TT Meet 2017: Birmingham 10th Anniversary Meet - VOTE FOR DATES

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

What datrs could you attend a meet?

Poll ended at 17 Jan 2017 22:35

17th June
31%
22nd July
31%
29th July
38%

Total votes: 29

SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: TT Meet 2017: Birmingham 10th Anniversary Meet

Post by SkeedR »

SkeedR wrote:If this isn't during my two weeks in Uganda, I should be able to actually make it to a meet, for the first time EVER. Finally.
Well, I guess that means I've got to attend now then...
Last known as: Weirdy
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Re: TT Meet 2017: Birmingham 10th Anniversary Meet - VOTE FOR DATES

Post by orudge »

Just a reminder, there's just under a week left to vote on this - currently the 29th of July is looking most likely. If you think you can come along, please vote! Once the vote is closed I'll create a wiki page and you can sign up, and we can plan out what we want to do.
TomS
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TomS »

orudge wrote:Once the vote is closed I'll create a wiki page and you can sign up, and we can plan out what we want to do.
Are we limited to wining and dining options, or are there opportunities for suggestions like trying to organise a tour of some facility prior to wining and dining?

I've voted for all 3 dates as my calendar doesn't stretch out that far, so what ever ends up being I will pen in and everything else will have to fit around.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

TomS wrote:Are we limited to wining and dining options, or are there opportunities for suggestions like trying to organise a tour of some facility prior to wining and dining?
Well the 2016 meet started in a pub but included both a Top Gear style race through London (Andel won through cheating and ended up getting a ticket. Poor sport) and a visit to a transport museum. We'd happily plan a tour or a vist to something Transport Tycoon related, but wining and dining is something we all need too!
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

TomS wrote:Are we limited to wining and dining options, or are there opportunities for suggestions like trying to organise a tour of some facility prior to wining and dining?
We should definitely try to do something other than just wining and dining (although there will be plenty of that I hope too). A random thing that I found, for instance, is the Wonderful World of Trains & Planes, which looks like it might be interesting for a visit. (Apparently they do special group rates for groups of 10 or more, so if enough of us can commit to definitely being there, we could perhaps get a good deal on it. Anyone remember the 2009 meet in York at the National Rail Museum? :) )

Suggestions from people more familiar with Birmingham than I am are of course welcome!
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

orudge wrote:
We should definitely try to do something other than just wining and dining (although there will be plenty of that I hope too). A random thing that I found, for instance, is the Wonderful World of Trains & Planes, which looks like it might be interesting for a visit. (Apparently they do special group rates for groups of 10 or more, so if enough of us can commit to definitely being there, we could perhaps get a good deal on it. Anyone remember the 2009 meet in York at the National Rail Museum? :) )

Suggestions from people more familiar with Birmingham than I am are of course welcome!
It would appear as though that thing is currently shut, unfortunately, for example, this article on their website says they've had to close, and on the home page, it said it was s*** as well.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

"We have now closed We have taken the sad step of closing, permanently today"

that's a shame, it actually looked alright, although anything with 'train' or 'transport' in the name does to me. Hopefully we can find a good place like how NRM was for the York meet. By far the meet i enjoyed the most of the 3 (York, Crewe & London 2016) i've been to.
Also, I hope Birmingham is cheaper than London for food / drink. Nearly bankrupted myself at the London one. Might have to bring a backpack with lots of £0.45 bottles of pepsi from Huddersfield Markets...
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

That's a shame, the place looked good. Well, we can have a look and see what else is out there.

The last time I was in Birmingham (2007, excluding a quick transit at New Street in 2009) I don't remember prices being too ridiculous. As always, Zernebok customers will get a free drink, and although I couldn't be there last year you hopefully all got something from Dave on my behalf!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Nah I pocketed the fifty notes!
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

orudge wrote:hopefully all got something from Dave on my behalf!
Oh, I was wondering what that kiss was about! :lol:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

orudge wrote:you hopefully all got something from Dave on my behalf!
I can confirm he did, there was no pilfering involved there :P

I think one year, we should all spread our wings and head over to Hamburg and visit Miniatur Wunderland, after we've exhausted everything in the UK.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Last chance to vote! The poll closes tonight.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Birmingham has vastly improved in the 10 years since the first meet, I expect it'll be a bit more expensive than you think.

As ever the way to define this is cost of a pint, and the answer is about £3.50 for a lager, up to £4 for a premium beer.

Flickr

SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

Dave wrote:Birmingham has vastly improved in the 10 years since the first meet, I expect it'll be a bit more expensive than you think.

As ever the way to define this is cost of a pint, and the answer is about £3.50 for a lager, up to £4 for a premium beer.
What about Cider?
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Dave wrote:Birmingham has vastly improved in the 10 years since the first meet, I expect it'll be a bit more expensive than you think.

Which is why we're never hosting a meet in the £6 half pint city of Stockholm :)
My Scenarios:
Dave

Post by Dave »

SkeedR wrote:

What about Cider?
Well. £3.50 for a commercially available Strongbow or something, up to 4 quid for a premium. Maybe a bit more for a bottled cider.

Flickr

SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

Dave wrote:
SkeedR wrote:

What about Cider?
Well. £3.50 for a commercially available Strongbow or something, up to 4 quid for a premium. Maybe a bit more for a bottled cider.
We all know that no-one sane actually buys Wrongbow...
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

It's funny. You Brits all want the sweet ciders we produce in Sweden. Kopparbergs and Rekorderlig. We all want the dry ciders coming out of the UK and Ireland. Strongbow and Magners.
My Scenarios:
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

SkeedR wrote:
Dave wrote:
SkeedR wrote: What about Cider?
We all know that no-one sane actually buys Wrongbow...
Unless it's the Dark Fruits one! I rather like that stuff.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

That's cheap! I'm in.

Return to “Off-Topic”