Game : Tycoon Lands

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

pointcache
Engineer
Engineer

Game : Tycoon Lands

Post by pointcache »

Hi people! I am a poor forest dwelling game developer that started development of my dream tycoon game.
Since im a fan of all the tycoon/builder games i decided to instantly go public and get opinions and impressions.

My plan is to create something with deep simulation but with lightweight mood.
So as you see graphically im being inspired by latest SimCity, and Cities Skylines.
Im programming and modelling and designing everything myself.

Now a bit about the insides.

* Unity3d.
* Data driven ECS architecture
* Super optimized systems with time slicing
* Super optimized graphics and models for future

Current stuff:

* Day/night system
* Windows light at night
* Lights light at night
* Trees grow and spread forming huge forests
* Player data, company, money etc

So im currently working on rail placement system and after that ill jump into launching first train from forest to lumber mill.
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Game : Tycoon Lands

Post by Drury »

Good job thinking about performance.

I have no idea what ECS is but I approve nonetheless.

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
pointcache
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pointcache »

Drury wrote:Good job thinking about performance.

I have no idea what ECS is but I approve nonetheless.
:D Ecs is a paradigm, in short its when you have all the things in game as just data, and completely separate from data are a bunch of systems that look at it, cherry pick what they want and change it.
Since systems communicate through data, they are absolutely decoupled from each other and completely modular.
In programming its the toppest way to do simulations.

Added linear, quadratic and cubic curves which are basis for rails
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

pointcache wrote::D Ecs is a paradigm, in short its when you have all the things in game as just data, and completely separate from data are a bunch of systems that look at it, cherry pick what they want and change it.
Since systems communicate through data, they are absolutely decoupled from each other and completely modular.
In programming its the toppest way to do simulations.
I totally like toppest ways of doing things.

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

If you are looking for performance, i wouldn't have gone with Unity personally. It's rather bulky and not the fastest running of engines when compared to others, on either low or high end systems.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
pointcache
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pointcache »

Redirect Left wrote:If you are looking for performance, i wouldn't have gone with Unity personally. It's rather bulky and not the fastest running of engines when compared to others, on either low or high end systems.
I would argue about it, and it's very easy to debunk this statement (it's understandable because its a very popular opinion about unity), if you want example of similar game built using unity look
at Cities Skylines, it's fully built on unity and it's the most massive and complex city builder. Every engine has it's drawbacks, but in right hands unity is no worse than the others.
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Redirect Left wrote:If you are looking for performance, i wouldn't have gone with Unity personally. It's rather bulky and not the fastest running of engines when compared to others, on either low or high end systems.
Unity attracts bad devs is all.

I don't know if OP is a bad dev since I'm a bad dev, but he seems like a pretty cool dev to me.

-Drury
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Oh don't get me wrong. You can optimise Unity to do very large things and it run fine, but it can be very cumbersome to do that compared to others, and the end result is often full of annoying FPS drops and rather large PC requirements that quickly go out of what you originally expected or anticipated.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
pointcache
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pointcache »

Redirect Left wrote:Oh don't get me wrong. You can optimise Unity to do very large things and it run fine, but it can be very cumbersome to do that compared to others, and the end result is often full of annoying FPS drops and rather large PC requirements that quickly go out of what you originally expected or anticipated.
Unity can be quite quirky thats for sure :D still speed of development outweighs all of cons imo.
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Redirect Left wrote:Oh don't get me wrong. You can optimise Unity to do very large things and it run fine, but it can be very cumbersome to do that compared to others, and the end result is often full of annoying FPS drops and rather large PC requirements that quickly go out of what you originally expected or anticipated.
Hey the profiler makes it pretty easy to see how exactly you're violating your machine.

And with the cool entitled combative system that OP uses there won't be issues doing a huge game like this, it sounds like a solid plan.

I'm not even being fanboyist over here.

-Drury
pointcache
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pointcache »

Drury wrote:
Hey the profiler makes it pretty easy to see how exactly you're violating your machine.

And with the cool entitled combative system that OP uses there won't be issues doing a huge game like this, it sounds like a solid plan.

I'm not even being fanboyist over here.
Haha ecs is this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entity%E2 ... 0%93system
you can also read my own description in layman terms here https://github.com/pointcache/JECSu
its my framework which i use for this project (partially, cuz there it is heavily outdated)
pointcache
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pointcache »

painting terrain procedurally under plots, not very successful so far
pointcache
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pointcache »

Woohoo!
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

pointcache wrote:
I would argue about it, and it's very easy to debunk this statement (it's understandable because its a very popular opinion about unity), if you want example of similar game built using unity look
at Cities Skylines, it's fully built on unity and it's the most massive and complex city builder. Every engine has it's drawbacks, but in right hands unity is no worse than the others.
As a player of cities skylines I can say they did pretty good but it can still be laggy especially once you have a large city with lots of things to simulate.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
pointcache
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pointcache »

NekoMaster wrote:
pointcache wrote:
As a player of cities skylines I can say they did pretty good but it can still be laggy especially once you have a large city with lots of things to simulate.
if i get to the point my game is so huge that it lags, i will be swimming in steam sales already
pointcache
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pointcache »

pointcache
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pointcache »

Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

I like that I'm not the only serial poster here now, but I think you should hide before the mods come to bully.

-Drury
pointcache
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pointcache »

Drury wrote:I like that I'm not the only serial poster here now, but I think you should hide before the mods come to bully.
For what reason should i be moderated?
Im just sharing my progress it's not like i care about post count.
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

pointcache wrote:
Drury wrote:I like that I'm not the only serial poster here now, but I think you should hide before the mods come to bully.
For what reason should i be moderated?
Im just sharing my progress it's not like i care about post count.
Well it's not my business, I guess there's a reason I'm not a mod. I don't know if it's even against the rules, but it's definitely frowned upon even if you're having a lot of fun. I mean, especially if you're having a lot of fun.

-Drury

Return to “Off-Topic”