Windows

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

penguin2233
Engineer
Engineer

Windows

Post by penguin2233 »

What do you reckon is the best version of Windows? My personal favorite is either Windows 98, XP or 7. Or do you use another OS?
4 Tracks :P .2 tracks :) . 1 track ;( .
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Re: Windows

Post by Pilot »

I quite like Win 10, and I don't mind 8 either, though that's probably because I'm rather used to it (8 is what I use for work).
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

Windows 3.11 for Workgroups :bow:
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

I'm content with most of the ones I used. Don't like 8 and XP. ME was also rather questionable. Vista in the beginning but it got better ^^

Currently I'm on 7 mostly because I see no reason to upgrade.
Captain Rand
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Captain Rand »

I vehemently hate Windows post XP. Unfortunately I'm forced to use it to run some programs, including OTTD - I use the Spring Patch Pack, for which there is no Linux executable.

XP is OK. I liked 98SE and 2000.
Linux is awesome!

Pete.
There's nothing like a deadline to hone the concentration.

Good manners cost nothing, but earn respect.

" 'Impossible' is not in our vocabulary." Jack Chrichton, Farscape
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Old school, would be 98SE for the better.

But using modern ones, Windows 10 works amazingly well.

I've used 95, CE, 98(SE), XP, Vista, 7 & 10 full time. So experienced a few of them. For servers, I use Linux (Debian specifically) but I find it very impracticle for day to day use on a full time home desktop, too fiddly.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Win 10 as that's the way forward. Loved XP as that's the first ever I used ! It's also much less restrictive...
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
penguin2233
Engineer
Engineer

Post by penguin2233 »

Pyoro wrote:I'm content with most of the ones I used. Don't like 8 and XP. ME was also rather questionable. Vista in the beginning but it got better ^^

Currently I'm on 7 mostly because I see no reason to upgrade.
I also see no reason to upgrade. Unfortunately, Microsoft will end support for Windows 7 in 2020. I'm too broke for Windows 10 and I also missed out on the free upgrade, back then I was still using XP in till 2016
4 Tracks :P .2 tracks :) . 1 track ;( .
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

I have lots of fond memories of using Windows 3.1. In many ways though, it was very unstable and limited.

Same with Windows 98. Ability to do stuff with DOS apps as well as Windows, great. But, oh my, the BSODs - I think now we forget quite how many of them there were.

XP, after initially seeming bloated and slow, turned into a very nice OS. But I wouldn't use it now.

Windows 7 is still fine. Probably the "best" version of Windows I'd say, in terms of stability and functionality.

I'm on Windows 10 now, and again, it's fine, has some nice new features, and some features that I'm not quite so sure about.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Windows 7 for me. I still use it at home. At work I'm forced to use a Mac and despite having had it now for half a year I just can't get used to it. I do not like it.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

Chrill wrote:Windows 7 for me. I still use it at home. At work I'm forced to use a Mac and despite having had it now for half a year I just can't get used to it. I do not like it.

For me as well, although I had to use Win10 at work since I got a new laptop and they don't outfit it with 7 anymore. ;(
Windows 10 is workable but where you had to wait 30 minutes for Windows to install, it's now a 5 minute install and 25 minute changing settings comprising of turning a lot of stuff off.

No, I don't want to upload every document I save to OneDrive. No, especially the ones with the trade secrets in it. GRRR!!!

Return to “Off-Topic”