Eurovision Song Contest 2017

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

EXTspotter
Tycoon
Tycoon

Eurovision Song Contest 2017

Post by EXTspotter »

My partner and I might have just downloaded the SVT app in order to watch Melodifestivalen (the Swedish eurovision selection TV show). It might be a sign that things have gone too far for us eurovisionally, but I'm excited that it is a possibility! :D

If anyone is interested (Christopher?), the first song we've seen (Mariette - A million years) is about a million times better than all the durgey rubbish on the UK selection show.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Post by Redirect Left »

Yeah. Everything that has ever come out of Sweden during Eurovision and Melodifestivalen is way better than anything we've done over the last decade or two.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

EXTspotter wrote:My partner and I might have just downloaded the SVT app in order to watch Melodifestivalen (the Swedish eurovision selection TV show). It might be a sign that things have gone too far for us eurovisionally, but I'm excited that it is a possibility! :D

If anyone is interested (Christopher?), the first song we've seen (Mariette - A million years) is about a million times better than all the durgey rubbish on the UK selection show.
Redirect Left wrote:Yeah. Everything that has ever come out of Sweden during Eurovision and Melodifestivalen is way better than anything we've done over the last decade or two.
Yes, Mariette wasn't too bad. This year so far, the level is worse than 2016. I quite enjoyed Nano - Hold On from the first week too. Big fan of Roger Pontare too, but only because he competed for Sweden back in 2000 with the BEST song we've ever had. In truth, he wasn't too good this year.

Still, 2 out of 4 "semi finals" have been held and I really hope the winner hasn't been heard yet. I'd recommend you check out our runner-up from 2016, Oscar Zia - Human. Great song, great guy.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
EXTspotter
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by EXTspotter »

Chrill wrote:Still, 2 out of 4 "semi finals" have been held and I really hope the winner hasn't been heard yet. I'd recommend you check out our runner-up from 2016, Oscar Zia - Human. Great song, great guy.
Can't be worse than last year's entry from Sweden. He was terrible. I wouldn't have placed him in the top half of the acts in this years second melodifestivalen semi-final I saw the other day. Even the song which was entirely F-bombs (disconcerting for a british viewer as a song with those lyrics would've been very heavily censored for TV over here...) had more going for it!
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

EXTspotter wrote: Can't be worse than last year's entry from Sweden. He was terrible. I wouldn't have placed him in the top half of the acts in this years second melodifestivalen semi-final I saw the other day.
I thought Frans wasn't too bad :(
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

EXTspotter wrote:
Chrill wrote:Still, 2 out of 4 "semi finals" have been held and I really hope the winner hasn't been heard yet. I'd recommend you check out our runner-up from 2016, Oscar Zia - Human. Great song, great guy.
Can't be worse than last year's entry from Sweden. He was terrible. I wouldn't have placed him in the top half of the acts in this years second melodifestivalen semi-final I saw the other day. Even the song which was entirely F-bombs (disconcerting for a british viewer as a song with those lyrics would've been very heavily censored for TV over here...) had more going for it!
I wasn't a major fan of Frans, but it wasn't THAT bad. You're talking about Lisa Ajax, yes. She's from the same part of Stockholm that I live in. I've seen her at my local food store more than once. Her f-bomb song really isn't that troubling in Sweden since we aren't too afraid of swearing. They did say if she were to win she'd have to censor her lyrics.

Next competition this Saturday, really no artist there I look forward to. Rather unfamiliar names, many of them. The final weekend (25 February) will see one of my favorites from last year returning, Wiktoria. I'd recommend you checking out her song from last year called Save me. The stage performance wasn't too thrilling but her voice is crazy good. Former winner Loreen returns to Melodifestivalen too, but that is often a recipe for disaster.
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

For me at least, I think Sweden will be hard pressed to beat what Måns Zelmerlöw produced in 2015 with 'Heroes'. Wonderful voice and a wonderful song.

Also, the song he sung during his presenting duties at the 2016 contest "Fire in the Rain" was pretty ace, shame he didn't enter with it instead of hosting, i'd have voted for it. The whole on hoverboards whilst singing it was a similar neat visual to what he did during his set for Heroes with background animation.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Honestly, Heroes wasn't a fantastic song either. It had great visuals and he's a good looking guy. That's what won them the contest. Not much can match Loreen's Euphoria. I almost always watch all 4 semi-finals and when Loreen performed Euphoria for the first time (to qualify just for the Swedish main event), I said "This will win Eurovision" which it duly did.
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I used to love that song, but Loreen later performed it as part of a Eurovision Song Contest Greatest Hits for the BBC a few year ago, and she and the song sounded absolutely naff, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5G9MsXmaWo
EXTspotter
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by EXTspotter »

To be honest I think if politics were not a feature of the competition; I wouldn't have been surprised if Russia won 2015 and 2016. I much preferred Polina Gagarina to Mans, and felt that Heroes relied too much on gimmicky staging rather than being a credible performance. I thought the Ukrainian entry last year was beyond abysmal, but understand why it was always likely to win given the anti-Russian message meeting the current European sentiment on love love peace peace...

I'll get my coat.
EXTspotter
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by EXTspotter »

All that being said above, nothing in recent memory comes close to Euphoria. That song is a proper banger!!!
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Speaking of Eurovision earlier: The 2017 organisation team have started quitting en masse
The Eurovision Song Contest has hit a major road bump, after 21 top level staff organising the event resigned.

The Ukrainian Eurovision team say they were stripped of major responsibilities in December, when a new boss was appointed to the organising committee.

According to their resignation letter, they were "completely blocked" from making decisions about the show.
It currently isn't expected to put the show in jeapordy for its currently expected dates for the 2017 contest, but it might go down to the wire after the core team quit.

BBC News.

Jon Ola Sand hasn't quit, so i'm happy. Each year I look forward to his awkward apperance, he still hasn't got used to the cameras :D
kamnet

The Thread Of Randomness 1

Post by kamnet »

Chrill wrote:Honestly, Heroes wasn't a fantastic song either.
Sir, you have lost all of my respect *slaps you with a rubber chicken* Blasphemy!
Chrill wrote:Not much can match Loreen's Euphoria. I almost always watch all 4 semi-finals and when Loreen performed Euphoria for the first time (to qualify just for the Swedish main event), I said "This will win Eurovision" which it duly did.
I went back and watched it. It was good. I didn't think it was as good as Heroes though. I instantly identified with the song. Even more so once I learned of the story behind it. The visuals were a gimmick, but I think that's pretty much part of the contest these days. You can't just have a good song, you have to have a strong, commanding stage performance.

Which is why I think Conchita Wurst's 2014 win will never be topped.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Well, Loreen was different. Heroes is definitely a worthy winner, but it's not very unique. Loreen's Euphoria was unique and unprecedented. Loreen's competing in this weekend's semi final in Sweden too! I am not a big fan of winners returning to the competition, but then again if its good then why not? I haven't heard or seen her performance yet, but journalists are reporting it to be... a pretty odd composition. They're saying "Loreen is doing everything to lose" but implies that she may just win because of that. It's a highly political statement, apparently.
My Scenarios:
Chrill

Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2017

Post by Chrill »

I decided to split this into a separate discussion, since it had taken over the Random thread a bit.

We've now heard all 28 songs entered into the Swedish competition, and 8/10 finalists have been selected. It is therefore time for a top 3. This year has been fairly weak overall, so none of these are likely to do too well in Eurovision in my eyes. Still, I do have a few favorites

1: Nano - Hold On

2: Wiktoria - As I Lay Me Down

3: Mariette - A Million Years

And a bit of an outsider, because I sort of love this one. He's 88 years old, damn it. He had a major hit in Sweden in the 1950s and hasn't been a prominent musician since then. Look at this old man go!!
4: Owe Thörnqvist - Boogieman Blues

Any of these 3 (or 4) could well win. I haven't looked up any predictions or bets, so I don't know who else may take the crown. My personal favorite is Nano, because it's a very different song to what you normally get in Melodiestivalen. I am a big fan of Wiktoria though, her voice in particular. Great stuff.
My Scenarios:
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Chrill wrote:Owe Thörnqvist - Boogieman Blues
This man must win! He's perfect, with his little Harmonica and everything!
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Pilot wrote:
Chrill wrote:Owe Thörnqvist - Boogieman Blues
This man must win! He's perfect, with his little Harmonica and everything!
He can barely stand up on his own, he looks so fragile, but I love it.
My Scenarios:
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Wiktoria's song... wow, that speaks to me right now. It may not be the best song in the competitions, but of the choices, I think it's the best one for Sweden. We'll just have to see how it plays out.

And damn SVT for blocking all those videos! Took me 20 minutes to find a good YouTube version.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Oh those aren't available abroad? Well then linking them was stupid :P Yeah Wiktoria is great. Her voice is perfect. Look up her song "Save me" from last year. It might perhaps be even better.
My Scenarios:
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Chrill wrote:Oh those aren't available abroad? Well then linking them was stupid :P
They're available in the UK, so not entirely stupid :D

Return to “Off-Topic”