Yet more PC issues

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Nawdic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Yet more PC issues

Post by Nawdic »

Evenig all,

Having rebuilt an old PC I had as the mobo had failed, I have found out I'm gettig a BSOD before it reboots so quickly, I cannot read what the issue is.

The OS is Windows XP Pro 32bit, the new mobo is an MSI with AMD AM1 Sempron processor (old was an Asus unit with AMD Athlon XP processor), 2GB Ram, 80GB IDE harddrive, with translator to SATA.

I can select boot options from mobo but everytime I select the hard drive, it BSODs just before the Windows logo has chance to show itself. I'm trying to keep the hard drive as it has some personal memories on it.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening?

Thanks all
Very much a retired regular poster..... If you can say that :mrgreen:
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Yet more PC issues

Post by NekoMaster »

Nordic Dragon wrote:Evenig all,

Having rebuilt an old PC I had as the mobo had failed, I have found out I'm gettig a BSOD before it reboots so quickly, I cannot read what the issue is.

The OS is Windows XP Pro 32bit, the new mobo is an MSI with AMD AM1 Sempron processor (old was an Asus unit with AMD Athlon XP processor), 2GB Ram, 80GB IDE harddrive, with translator to SATA.

I can select boot options from mobo but everytime I select the hard drive, it BSODs just before the Windows logo has chance to show itself. I'm trying to keep the hard drive as it has some personal memories on it.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening?

Thanks all
If your trying to boot a previous installation of Windows, windows doesn't like being installed on one computer/motherboard and then moved to another. The change in motherboards is probably making windows xp freak out.

If this is true you'll need to reinstall windows xp.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
TimeLapse1357
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TimeLapse1357 »

you will need to boot from the Windows CD and repair windows

look here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/824125
Nathanxbox20
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Nathanxbox20 »

Nordic Dragon wrote:I'm trying to keep the hard drive as it has some personal memories on it.
Don't reinstall Windows. You'll lose the data you want. Throw this drive into a working computer to get the data off of it.
I'm not normal. Because normal is stupid. And stupid is normal.
Life has no respawns.
A Locomotion, BeamNG.drive, and OpenTTD enthusiast and amateur photographer. Also getting into model railroading.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Yeah, but with two Windows installations it'll (most likely) screw up booting. That's probably what's causing this in the first place - might be enough to change the boot order. Might need a installation repair or something.

Might of course also be something with the hardware. Difficult to diagnose from afar with only that much info ^^
TimeLapse1357
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TimeLapse1357 »

Nathanxbox20 wrote:
Nordic Dragon wrote:I'm trying to keep the hard drive as it has some personal memories on it.
Don't reinstall Windows. You'll lose the data you want. Throw this drive into a working computer to get the data off of it.
Windows installer has an option to install without formatting. The 'data' should remain intact. You will need to reinstall all of your apps and games though.
It is always a good idea to backup your data. I recommend getting one of those IDE/SATA to USB adapters. They are so much easier to use because you don't have to crack the case of the 'host' computer.
Pyoro wrote:Yeah, but with two Windows installations it'll (most likely) screw up booting. That's probably what's causing this in the first place - might be enough to change the boot order. Might need a installation repair or something.

Might of course also be something with the hardware. Difficult to diagnose from afar with only that much info ^^
When windows reinstalls/repairs, it writes over the current installation.

Windows uses drivers for the chipsets and controllers on the motherboard. The OP replaced the motherboard with a different one (and different CPU) so those drivers need to be replaced. during the (re)installation process, windows detects new hardware and installs the needed drivers. that should eliminate the BSOD problem.

Return to “Off-Topic”