Height map 'glitch'

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Height map 'glitch'

Post by Wahazar »

When I was preparing height map form my Poland openttd scenario, I spotted two strange black and white dots in a centre of this map:
http://149.156.194.203/~mczapkie/Train/ ... 096_nj.png

I was pretty sure that it is kind of graphical glitch, because it looks completely artificial.
Indeed, it is the artificial structure, one hole, and one pile:
http://g.forsal.pl/p/_wspolne/pliki/136000/136695.jpg
http://ocdn.eu/images/pulscms/ZTI7MDMsM ... 235aaf.jpg

It is incredible, that humans species are so much altering environment, that it is clearly visible from space
(BTW, there is a false myth, that Great Wall is visible from space by naked eye).
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
Chrill

Re: Height map 'glitch'

Post by Chrill »

I was just about to move this to OpenTTD but maybe this actually belongs in Off-Topic :P
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Chrill wrote:I was just about to move this to OpenTTD but maybe this actually belongs in Off-Topic :P
Haha, sorry for unattended thread name trolling :)
BTW, this black and white dot looks exactly like a scratch on photo-sensitive colloid, but I realised, that satellite photographs are rather digital ones,
so I start to lurking at google maps to check this location. Currently they start to dig another hole, old one will be lake, and spoil tip (white dot) have ski lifts: http://www.narty.pl/typo3temp/_processe ... 575f8d.jpg
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

If you know where it is the Great Wall is kinda visible from low orbit:
But you really need to look for it. And there's loads of stuff that's easier to see from that distance.

Generally structures that go against the "natural flow" are visible. Straight roads on a hilly landscape? Relatively easy. But the Great Wall pretty much follows the landscape. Makes it much more difficult to spot.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

I suppose it becomes very prominent thanks to the flat landscape around it.

But still, even in Google Maps satellite 3D views you can clearly see the hump and the hole. It's this mine.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Pyoro wrote:If you know where it is the Great Wall is kinda visible from low orbit:
But you really need to look for it. And there's loads of stuff that's easier to see from that distance.

Generally structures that go against the "natural flow" are visible. Straight roads on a hilly landscape? Relatively easy. But the Great Wall pretty much follows the landscape. Makes it much more difficult to spot.
I'm actually not sure if I have spotted it yet. Where is it?
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Chrill wrote:
Pyoro wrote:If you know where it is the Great Wall is kinda visible from low orbit:

I'm actually not sure if I have spotted it yet. Where is it?
I thought I was going blind, as I couldn't see it either! Glad I'm not the only one :lol:
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Where is Great Wally?
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

It curves around those central mountains right at the snow transition ;)

Return to “Off-Topic”