Unpopular Opinions

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Dave

Re: Unpopular Opinions

Post by Dave »

So many people dressing opinion up as fact in this thread. So much tripe! I implore you all to do some reading rather than ask whataboutery questions. Have a look and see how badly the government is running the Brexit farce, and how the entire set of EU nations are crying with laughter at us. So much for regaining sovereignty and Britain’s proud place on the world stage :roll:

I serve the democratic will of the people and will endeavour to implement whatever HMG tells me to do in the best manner possible.

... I’m still waiting for that though. It’s been 18 months since the vote.

Unpopular opinion: Britain as a power is finished, and no amount of spewing forth bile about the EU and then leaving it will change that. Nothing will change that. The world has moved on, and a cabal of Little Englanders don’t like it.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

Train<In>Vain wrote:You tell me. Do you think it's OK for people to become drug addicts or not?
Seeing as how nowadays prescription drug addictions are enforced by government laws that's not really a question to ask the individual anymore.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
Train<In>Vain
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Train<In>Vain »

lobster wrote:
Train<In>Vain wrote:You tell me. Do you think it's OK for people to become drug addicts or not?
Seeing as how nowadays prescription drug addictions are enforced by government laws that's not really a question to ask the individual anymore.
I'll take that as "not OK". I stand corrected on my suggestion that drug use is being promoted.
Rookie of the Year: 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Is this topic the perfect place for Confession Bear? Let's say I have an opinion that isn't just unpopular, it's also something I haven't admitted before!!

To be fair, I can't think of anything to post at the moment, and making something up just to get my point across is.. well, it's clever.
Attachments
confession-bear.jpg
confession-bear.jpg (23.27 KiB) Viewed 6248 times
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Doorslammer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Doorslammer »

Scotland should have independence. There... go at it.
skippern
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by skippern »

Doorslammer wrote:Scotland should have independence. There... go at it.
Correct, first split the world in micro-states, than join them all in a world federation of equal semi-autonomous states, scheduled for 2150 (according to Star Trek). So get on with it, get done with all those pesky "United" countries...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Skippern
OpenTTD Mac user
Benny
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Benny »

Fur farming is a nice legitimate business with good animal welfare.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Dave wrote:So many people dressing opinion up as fact in this thread.

I think you forgot to Google, because that fur farming statement is 100% untrue, an instant search for 'fur farming' will give you everything you need to know.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

It's actually fine. The problem is, your people is having waay too much talk.

http://indonesiaetc.com/indonesia-etc-l ... -scotland/

Same thing with Brexit too I think.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

That article is very weird.

"Scotland talks too much, see Indonesia" -> "shows 60 years of why Indonesia didn't talk enough" -> "clearly, Scotland is doing too much talking"

Not very convincing, to be honest. There's no time limit on Scottish independence. They can figure things out now instead of suffering through generations of oppression if they do it wrong ^^
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

I personally would disagree. I don't really think Scotland has the industry to support itself, especially if (more when) the Oil and Gas in the North Sea dries up. Of course, if the people of Scotland want it, I would not be opposed to it, and would hope that our Government would make it a simple process, and hopefully make trade and travel between both as easy as it is today.
To directly compare Scotland and Indonesia is silly. Scotland get's it's choice as the nation is so divided on the situation, Indonesia as a whole wanted to get away from, what you could argue was, an oppressive overlord. The question of Scottish Culture isn't an issue, it already has it's own distinct culture, and even regulates it's own form of the Pound Sterling (Scottish Notes vs English notes), which, whilst not technically legal tender, is certainly accepted in Scotland as a whole (English businesses can be funny about accepting them however). In the case of a Scotexit, I would imagine that the current Scottish notes would continue to be accepted North of the border, until a proper currency is put into place.
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

I actually enjoy watching the Star Wars Prequels and always have...
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Pyoro wrote:"Scotland talks too much, see Indonesia" -> "shows 60 years of why Indonesia didn't talk enough" -> "clearly, Scotland is doing too much talking"

... There's no time limit on Scottish independence. They can figure things out now instead of suffering through generations of oppression if they do it wrong ^^
Well, it shows that even without much talking, taking your own seat is possible. If the saltires really hate whatever London is, they can take their seat too. Another example is Catalonia, which is one currently struggling and straggling. Ireland used to be such too.
Pilot wrote:
To directly compare Scotland and Indonesia is silly. Scotland get's it's choice as the nation is so divided on the situation, Indonesia as a whole wanted to get away from, what you could argue was, an oppressive overlord.
It wasn't that easy. Why do you think, even after 70 years, we haven't got it right ? Talking Indonesia as one country is like talking the whole Chinas (so PRC and ROC), Japan and Koreans as one country. We are soo diverse sparking a fire in the society is as easy as a miss of words.
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Doorslammer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Doorslammer »

Pilot wrote:
I personally would disagree. I don't really think Scotland has the industry to support itself, especially if (more when) the Oil and Gas in the North Sea dries up. Of course, if the people of Scotland want it, I would not be opposed to it, and would hope that our Government would make it a simple process, and hopefully make trade and travel between both as easy as it is today.
Which is a fair point. However, in the 70s and 80s (before devolution and therefore Westminster called the shots on everything) we had quite a number of industries other than oil and gas. We had shipbuilding (the Clyde predominant), coal mining, steel (Ravenscraig), cars (Hillman in Linwood) plus all sorts. One by one they have closed because of policies that made such industries vulnerable to bigger competition elsewhere. I still think they have a great chance in the technology sector, as tidal power reaches closer to mainstream acceptance, computer software can and has played a good part in financial terms. Because they lost their industries first, the change towards other income streams has begun already.

Plus, to prop up such a nasty and broken place such as Westminster is just ridiculous. I dare not look in a year's time what headlines will pop up next year regarding the state of the place.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

This video fits the thread I think !
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Well, to get away from the politics ...

I'm quite convinced that there's a secret organization somewhere (I don't know where because it's secret, but probably Bielefeld) that forces all authors of pop-culture novels to write atrocious romances into their stories. And they murder anyone who dares write anything that's even a touch unique or interesting.

But people like it. Which means they all have a really rubbish taste in books.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Pyoro wrote:Well, to get away from the politics ...

I'm quite convinced that there's a secret organization somewhere (I don't know where because it's secret, but probably Bielefeld) that forces all authors of pop-culture novels to write atrocious romances into their stories. And they murder anyone who dares write anything that's even a touch unique or interesting.

But people like it. Which means they all have a really rubbish taste in books.
Could that organization be Economy Inc., which has global coverage?
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Firefox Quantum is super ugly and I want old Firefox back. Is it faster? I suppose it is. I care not.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Chrill wrote:Firefox Quantum is super ugly and I want old Firefox back. Is it faster? I suppose it is. I care not.
I'm seriously considering switching back to Firefox now they've put the refresh button back where it belongs. That and Chrome can't display colours correctly, it makes blue look purplish. I've been using Chrome since 2011 when Firefox came out with version 4.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

I use Firefox when possible. Chrome is quick but in my (past) experience everything else becomes laggy for it.

The only place I use Chrome is on the phone (because android). It's not much different, performance and look wise, and installing another browser is a weird waste of space.

EDIT : Just upgraded on my laptop, at least they fixed the barely visible option menus. New tab is always expected to be weird, so yeah, not much difference. The reloading icon is horrible though - who'd notice a wing-wong of only a few pixel difference ? Someone on an old CRT ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。

Return to “Off-Topic”