The mysteries of OpenVPN

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

The mysteries of OpenVPN

Post by Hyronymus »

It's that time of the year when I find myself with ample time to fiddle with my PC and home network. So I decided to look into OpenVPN and I managed to succesfully configure server and client files, load them and experience that I must have overlooked something. The thing is: once my client kicks in I retain an internet connection but the spread drops significantly. I noticed that my ethernet adapter and client tap have very littel traffic going on and my server tap even no traffic. Can anyone shed a light on this mystery as the #openvpn irc channel isn't very supportive and I find myself reading the same manuals time and again to no avail.

Further info: I run the server and client on the same Windows 10 PC with OpenVPN installed. I'm considering to expand it to a virtual Ubuntu drive as I want to get more understanding of Ubuntu.
SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: The mysteries of OpenVPN

Post by SkeedR »

A VPN is only useful for extending your network outside the bounds of it. The client, typically, shouldn't be in the same network as the server.
Last known as: Weirdy
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

SkeedR wrote:A VPN is only useful for extending your network outside the bounds of it. The client, typically, shouldn't be in the same network as the server.
That should not really matter. It might matter if the connection is going to the same computer, in which case it might go to the loopback adapter and not work properly.

@Hyronymus: Are there any log files anywhere? Maybe there is information in there. And can you see actual traffic going in and out of the client/server using Wireshark or similar programs?
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Transportman wrote:
SkeedR wrote:A VPN is only useful for extending your network outside the bounds of it. The client, typically, shouldn't be in the same network as the server.
That should not really matter. It might matter if the connection is going to the same computer, in which case it might go to the loopback adapter and not work properly.

@Hyronymus: Are there any log files anywhere? Maybe there is information in there. And can you see actual traffic going in and out of the client/server using Wireshark or similar programs?
No traffic is going in or out and the although the log files mention no error. I tried several tutorials and most of them were succesful up to the part of data transfer over the OpenVPN. In the mean time I am waiting for a friend to come over and help me with it, he is quite savvy on network setups.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Do you maybe have another computer to try with? Maybe your computer does not appear to make the connection, because it notices that it is connecting to itself...
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Transportman wrote:Do you maybe have another computer to try with? Maybe your computer does not appear to make the connection, because it notices that it is connecting to itself...
I had that first and then read on how to install a seperate TAP adeptor with it's own IP. Still no luck :P.

Return to “Off-Topic”