Introducing the next Star Trek captain

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Train<In>Vain
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Introducing the next Star Trek captain

Post by Train<In>Vain »

Move over, Patrick Stewart.

Jason Isaacs (The OA) has been cast in Star Trek: Discovery for CBS All Access as Captain Lorca, Captain of the Starship Discovery. It is a major role opposite lead Sonequa Martin- Green in the series, which eyes a debut in late summer or fall.

Star Trek: Discovery will feature a new ship, new characters and new missions, while embracing the same ideology and hope for the future that inspired a generation of dreamers and doers.

Isaacs joins a formidable list of actors who have played Star Trek Captains, including William Shatner, Patrick Stewart, Avery Brooks, Kate Mulgrew and Scott Bakula.

Star Trek: Discovery is produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Alex Kurtzman’s Secret Hideout, Bryan Fuller’s Living Dead Guy Productions and Roddenberry Entertainment. Alex Kurtzman, Bryan Fuller, Heather Kadin, Gretchen J. Berg & Aaron Harberts, Akiva Goldsman, Rod Roddenberry and Trevor Roth serve as executive producers.

The series will be distributed concurrently by CBS Studios International on Netflix in 188 countries and in Canada on Bell Media’s Space Channel and CraveTV.

Isaacs’ recently co-starred in the Netflix mystery drama series The OA on Netflix, Weinstein Company’s Hotel Mumbai and Armando Iannucci’s Death of Stalin.

Rookie of the Year: 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Introducing the next Star Trek captain

Post by Redirect Left »

I really want to like this, but I fear it'll be another ENT. All CGI and not much story (except perhaps the Xindi arc of series 3 for ENT).

I hope its in the old universe, rather than J.J Abramhs... whatever he wants to call it. I'm a huge star trek fan, thanks to my grandmother watching it all the time when i visited her as a child. Personally love DS9/VOY/TNG. But i fear that any modern retake will be all about pretty effects and wild arcs, when Trek has always been rather lets say, crap CGI, and humanitarian things with conflicting views with differing races, modern TV wouldn't know peace and humanitarian if it slept with its mother.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Interesting, I just started to watch The OA this past week. :)

IIRC, the new show will be set in the regular universe, some time between TOS and TNG, closer to TOS but some significant time in the future.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

kamnet wrote: IIRC, the new show will be set in the regular universe, some time between TOS and TNG, closer to TOS but some significant time in the future.
Hopefully it doesn't suffer what ENT did. Set in the past, but wildly better technology and design than that of the TOS era. There was no sense in any of the design, how they went from the NX ships to... poor Captain Kirks rubbish heap.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Captain Rand
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Captain Rand »

kamnet wrote:
IIRC, the new show will be set in the regular universe, some time between TOS and TNG, closer to TOS but some significant time in the future.
I read that it was set shortly before TOS. It's definitely in the original timeline though, not the Abramsverse.

Have any of you seen any of the Fan films? Google "Star Trek fan films" and look on Youtube as well. Some can be dire, but some are professional broadcast quality featuring professional actors including various Trek cast members.
Specifically, Look for "Star Trek Continues". You won't be disappointed.

Unfortunately, Paramount has just recently pretty much put a stop to fan films. They haven't banned them entirely, but they've placed such heavy restrictions on what can be done, effectively destroying future fan productions. One high quality group has already thrown in the towel. It's a safe bet that "Discovery" won't be anywhere near as good as some of the fan made stuff. Consequently I'm not too pleased with Paramount ATM.

We shall see. Personally I'm not holding my breath.
Redirect Left wrote:... poor Captain Kirks rubbish heap.
Don't let Scotty hear you say that!

Pete.
There's nothing like a deadline to hone the concentration.

Good manners cost nothing, but earn respect.

" 'Impossible' is not in our vocabulary." Jack Chrichton, Farscape
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Captain Rand wrote:Have any of you seen any of the Fan films?
Star Trek Continues is definitely great stuff. Completely faithful to TOS, every detail on-point, and I think the acting may be just a bit better. "Fairest of Them All" is my favorite episode. Episode 8 will debut at Fan Expo Dallas in a few weeks, then online after that. Can't wait to see it. http://www.startrekcontinues.com

"Prelude to Axanar" is the finest fan production I've ever seen, telling a completely new story. Unfortunately they're bogged down in the lawsuit with Paramount. But, the 20 minute episode they put together... just mind-blowing! http://www.axanarproductions.com/

Star Trek: New Voyages / Phase II was okay. The big upside is that it had the participation of George Takei, Walter Koenig, and Eugene Rodenbury, Jr. But I didn't think the production was all that great. But they're now shut down.
Train<In>Vain
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Train<In>Vain »

EVERYTHING WE KNOW ABOUT STAR TREK: DISCOVERY SO FAR
WHAT IS THE NEW SHOW ABOUT?

The series will be ostensibly set about the Federation starship Discovery, although, unlike previous Trek shows, the main character will be a Lieutenant Commander, and not the ship’s Captain. There will also be another Federation vessel that will be a key part of the series, the starship Shenzhou. The series will be set in the “Prime” Star Trek universe–the one from the various television series and the original 10 films, not the rebooted Abrams universe, which will remain separate and still continue on on the big screen. The series will also be set 10 years before the original Star Trek series, roughly around the time of the unaired Star Trek pilot, “The Cage.”
HOW MANY EPISODES WILL THERE BE?

The first season of Discovery is slated to have 13 episodes, which will then drop all at once, as is typical for shows on streaming services. A 13-episode order is pretty typical for a series today, although it is a far cry from when Star Trek: The Next Generation was doing a whopping 26 episodes a season. Discovery will also be the first Trek show to be fully serialized, and present one story over a full season. Deep Space Nine did a kind of serialized storytelling, but most episodes were self contained until the very last seasons.
I've only seen a few bits and snips of the Abrams Trek movies. Couldn't stomach them.
Rookie of the Year: 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Train<In>Vain wrote:EVERYTHING WE KNOW ABOUT STAR TREK: DISCOVERY SO FAR
HOW MANY EPISODES WILL THERE BE?
Discovery will also be the first Trek show to be fully serialized, and present one story over a full season. Deep Space Nine did a kind of serialized storytelling, but most episodes were self contained until the very last seasons.
Surely the third series of ENT would be the first fully serialized series with the huge Xindi arc?
Train<In>Vain
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Train<In>Vain »

kamnet wrote:
Captain Rand wrote:Have any of you seen any of the Fan films?
Star Trek Continues is definitely great stuff. Completely faithful to TOS, every detail on-point, and I think the acting may be just a bit better. "Fairest of Them All" is my favorite episode. Episode 8 will debut at Fan Expo Dallas in a few weeks, then online after that. Can't wait to see it. http://www.startrekcontinues.com

"Prelude to Axanar" is the finest fan production I've ever seen, telling a completely new story. Unfortunately they're bogged down in the lawsuit with Paramount. But, the 20 minute episode they put together... just mind-blowing! http://www.axanarproductions.com/

Star Trek: New Voyages / Phase II was okay. The big upside is that it had the participation of George Takei, Walter Koenig, and Eugene Rodenbury, Jr. But I didn't think the production was all that great. But they're now shut down.
Read 'em and weep, CBS have effectively shut down Star Trek Continues and Axanar: Rules for Fan Films

For an explanation of how onerous these rules are:

kamnet

Post by kamnet »

For the "I don't have time to listen to somebody explain it for 30 minutes" recap, here's the actual settlement.
http://www.axanarproductions.com/9707-2/

Yes, s*** the way Paramount has gone about doing this. But with the amazing work that went into the production, for an original script, I don't see why they can't go on to form a new sci-fi series. I'd chip some money into to fund that production, too.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I was following Star Trek: Renegades, another fan thing, which was looking promising, but they got hit with the new limits and crap too.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Redirect Left wrote:I was following Star Trek: Renegades, another fan thing, which was looking promising, but they got hit with the new limits and crap too.
I thought Renegades was getting remade as a non-Trek sci-fi series?
Train<In>Vain
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Train<In>Vain »

kamnet wrote:For the "I don't have time to listen to somebody explain it for 30 minutes" recap, here's the actual settlement.
http://www.axanarproductions.com/9707-2/

Yes, s*** the way Paramount has gone about doing this. But with the amazing work that went into the production, for an original script, I don't see why they can't go on to form a new sci-fi series. I'd chip some money into to fund that production, too.
I would suggest a series set in the "mirror universe", as in ENT "In a Mirror, Darkly".

Terran Empire - The Next Generation :twisted:

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

kamnet wrote:
Redirect Left wrote:I was following Star Trek: Renegades, another fan thing, which was looking promising, but they got hit with the new limits and crap too.
I thought Renegades was getting remade as a non-Trek sci-fi series?
It is, but from what i've seen, it's all a bit meh looking now.
Train<In>Vain
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Train<In>Vain »

So it is a "reboot" after all. JJ must be pleased.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Saw the new trailer, not looking forward to it.

The trailer has already breached ENTs "omg look at my CGI, no no, not the story noooo stop looking into that, focus on the CGI! levels". Even the god damn Klingons look like they're partly done with CGI. The ship looks like its clearly more technologically advanced the the Enterprise it is apparently 5 years before, the same that the Enterprise series suffered from.

I will walk coast to coast on the Trans Pennine Trail in nothing but a flourescent pink tutu if this actually focuses on proper Trek like stories and not fights and CGI.
Train<In>Vain
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Train<In>Vain »

The fact that they have some really good talent (actors) is what makes the disappointment almost unbearable.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Train<In>Vain wrote:So it is a "reboot" after all. JJ must be pleased.
It's not a reboot. It takes place in the same timeline as the original series, 10 years before TOS.

Here's the trailer CBS released earlier this week:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dxe_ugmIVM

And it doesn't appear that Jason Issacs is in the picture any longer. The focus in the trailer is on The Walking Dead actress Sonequa Martin-Green.
Train<In>Vain
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Train<In>Vain »

OK it's not a reboot. It just doesn't bear any resemblance to the original pilot or TOS. It appeals to viewers who've never seen TOS.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Train<In>Vain wrote:OK it's not a reboot. It just doesn't bear any resemblance to the original pilot or TOS. It appeals to viewers who've never seen TOS.
Which is a good thing. We don't need a rehash of TOS, we don't need a prequel to TOS. There's more to the universe than the Kirk era.

Return to “Off-Topic”