RollerCoaster Tycoon Classic released for iOS and Android

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

orudge
Administrator
Administrator

RollerCoaster Tycoon Classic released for iOS and Android

Post by orudge »

Did anyone else notice that RollerCoaster Tycoon Classic was quietly released before Christmas, apparently combining the best of RCT and RCT2 in an iOS and Android app? It sounds like it's pretty authentic to the original Windows version (in the same way that TT 2013 is pretty much Locomotion for mobile devices).
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: RollerCoaster Tycoon Classic released for iOS and Android

Post by Redirect Left »

I have played it, only briefly. I found it rather tedious to control and play on a mobile device. The requirements of the game (on all officiall channels) are the most clueless thing ever, and seem to suggest that as long as you have iOS7+ or Android 4+ with a resolution of 960x640 then you can magically play it, regardless of what CPU/GPU your phone has. Which, is not the case.

It does indeed have the best from RCT1/RCT2, including the altering objects height from RCT2 to make it all look pretty, and also has graphic sets from both RCTs. I think I saw a few things from various expansion packs for both RCT1 & RCT2 as well.
All in all, if you have a PC and Steam and love the originals, just buy it on Steam and play it on your PC, RCT1 & RCT2 are stable on modern computers, RCT1 is £4.79 and RCT2 is £6.99, and both come with all the expansions on Steam. It'll also save you from wanting to shove the entire phone in your eyeballs to see if you can control it any better directly.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

Not wanting to be a threadsurrector or anything but apparently this came out for PC and MacOS too. Did anyone try this? How does it stack up to the original RCT releases?

I might've missed the thread on this in my search btw.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
Dave

Post by Dave »

I’ve been playing this on a fairly chunky tablet and have found it to be an excellent port. Appreciate it wouldn’t work on smaller devices, though.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

lobster! Far too long since I’ve seen you, hope you’re doing well.

I see it is on Steam, indeed. I wonder if they may release the new TT (aka Locomotion) for PC/Mac at some point? Perhaps depends on how well they think it’ll sell, which could be more tricky given OpenTTD exists...
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

Dave wrote:I’ve been playing this on a fairly chunky tablet and have found it to be an excellent port. Appreciate it wouldn’t work on smaller devices, though.
Awww, I have got this new iPhone X which I would have tried it on but yeah it's probably not even worth trying on that. Did play some OTTD on my old Android tablet which worked fairly well so I see this could definitely work.
SROTU wrote:lobster! Far too long since I’ve seen you, hope you’re doing well.

I see it is on Steam, indeed. I wonder if they may release the new TT (aka Locomotion) for PC/Mac at some point? Perhaps depends on how well they think it’ll sell, which could be more tricky given OpenTTD exists...
Still doing well, still lurking here. :D I can only hope my favourite SROTU himself is still doing well, as well!
To be honest I'd love if they released the new Transport Tycoon for PC/Mac and added proper mod support, so people could convert the amazing stuff done for Locomotion into that game. We all know it won't happen because Sawyer himself is involved, but it's great to dream about... some of those Locomotion mods are my favourite mods of all time, like Scrat & Oppie's NS set and Seelenquell and Plastikman's models/sets.

Anyway, one of the main reasons I also wanted to check this out is to see if that hard object limit has been removed from this version. Anyone know if this is the case?
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

For those with a Switch, RCT could be released onto that too.

Details here; https://www.startengine.com/atari-game-partners - it's a money generating pitch, but reveals a few of the intended features. Also looks like they're going 3D with it, instead of the lovely isometrics we all love.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I wonder if anybody bothered to archive all the great mods before those sites started to disappear.

Return to “Off-Topic”