Eurovision Song Contest 2017

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Chrill

Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2017

Post by Chrill »

Right. Well it is the EUROPEAN Broadcasting Union after all :mrgreen:
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
EXTspotter
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by EXTspotter »

I caught up on Andra Chansen earlier; I'm a bit disappointed but to be honest I don't feel like there is much to choose from this year...

I think I have unpopular tastes though - of the things which I really liked there's only one song which is still in the running; Mariette - A Million Years.

There were songs which felt a little bit more "Eurovisiony" which I prefer; it's not a serious competition - you can be a little gimmicky and campy alongside being talented. Most of what's left is people taking themselves far too seriously or being identikits of other popular current musicians.

My favourites:

Loreen - Statements: Nothing says Eurovision like someone having a really weirdly staged song and if anyone knows how to put together something which is actually a weirdly choreographed performance art piece "borrowed" from Sia, it's Loreen. She was the only one in the Andra Chansen that could belt out a tune. It's a shame she didn't get through. Most of the other acts were BORING.

Dismissed - Hearts Align: I have a weakness for this style. Placebo-y mixed with draggy beetlejuice. Perfect in every way.

Dinah Nah - One More Night: Maybe needed a few more feathers. Good on the campiness front.

Overall I think I won't be rooting for Sweden this year. It's mostly rubbish. I'm team Moldova. Epic Sax Guy must win!
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Andra chansen is the episode for songs finishing 3rd and 4th in their respective semi finals. Ergo not the winners.

The Swedish main finals will be on this Saturday. I am definitely not expecting Sweden to win the Eurovision this year, but at least there are better songs this Saturday than yesterday :P
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I'm hoping one of the underdogs and small countries might be able to whip up a storm and take Eurovision to somewhere alittle out of the ordinary for next year. I'd love for San Marino, Georgia or Cyprus to win it. It'd be such an amazing treat for them to host it and it'd be so over the top. However the stats for them aren't all that good.

San Marino have only qualified for the final once (2014), and highest (only) result is 13th.
Georgia have qualified numerous times, with a highest result of 9th (2010 & 2011), they also have placed bottom (last) in one competition (2014)
Cyprus have been in 27 finals, but their best result is 5th, 3 times (1982, 1997 & 2004), they came last only once throughout the 27 finals run (1986)

But in a more realistic fashion, my money is on Russia, Sweden or Australia to win.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
EXTspotter
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by EXTspotter »

If Sweden wins; I'd be very upset because it means the calibre across all the countries will have been very low. A Russian win in Ukraine would also be very awkward indeed.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

EXTspotter wrote:A Russian win in Ukraine would also be very awkward indeed.
It will be interesting to see if Ukraine hosting it affects the votes Russia receives this year to any obvious amount.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Redirect Left wrote:But in a more realistic fashion, my money is on Russia, Sweden or Australia to win.
Why not Britain? :mrgreen:

Speaking of Britain, the last British Eurovision entry I actually remember were Scoot(?) - The one's who dressed as cabin crew, and such. Ended up seeing them live at Manchester Pride one year actually... They were on it a good few years ago, and weren't exactly very good (I seem to remember they were hyped though), so have we just been really s*** since?
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Pilot wrote: Scoot(?) - The one's who dressed as cabin crew, and such. Ended up seeing them live at Manchester Pride one year actually... They were on it a good few years ago, and weren't exactly very good (I seem to remember they were hyped though), so have we just been really s*** since?
They came 22nd in 2007 and were horrendously out of tune, but gaining 19 points total from Malta & Ireland, countries that nearly always vote for the UK anyway. We could probably dress someone up as the poo emoji and sing a song about emojis and they'd vote for us. (note to self: propose that to the BBC for 2018 - we might get higher on the scoreboard if for once put on a show rather than just have some people sing).

and why not britain? because once again our song is poo, far too seriously staged, it's like someone died and furthermore the highest we've come since 2010 is 11th by the band Blue, who had a huge following in Europe and still didn't get in the top 10.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Redirect Left wrote:We could probably dress someone up as the poo emoji and sing a song about emojis and they'd vote for us. (note to self: propose that to the BBC for 2018 - we might get higher on the scoreboard if for once put on a show rather than just have some people sing).
Generate a hype about this and you'd be winning. It's not so much about the song, it's about the reputation of the song.
My Scenarios:
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I've come around to yet another song for the Swedish Melodifestivalen. Finals are tonight, and the fact we don't have a clear winner is proof enough that this year is VERY mediocre. I've come to like the pop joik of Jon Henrik Fjällgren. The title is a mouthful:

Jon Henrik Fjällgren feat. Aninia – En värld full av strider (Eatneme gusnie jeenh dåaroeh) (translation: A world full of battles)

He speaks Sami, she sings in Swedish. It's very ethnic, which is always a Eurovision positive.
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Chrill wrote:It's very ethnic, which is always a Eurovision positive.
In what way do you mean that? It isn't very often a song not in English wins. Last 100% not English lyric win was in 2007 (Serbia), and the one before that was back in 1998 (Israel). Songs mostly in English with partial native language win also infrequently compared to 100% English, the last one was last year for Ukraine, although I do suspect Ukraines win was political due to Russias annexation of Crimea, however.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Well, the song is sung in Swedish and Sami. It would be translated to English and Sami if it would make it to Europe. Sweden has done that many times since English language entries were permitted in 1999:

1999 winner Charlotte Perelli (Take me to your heaven) was called Tusen och en natt. (honestly watch it. Brilliant 90s throwback)
2000 entry Roger Pontare (When Spirits are calling your name) was called När vindarna viskar mitt namn.
2001 entry Friends (Listen to your heartbeat) was called Lyssna till ditt hjärta.
2004 entry Lena Philipsson (It hurts) was called Det gör ont.
2006 entry Carola (Invincible) was called Evighet.

Admittedly it hasn't happened since 2006 that a song sung in Swedish won Melodifestivalen, but we also haven't entered a Swedish song to Eurovision for 20 years.

The Serbian 2007 entry Molitva is the only winner not in English since rules were changed to allow English entries.

On an unrelated note, a lovely medley of some old Melodifestivalen participants through the years.

My Scenarios:
EXTspotter
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by EXTspotter »

I'm pretty happy with the outcome of Melodifestivalen. Of the top three on the public vote; I wanted Robin Bengtsson to win. I'm also glad that Wiktoria especially didn't win. Her performance in the final was pretty poor and she didn't deserve to come second in the public vote; luckily the international juries saw through her. Nano's song was better but would have benefited from being sung by a person with a stronger vocal, but he did pretty well nonetheless.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I'm not very happy with Robin winning, because:

A) He wasn't the popular vote. It doesn't make sense putting on a big show with televoting and then going against the public
B) His song looks a lot more like a TV ad for men's clothing than a music performance
C) He feels very mediocre. In Sweden, we'd call him "reduced fat milk" which is as average and dull as it gets.

I agree, Wiktoria's performance wasn't great. Robin was the most professional singer of the lot, but I just can't help but feel he would struggle to finish in the top 5 of Melodifestivalen in any other year. I guess his win is more down to a poor year rather than his song being fantastic.

I don't see us doing too well in Eurovision, but neither would we with any of the other songs.
My Scenarios:
EXTspotter
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by EXTspotter »

It does raise the question "Does it matter what the public of the country think?" They can't vote for themselves so asking a panel of international juries is the most obvious way of choosing a winner - they are a group with a massive influence on who wins overall on Eurovision - they control half the points available and by doing what they did, its probable they chose the act with the best international jury appeal. It might not be popular, but wouldn't people be more interested in winning? [/devilsadvocate]
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Chrill wrote: C) He feels very mediocre. In Sweden, we'd call him "reduced fat milk" which is as average and dull as it gets.
Hah. I call people the same here in England :D
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

EXTspotter wrote:It does raise the question "Does it matter what the public of the country think?" They can't vote for themselves so asking a panel of international juries is the most obvious way of choosing a winner - they are a group with a massive influence on who wins overall on Eurovision - they control half the points available and by doing what they did, its probable they chose the act with the best international jury appeal. It might not be popular, but wouldn't people be more interested in winning? [/devilsadvocate]
Normally, I'd agree. This year, I don't. Melodifestivalen 2017 was the cheapest edition yet. We've hosted the ESC too many times lately, we can't afford doing it again so soon! :mrgreen: Therefore, sending someone we like makes more sense than sending a potential winner.
My Scenarios:
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Chrill wrote:I'm not very happy with Robin winning
Wait... you had the vote and Harmonica Man didn't win? Dammit Sweden, you had 1 job! Actually, can we steal Harmonica man as the British entry? We'd at least have a chance :mrgreen:
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Pilot wrote:
Chrill wrote:I'm not very happy with Robin winning
Wait... you had the vote and Harmonica Man didn't win? Dammit Sweden, you had 1 job! Actually, can we steal Harmonica man as the British entry? We'd at least have a chance :mrgreen:
He finished dead last, but man did he get my sympathy vote :mrgreen:

We have an app where we can vote 5 times per song for free, and these votes count toward the televoting total. I gave 5 to the "harmonica man", Nano, and Wiktoria. I gave some others 3-4 votes as well. Robin? A solid 0.
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Russia has ended speculation of a boycott for the Ukrainian edition this year. However its artist may yet be blacklisted for political reasons, some 140 artists have been blacklisted as not allowed to perform due to previous things relating to the Crimean annexation by Russia.

Natually most people don't care, but a small few are up in arms about the whole "omg Russia performing in Ukraine? how scandalous!"

BBC News

Return to “Off-Topic”