Eurovision Song Contest 2017

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

kamnet

Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2017

Post by kamnet »

My rankings
1. Sweden
2. Moldova
3. Denmark
4. Portugal
5. Ukraine
6. Spain
7. Greece
8. United Kingdom
9. Germany
10. Belgium
SilverSurferZzZ
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by SilverSurferZzZ »

SPAIN WIN EUROVISION!!!

Well... mmmm, if you change the list from top to bottom :) :D :lol:
NewGRFs__
City names/Landscape: Naruto | Planets | Lovers | Halloween | Kaijus
Vehicles: Famous Cars | Super Cars | Racing Cars | Cars Cars | Improved M Cars

SilverSurferZzZ has left the building!
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Results from jury voting:
eurovision2.png
eurovision2.png (316.79 KiB) Viewed 3061 times
And the final scores after public voting:
eurovision2017.png
eurovision2017.png (318.86 KiB) Viewed 3062 times
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Well, the UK managed to stay on the left side of the board until the end, so that's too bad for us.

Personally I was hoping for Belgium or Croatia to get it, but sadly not. Sweden came highest than I expected, the winning Portugal entry seemed to be slightly lost on the entire thing and what was happening. Spain looked like they were going to finish with the dreaded nul point for a while too!
First time Portugal have won after being in it since 1964, congratulations!

Israel are withdrawing, after being in since 1973. This is because their current public channel is closing, and will be replaced by another one, which doesn't meet EBU requirements (no news programmes, i think)
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Kalen
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Kalen »

Must be the miracle of Our Lady of Fátima... :D Either way, I am pleased with this turn of events. 8)
EXTspotter
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by EXTspotter »

I didn't get the Portuguese entry at all.. obviously I was in the minority though.

I think it had a better chance of winning because there weren't anywhere near as many ballads as last year; hence the ballad vote was more focussed on the few there were.

The UK entry was so much better than expected. The original version of the song didn't build up or do anything. I wonder if it would've got more points on public vote if it wasn't for it being the UK entry!

The people at our party who voted did for Romania, Moldova and Sweden; with these countries receiving 7, 6 and 4 points from the UK public vote respectively. 12 went to Bulgaria, 10 to Poland and 8 to Portugal.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Bulgaria was my favourite, followed by us (hers was easily the most accomplished vocal all night) and Portugal.

Pleased with a Western Europe win... they're rare enough these days as we seem to oscillate between Scandinavia and the east...
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Kalen
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Kalen »

Ballads and slow songs in general aren't usually very favoured in this contest; people seem to prefer the more energetic and visual pop ensembles. So our win was really unexpected. Maybe people wanted to vote on something different for a change? Who knows. Hey, I'm not complaining... :lol:
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I just wish I knew what the lyrics were! :)

Although I mostly liked Sweden for the simplicity of the song and the great stage visuals, I do have to remember that this is a songwriting contest more than anything, and to that end (from what I heard from others) Portugal's entry was hands down the best. People definitely appeared to be moved by it.

Sad to hear that Israel will no longer be part of the competition. I liked their entry this year. Perhaps Israeli viewers and fans will convince their new network to make the changes to join EBU.
Kalen
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Kalen »

There's English lyrics available online if you needed them (i.e.: here), but naturally the translated lyrics aren't going to match the melody so they might sound rather unimpressive. :P

On that one, I'm one of those viewers who wishes each country would sing in their official language instead of in English. I find that much of the diversity is lost when all these unique languages are chucked out entirely. English is great and I get the appeal of the ease of communication (and commercialization) that it provides, but I think an exception could be opened for Eurovision for the sake of language diversity. I also think people underestimate just how much listeners can enjoy a song even if they don't immediately understand the lyrics without a translation (see: the popularity of J/K-pop in the West).
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I really enjoyed Portugal, if only because it felt genuine. All these great big performances, and he just walks up and basically speaks his mind for 3 minutes. Intimate, naked, beautiful.

I do worry for the 2018 contest, because half the countries will send their equivalent of Sobral. Which mean 2018 will be a massive snorefest when countries try PRODUCING an intimate performance instead of letting it happen organically.

Also, Sweden in P5? I was hoping for a top ten finish, would have been happy with finishing on the left side of the board, and wasn't even convinced we'd survive the semi finals. The Swedish act was cringeworthy. That "OK" sign. His dance moves. His winking at the camera. Nah. Not for me. P5 is good.

I did enjoy the UK, but my favorite of the night was Italy. If only because I liked the singer. He just looked like he enjoyed singing so much.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

EXTspotter wrote:I didn't get the Portuguese entry at all.. obviously I was in the minority though.
Nor did I, or my wife. And indeed most of my Facebook friends were like "Eh, Portugal?". Their song didn't seem especially memorable or exciting to me. But it's perhaps not my kind of song. Well done to them, anyway!
Kalen
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Kalen »

Chrill wrote:I do worry for the 2018 contest, because half the countries will send their equivalent of Sobral. Which mean 2018 will be a massive snorefest when countries try PRODUCING an intimate performance instead of letting it happen organically.
That was exactly what I said afterwards lmao. I'm already predicting the winner of 2018 will be the country who doesn't send a ballad singer... :lol:
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Yup, the 2018 winner is likely to be a proper summer hit. A floor filler.
My Scenarios:
EXTspotter
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by EXTspotter »

Chrill wrote:Also, Sweden in P5? I was hoping for a top ten finish, would have been happy with finishing on the left side of the board, and wasn't even convinced we'd survive the semi finals. The Swedish act was cringeworthy. That "OK" sign. His dance moves. His winking at the camera. Nah. Not for me. P5 is good.
The reason it did so well is because Melodifestivalen is half decided by the "foreign juries". If you want to win, use a focus group who will be picking the winner in the actual competition. Nano might've been the favourite in Sweden but it wasn't very good and would have likely faired poorly internationally. The less said about Wiktoria (2nd Swedish televote, 7th international jury) the better!

I do agree; next year the winner will likely be uptempo. Hopefully Sweden. If Sweden could host every year it would be perfect.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Chrill wrote:Yup, the 2018 winner is likely to be a proper summer hit. A floor filler.
If that happens, it will be Australia.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

kamnet wrote:
Chrill wrote:Yup, the 2018 winner is likely to be a proper summer hit. A floor filler.
If that happens, it will be Australia.
Which might be the only way for the UK to host the Eurovision again! I don't know which nation Australian TV has strong ties to.
EXTspotter wrote:
Chrill wrote:Also, Sweden in P5? I was hoping for a top ten finish, would have been happy with finishing on the left side of the board, and wasn't even convinced we'd survive the semi finals. The Swedish act was cringeworthy. That "OK" sign. His dance moves. His winking at the camera. Nah. Not for me. P5 is good.
The reason it did so well is because Melodifestivalen is half decided by the "foreign juries". If you want to win, use a focus group who will be picking the winner in the actual competition.
Sure, but Robin was 8th for popular vote too. Actual human beings voted for him!

Australia was 4th for juries, 25th for audiences. Finished 9th overall. Austria was 11th with the jury, dead last at 0 with audiences. Finished 16th overall. Romania was 15th for juries, 5th for audiences. Finished 7th overall. I'm not sure I like how different it is. Why keep the jury? Had we not had them, the top 4 would have been identical so it wouldn't have caused a different outcome. However Sweden in 8th would somehow feel more fair to me. :mrgreen:
My Scenarios:
EXTspotter
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by EXTspotter »

I think it "softens the blow" of neighbour bias to some extent whilst not actually affecting who wins too badly; that being said if it wasn't my for the popular vote/jury split, Ukraine wouldn't have won last year. Russia had the greatest public vote and Australia the highest jury vote... also the sprint finish that the double voting offers makes watching the results much more exciting!!

Return to “Off-Topic”