'Transports' - another TT clone game.

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator
Transport Empire Moderator

'Transports' - another TT clone game.

Post by uzurpator »

http://store.steampowered.com/app/659920/Transports/

Looks good, altho aesthetics is questionable :)
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
sevenfm
Engineer
Engineer

Re: 'Transports' - another TT clone game.

Post by sevenfm »

uzurpator wrote:Looks good
It looks ugly. Even zbase looks better.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

My god.
Good luck to anyone trying to drive over this!.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Yeah, that screenshot made me smile, too :lol:

I don't want to be discouraging in any way to anyone, and this is obviously better than I could have done, but even going through the feature list and such I just don't see why I would play that instead of OpenTTD.

Other games like Machinsky or Transport Fever might also not "beat" OTTD for me, but at least they are different enough to be fun on their own. This seems like a clone that's not managed to distinguish itself enough (yet?).
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Blargh. Surely 3D only or 2D-isometric only would be much, much better ?
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

It really shows to me why OpenTTD disallows ceratain road/rail placements on certain slopes
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Gwyd wrote:It really shows to me why OpenTTD disallows ceratain road/rail placements on certain slopes
Yup. It's doing it so it doesn't look ridiculous :p
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
pubby
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pubby »

I haven't played it, but this REALLY looks like it's using OpenTTD code. That would be a GPL violation, assuming it's closed source.
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

If you ignore the graphics, Transports looks like TTD anyway, same concepts, same executions, graphic redrawn.
Same set of vehicles (planes, ships, trains, trucks, busses) ... and the fact the developer didn't come here before (as it's for probably largest TT-related forum) to showcase the game ... is worrying

Even large airport is 5x5 ... really?

The game is out so if someone's got spare £14 - can check for any code resemblance to OTTD
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

I seriously doubt that. For one thing, tracklaying and signals is completely different. Roads work differently. Research etc aren't in OpenTTD.

Naw, I'd be very surprised if there was some code stolen, just because it superficially looks vaguely similar.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Their rails don't have any diagonal pieces I think ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Exactly. Only 90° corners.
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

Pyoro wrote:Exactly. Only 90° corners.
That Steam "I'm not interested" button really came in handy after reading this, hadn't checked the screenshots as extensively as I should've. Despite the artstyle not actually being that bad - just a bit too "gamey" for me I guess but that can really work actually - that is one gripe I can't get over.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Considering the OpenTTD code is opensource, even if they did clone the code directly this wouldnt be illegal or a violation of the licence, as long as they publish code.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Leanden wrote:Considering the OpenTTD code is opensource, even if they did clone the code directly this wouldnt be illegal or a violation of the licence, as long as they publish code.
Open-source, steam, and paid purchase don't go together AFAIK.

But I can (somewhat) assure this is an entirely different game engine/base. This is made by one person (his site, site for Transports, youtube showing development back to 2016). He's expanding it to this one (preview), which doesn't make sense if it was borrowed from OpenTTD's code (as that would be a fall back).

Alas, seems an interesting stuff. I know well that OpenTTD's absence from Steam is due to it's free and open-sourced nature, yet I've seen some of the comments goes to TTD for comparisons. If it's his cashflow then I guess no one can complaint... Though given Simutrans is also available on Steam, is also free and is now open-source, maybe... OpenTTD could follow ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

YNM wrote:
Leanden wrote:Considering the OpenTTD code is opensource, even if they did clone the code directly this wouldnt be illegal or a violation of the licence, as long as they publish code.
I believe the specific licence openTTD uses doesn't allow for selling of code. Although you can freely edit and distribute those. I'm fairly sure you cannot receive money for it though.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Redirect Left wrote:
YNM wrote:
I believe the specific licence openTTD uses doesn't allow for selling of code. Although you can freely edit and distribute those. I'm fairly sure you cannot receive money for it though.
GPL doesn't prevent selling it for money. It only requires that the source code be made available to anybody who asks for it.

Return to “Off-Topic”