Learning Languages

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Learning Languages

Post by Pilot »

Okay, so in the evenings at the moment, I find myself becoming rather bored of doing the same thing over and over again, so I've decided to learn a new language, starting with German (I already have a rather basic knowledge of German, so it should hopefully be easier).

Does anyone know a good, preferably free (I'm tighter than a Yorkshireman, and that's saying something!) way of learning a new language?
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Learning Languages

Post by Redirect Left »

There is http://duolingo.com - which is free. I have used it to learn lots of languagea of little use to someone who doesnt travel like me.

they also have a phone app
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Redirect Left wrote:There is http://duolingo.com - which is free. I have used it to learn lots of languagea of little use to someone who doesnt travel like me.

they also have a phone app
Just given it a go on the phone (very little to do at the moment), and it's starting off with stuff I know, but still challenging enough. Thanks!
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

It does start at child/school levels. But it does work up to something larger. Obviously it teaches you the super basics first.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Duolingo is really good when you consider the fact it's free. Apparently it can be real fun too:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/scottybryan/du ... .eepgBBqMq

EDIT: Allow me to point out that number 21, "I am death", actually is a very famous quote from a very famous Swedish movie. You know, chess and death?

My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
vear
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by vear »

Whoa, it's the first time I hear about that site, which actually seems quite cool. I've been hoping to improve my Russian as well as to learn some basic Spanish for a couple of years now. Having bookmarked duolingo, does anyone know a site that gets you some self-discipline, preferably for free as well? :mrgreen:
see my transportation photos on fotozajezdnia
GunChleoc
Engineer
Engineer

Post by GunChleoc »

For dictionaries, go here: http://multidict.net/

Lots of languages. It also has a service that makes words in websites clickable for automatic dictionary searches, e.g. this is what the OpenTTD homepage looks like.
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

If you prefer some control and are willing to put in the time, Anki is a fantastic flash card program. You can create your own decks from vocabulary lists, which is great if you're on a course or having lessons and need to learn specific sets of words rather quickly. I've been using Anki since 2010 and it's the main way I learnt my Japanese.

The real benefit comes when you get the phone app; all of a sudden, your bus commute can become a lot more productive when you can learn words.
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.

Return to “Off-Topic”