Based on a 1/35th M113 APC)
1x Desert Battle Tank (Based on 1/35th Crusader)
3x Self-Propelled Heavy Mortars (Based on 1/35th SturmTiger)

As you can see, i never really had many tanks (except for the griffon company, which is insane to play with in apocalypse city fights) compared to the number of troops, but that's because I've always preferred to play massed infantry games for a challenge (E.G. try making a 3,000 point guard army based solely on infantry and see how you play againts a 3,000 point marine army with tanks et al)

I do have loads more miniatures not listed above, but i can't be bothered to dig them out to count atm

Although i stopped collecting years ago, i still have enough bits to be currently working on these atm... But as mentioned elsewhere on the forums, my focus atm is a OO9 gauge model railway :wink:
MLRS, based on a new Chimera Chassis (The only thing i've bought since 2004)
MLRS, based on a new Chimera Chassis (The only thing i've bought since 2004)
37678_450655850189_509355189_6514451_8179327_n.jpg (90.54 KiB) Viewed 5898 times
Another ARV based on the M113 &quot;Fitter&quot;
Another ARV based on the M113 "Fitter"
13748_226599420189_509355189_4615859_3748965_n.jpg (41.85 KiB) Viewed 5898 times
From Top, Going Right: Desert Tank (Based on Crusader), Command Basilisk SPG, Heavy Mortar (Based on SturmTiger), Classic Hellhound, The MLRS Chimera, Classic Leman Russ Exterminator.<br /><br />The Green Tank Chassis at the rear on the right is a base for a new Super Heavy Tank I'm working on, based on an M60 1/35th kit
From Top, Going Right: Desert Tank (Based on Crusader), Command Basilisk SPG, Heavy Mortar (Based on SturmTiger), Classic Hellhound, The MLRS Chimera, Classic Leman Russ Exterminator.

The Green Tank Chassis at the rear on the right is a base for a new Super Heavy Tank I'm working on, based on an M60 1/35th kit
37678_450655855189_509355189_6514452_1807970_n.jpg (111.54 KiB) Viewed 5898 times
Bad Hair Day
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bad Hair Day »

I've somehow managed to get myself roped into a Dark Heresy RP. I find this surprising considering my knowledge of Warhammer of any sort can be written on a beer mat.
My OpenTTD screenshot thread.

Formerly known as Lankku / 2-10-0
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

rdrdrdrd wrote:check out
http://fok.dow-mods.com/index.php
Goddamnit that looks brilliant. I need some new boxers pronto.
JacobD88 wrote:Nearly all are pre-2004 when i stopped collecting
There, I have the same issue, quit collecting around 2001-ish... but my new Marines, Catachan guard and Orks make me realize the gap's so big that the old model's quite something to be treasured in their own right. Awesome stuff.

JacobD88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by JacobD88 »

lobster wrote:...but my new Marines, Catachan guard and Orks make me realize the gap's so big that the old model's quite something to be treasured in their own right...
He He, know exactly what you are saying, i can't believe my "new" 1998-2003 plastics are now classed as "classic" kits and therefore highly prized, i nearly had a Cardiac when i saw how much even plastics go for on eBay now...

As to metals, it's plain ridiculous, look at the link below for a squat "army", i'm kicking myself for selling all but one squad at a car boot for £40 now, as my army was much larger than this one... :roll: Same goes for my Genestealer Cultists... Just happy i kept all my Praetorian forces :D

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WH40K-ROGUE-TRADE ... 3c98ad448f

Return to “Off-Topic”