Introducing the next Star Trek captain

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Train<In>Vain
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Introducing the next Star Trek captain

Post by Train<In>Vain »

kamnet wrote:
Train<In>Vain wrote:OK it's not a reboot. It just doesn't bear any resemblance to the original pilot or TOS. It appeals to viewers who've never seen TOS.
Which is a good thing. We don't need a rehash of TOS, we don't need a prequel to TOS. There's more to the universe than the Kirk era.
I agree that there's nothing wrong with a "reffitted" Starfleet per se. The problem is that DSC is so close in time to the Kirk era that it's virtually in it. The problem could've been easily avoided by placing DSC 10 years prior to the launch of NCC 1701.
Rookie of the Year: 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

There's still plenty of space to play in. The Enterprise wasn't even much of an exploratory vessel during this time.

Depending on how they want to modify the canonical timeline, Enterprise was either commissioned in 2245 and launched in 2258, or it was commissioned prior and launched in 2245. The first captain was Robert April, who commanded for 9 years. The second captain was Christopher Pike, who commanded it for another 10 years, during which the Enterprise's epic 5 year mission was chartered. So we've got nearly 20 years of Enterprise doing other things, in other places, and it can be pretty much ignored. Kirk took command of the Enterprise 10 years after he graduated from Starfleet academy, so this show starts when Kirk was pretty much a nobody, other than being known for beating the Kobyashi Maru scenario and served most of his time on the USS Farragut.

They can pretty much avoid any discussion of Kirk or the Enterprise until season 8 or 9. If it makes it that far.
Train<In>Vain
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Train<In>Vain »

They can pretty much avoid any discussion of Kirk or the Enterprise until season 8 or 9. If it makes it that far.
Yes and I'm OK with that. However Sarek is a major figure in DSC with a "familial" relationship with a human Starfleet commander. Every time I see Sarek in DSC, I'll be reminded that at that moment, his son Spock is a Lt. Commander aboard the USS Enterprise. Is Sarek to act as if his own son doesn't exist? That's gonna be a tough sell.
Rookie of the Year: 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Train<In>Vain wrote:
Yes and I'm OK with that. However Sarek is a major figure in DSC with a "familial" relationship with a human Starfleet commander. Every time I see Sarek in DSC, I'll be reminded that at that moment, his son Spock is a Lt. Commander aboard the USS Enterprise. Is Sarek to act as if his own son doesn't exist? That's gonna be a tough sell.
Yes, Sarek did do just that. Sarek opposed Spock's entrance into Starfleet and the two were estranged for two decades. Given Sarek's nature, while he might have kept tabs on Spock due to his diplomatic ties, it wouldn't be logical for him to mention anything about Spock at all.
Train<In>Vain
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Train<In>Vain »

A Vulcan diplomat who holds a grudge. Real logical.

"How are your kids doing?"

"Spock's now an officer in Starfleet, so I disowned him because of his career choice. By the way, how's your career in Starfleet going?"
:roll:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

kamnet wrote:Who am I to question Gene Roddenberry's logic? It's TOS canon.
And TNG. TNG continues this story, and its shown that Spock & Sarek are once again estranged over the Federation-Cardassian war. Sarek also is shown to regret the past estranged relationship, presumably relating to that shown in TOS. (TNG: "Sarek", "Unification I", "Unification II")
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Train<In>Vain
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Train<In>Vain »

And what about Burnham being raised on Vulcan by Sarek, at the same period when Spock was a young child?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

We don't know what that relationship actually is. She doesn't appear to have dominant Vulcan features, so who knows? A human orphaned on Vulcan? Earth-Vulcan cultural exchange? Love child? Perhaps only Sarek himself knows and is keeping it all close to the vest?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Train<In>Vain wrote:And what about Burnham being raised on Vulcan by Sarek, at the same period when Spock was a young child?
And now we know - she's Spock's half-sister.
http://comicbook.com/startrek/2017/07/2 ... ck-sister/
Train<In>Vain
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Train<In>Vain »

Great! Now there's no way to avoid wondering about what happened between Spock and Burnham.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

CBS seem to be doing everything they can to stifle the potential success of this show. They're making people pay a subscription charge to see it (CBS All Access, with only the first episode aired on domestic TV)., and now they're stifling the reviews of it.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.

Return to “Off-Topic”