London's Grenfell Tower on fire

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

kamnet

London's Grenfell Tower on fire

Post by kamnet »

As many are now waking up and seeing, a fire has broken out in Grenfell Tower in London at around 12:30 AM BST (7:30 PM ET). The entire building is in flames and fire crews fear that the entire building has been burned "to the core" and is at risk of collapse, as debris can be seen crumbling from the building exterior.

Rescuers are still trying to remove people from the building, no deaths are yet reported. Early on several residents made panicked posts on social media sites that they were trapped in their units, unable to leave due to smoke. London Fire Brigade made several posts on social media updating residents and the public as to what was happening. Crews at the scene were treating residents for various injuries.

40 engines and over 200 fire fighters are at the scene of the 27-story, 120 unit building. There is not any discussion that this was an act of terrorism. It is believed that the fire started on the 4th floor of the building. As I'm watching live video now, much of the building is charred, and you can still see flames in the upper levels of the building.

More info: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-40269625
Photos from DailyMail.co.uk: https://goo.gl/l8KXNb
Live video via NBC4 (Columbus, OH) Facebook: https://goo.gl/6nFYD5
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: London's Grenfell Tower on fire

Post by GarryG »

On TV in Australia too.

Wish and pray that all the residence in that building are safe and those that are injured not too serious.
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

It is believed to have started with a faulty Fridge-Freezer on the 4th floor.

But the failings of the management company in that building are becoming clear. No Fire/Smoke alarm system was operational and numerous warnings about the risk of fire spreading in that building have been ignored.

The cost of proft it seems is the innocent lives of those who lived there :(
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Few years ago, the building was given plastic based cladding to the exterior to shut up anoying richer neighbours complaining it was an eyesore. At this point it seems almost certain that the cladding is what allowed the fire to grow so quickly throughout the tower both internally and externally.

Lots of awkward questions for the company who did the cladding, it looks as if there weren't any breaks in cladding between floors / flats so the fire had a clear path to spread through.

edit: this image here really demonstrates the cladding (all the grey below the point of fire) - it's on pretty much every inch of the exterior building, so its easy to see how the fire all spread so easily and quickly the image.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Local (unconfirmed) reports have the death toll at 150 including 50 kids.

If that's true there will be riots.

There have been 129 deaths due to terrorism in Great British soil since Lockerbie (so not including NI or 9/11).
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Pray that those unconfirmed reports are wrong and death toll is no where near what they say.
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Wow. Those numbers are absurd. So sad to see this. It's a true disaster and even though it does the victims no justice, heads have to roll. Whoever legalised that type of construction material, whoever ordered it to be installed, and whoever failed to install proper fire alarms and the like. This is very sad.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Dave wrote: If that's true there will be riots.
The British do not have the stamina for a riot of considerable length to do anything of any real value in the faces of Parliament. It always peters out after 2-4 days maximum.

I love Theresa Mays reasoning for not seeing the victims, "security issues". Dear Queen Lizzy went and saw them though, what security issues?
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

God they're making petrol station roofs there !

Anyway, I wonder, how old has this building stood ? Surely is it not in any renewal order ? Looks like a tired old building...
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

YNM wrote: Anyway, I wonder, how old has this building stood ? Surely is it not in any renewal order ? Looks like a tired old building...
Designed in the late 60s and completed in the mid 70s. It's exterior was redone which was completed roughly a year ago, the main improvements were cladding to the side and some improvement to ventilation done in the interior.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Flammable cladding which was banned even in the safety lax, profit first USA.

Several knowledgeable sources have commented saying they've never seen a fire like it.

BBC now reporting 30 dead and 70+ missing. Local reports have upped to 200. We will see what's true.

For what it's worth, people did riot tonight, and stormed Kensington town hall.

Heads will roll, and so they should.

Flickr

kamnet

Post by kamnet »

The Guardian has taken to penning a strong editorial against the government and its continual hacking of budgets at every department, which played a part in the Grenfell Tower disaster.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... tower-fire
Train<In>Vain
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Train<In>Vain »

I wonder if a couple of fire fighting helicopters could have stopped the fire from spreading thru the cladding.

The High Rise Firefighting System, nicknamed the SkyCannon

Simplex, November 23, 2015 - Simplex Aerospace has announced the receipt of an FAA STC for its High Rise Firefighting System, Model 516, for the Airbus Helicopters H225.

The High Rise Firefighting System, nicknamed the SkyCannon, also recently received a Japanese JCAB. This Simplex SkyCannon will be the first helicopter based high-rise firefighting system to be operated in Japan.

The Simplex Model 516 SkyCannon was delivered to Japan Aerospace for delivery to Tokyo Fire Department. The flight test was performed September 2015 at Tokyo Fire Department.

“The SkyCannon is a rapid response skyscraper firefighting system with the capabilities of a ground based fire truck. The SkyCannon allows aerial firefighters to arrive at a fire quickly, free of traffic congestion, and prevent the fire from spreading as ground firefighting crews combat the fire from within the building providing occupants valuable time to evacuate. To date, Simplex has produced SkyCannon systems for the Avicopter AC313 and Airbus Helicopters H225, and the company plans to adapt the system to additional aircraft platforms in the future,” president and CEO Mark Zimmerman explained.

The Simplex Aerospace SkyCannon High Rise Firefighting System is the result of several years of research and development into determining an efficient and safe method for fighting high-rise building fires. Fires in high-rise buildings can quickly grow out of the range of conventional ground based firefighting equipment.

Rookie of the Year: 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Perhaps they could have, had they arrived within minutes. The fire spread from floor 4 to the very top so very quickly, any firefighting measure would have to have been applied very quickly for it to have any effect.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Train<In>Vain
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Train<In>Vain »

Vertically the fire spread in less than 30 minutes, on one side of the building, but for it to spread to the other sides horizontally took quite a bit longer. I wonder if preventing the fire from engulfing the entire building, as opposed to half, would it have made a difference. I'm under the impression that the fire was also spreading vertically internally, and especially smoke; that's what was preventing people from evacuating down the stairs, not the burning cladding, I reckon.
Rookie of the Year: 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016
Dave

Post by Dave »

Fancy it might have made a difference, but the consequence of all these deaths is far wider than the cladding.

London fire brigade said they couldn't fight as they normally would (from the core out) because it was too overpowering.

Flickr

YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Dave wrote:London fire brigade said they couldn't fight as they normally would (from the core out) because it was too overpowering.
Well, the "fire core" being around the building sounds like a terrifying nightmare...

Still, presumably they'd need to take longer for helicopters to be out (filling water tanks, health and safety forms filling (?), distance from nearest possible heli site, etc.) and I've never heard any emergency helicopters flying in London for anything...

Not everyday you got a lesson that bitter I presume. I just hope they can change the building codes, the "stay put" thinking seems to be very counter-intuitive when the forces are barely ready !
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Train<In>Vain wrote:I wonder if a couple of fire fighting helicopters could have stopped the fire from spreading thru the cladding.
I'm not even sure if the UK has any firefighting helicopters that can aim a water spurt, instead of just dumping it downwards directly.
Aerial firefighting is more common in places with wildfires, such as the US state of California, or Australia. Not sure if the UK has any of any type in regular usage.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I'm sure it could have helped. The fire raged for several hours. But I noticed it's not certified for UK or European agencies, only US and Japan. The company also sold a system last month to China.

What would have helped more was if the fire suppression system within the building was working, and if firefighters had access to water inside the building. Apparently neither were working. If they had, what they would have done was send a team to multiple floors at once and fight the fire from the inside outward, while crews on the outside suppressed flames and outbreaks.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

kamnet wrote:The fire raged for several hours.
More like a day or two. It took a while for the fire fighters to put out the fire entirely, small pockets of fires remained within individual flats for over 24 hours after the fire started.

The cladding was apparently NOT legal for use in the UK, according to the Chancellor of the Exchequer, Philip Hammond. So there might be legal proceedings taken against the council and the company who put it up there.
You're right in that the internal fire suppression systems and water hydrants were in a poor state and didn't work or barely worked. Something the tenants had noted for many many months prior to the incident, so there's another liability issue there.

Starting today (Monday), the government is making available funding of £5,500 ($7,000 US / €6,270) to each tenant who was displaced by the fire, with the suggestion that more will be made available at a later date. The government has put aside £5,000,000 (5 million) for the Grenfell incident, so I'm assuming (hoping) that eventually all of that will be spread around the tenants, and that figure does not include the cost of the public inquiry / court proceedings / investigations which is a seperate pot i'd hope.

Return to “Off-Topic”