Donald Trump elected 45th US president

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Dave

Re: Donald Trump elected 45th US president

Post by Dave »

uzurpator wrote:Politicized butthurt
I'm getting pretty tired of seeing this boring, irrelevant phrase.

I can't imagine the maelstrom of turd from the right wing if the election had gone the other way - would you have dismissed that as "butthurt" as well?

This isn't Facebook or Twitter - try responding maturely.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Chrill wrote:I confess, I do not fully know the US Constitution, but I sincerely believe that a FUNDAMENTAL freedom is the freedom of religion. Then how can a law banning people from Muslim countries be seen as anything other than unconstitutional?
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Incidentally, adopted at the same time as the right to bear arms (amongst other things) in the Second Amendment that is really important to a lot of people seemingly dodging the significance of the First Amendment right now.
uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator
Transport Empire Moderator

Post by uzurpator »

Dave wrote:I can't imagine the maelstrom of turd from the right wing if the election had gone the other way - would you have dismissed that as "butthurt" as well?

This isn't Facebook or Twitter - try responding maturely.
:bow:

Regarding your question. Right wing is now on the rise, so they are much more in the gloating/schadenfreude mode. But yea - I had just as much fun when Obama was elected laughing at birthers (ironically) and other right wing vermin.

That being said - you just got to admire people losing their temper over a guy that pretty much trolled himself to the, arguably, highest political office on this planet.
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

uzurpator wrote:Ironically, Thunderf00t is, let me put it nicely, not really a fan of muslims. I haven't followed him for some time tho.
Well, that's it - Or is it ? Among the first videos he uploaded, seems to be a perfect 180° turn... He never fully went against some entity (like the people who went against him).
uzurpator wrote:Anyhow. This is a red herring. Just because someone somewhere, unrelated to the discussed map, pushed a narrative does not invalidate the map, unless I miss a link somewhere.
The link is where everyone hasn't seen one. It's just a caution so far.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
arikover
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by arikover »

*due to an error in translation, this post, making no more sense, was deleted*
Last edited by arikover on 01 Feb 2017 19:02, edited 2 times in total.
Train<In>Vain
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Train<In>Vain »

I might add that the 7 countries selected have never carried out terrorist attacks on American soil.
If a threat is detected, why not prevent the attack before it happens? This was something that G.W. Bush was (rightly) criticized for.

Saudi Arabia, Egypt, UAE, Jordan, and Kuwaiti citizens have done it. None of these countries are on his list!
It's not Trump's list of countries, it's Obama's. I would certainly be in favor of expanding it to the countries you listed (with maybe the exception of Egypt because I'm a big fan of al-Sisi). To your point about Constitutionality: Trump is exercising the same power that most presidents have exercised in the past 50 years, including Carter and Obama.
Rookie of the Year: 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016
Train<In>Vain
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Train<In>Vain »

Here's what you get when you have an actual leader as opposed to a community organizer (not that there's anything wrong with that)...

Lockheed Martin, Pentagon announce F-35 contract deal that shaves $728 million in costs

The Pentagon and Lockheed Martin announced on Friday a contract deal for the next batch of 90 F-35 Joint Strike Fighter jets that shaves $728 million off the total cost of the program and brings the per-plane cost of the stealth plane below $95 million for the first time.

The contract is “a good and fair deal for the taxpayers, the U.S. Government, allies, and Industry,” F-35 Program Executive Officer Lt. Gen. Chris Bogdan said in a statement. “We continue to work with Industry to drive costs out of the program.”

The announcement brings an end to months of unusually public negotiations between the Trump administration and Lockheed Martin, which manufactures the plane.

In late December the president took to Twitter to criticize the program for being too expensive. He even went so far as to ask one of Lockheed’s competitors, Boeing, to “price out a comparable F-18 Super Hornet,” as an alternative to the F-35. The Pentagon subsequently said the F-18 would be considered as an alternative to the F-35C, a more expensive variant that accounts for a very small portion of the overall program.

On Monday, Trump took credit for squeezing costs out the program, which he estimated at the time would be about $600 million.

“President Trump’s personal involvement in the F-35 program accelerated the negotiations and sharpened our focus on driving down the price,” Lockheed Martin spokesman Bill Phelps said in a statement Thursday. “The agreement was reached in a matter of weeks and represents significant savings over previous contracts.”

For comparison, the development cost of F-15SE is estimated at $100m each.
Rookie of the Year: 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016
SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

Train<In>Vain wrote:Here's what you get when you have an actual leader as opposed to a community organizer (not that there's anything wrong with that)...

Lockheed Martin, Pentagon announce F-35 contract deal that shaves $728 million in costs

The Pentagon and Lockheed Martin announced on Friday a contract deal for the next batch of 90 F-35 Joint Strike Fighter jets that shaves $728 million off the total cost of the program and brings the per-plane cost of the stealth plane below $95 million for the first time.

The contract is “a good and fair deal for the taxpayers, the U.S. Government, allies, and Industry,” F-35 Program Executive Officer Lt. Gen. Chris Bogdan said in a statement. “We continue to work with Industry to drive costs out of the program.”

The announcement brings an end to months of unusually public negotiations between the Trump administration and Lockheed Martin, which manufactures the plane.

In late December the president took to Twitter to criticize the program for being too expensive. He even went so far as to ask one of Lockheed’s competitors, Boeing, to “price out a comparable F-18 Super Hornet,” as an alternative to the F-35. The Pentagon subsequently said the F-18 would be considered as an alternative to the F-35C, a more expensive variant that accounts for a very small portion of the overall program.

On Monday, Trump took credit for squeezing costs out the program, which he estimated at the time would be about $600 million.

“President Trump’s personal involvement in the F-35 program accelerated the negotiations and sharpened our focus on driving down the price,” Lockheed Martin spokesman Bill Phelps said in a statement Thursday. “The agreement was reached in a matter of weeks and represents significant savings over previous contracts.”

For comparison, the development cost of F-15SE is estimated at $100m each.
You missed a bit;
“This is both a substantial price reduction and an expected one. [Joint Program Manager] Bogdan talked about these kind of broad expectations last year,” said Mackenzie Eaglen, a military analyst at the American Enterprise Institute, a conservative think-tank.

Eaglen said the president’s intervention probably sped the negotiation toward a conclusion, but said the cost-reductions were already part of the plan.

“The company is going to let him think that this was due to his intervention. … They have no reason not to do that,” Eaglen said. “But I have a feeling the uncertainty he injected spurred a deal much more quickly.”
Emphasis mine.
Last known as: Weirdy
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I believe Swedish media is very anti-Trump, but if I understand everything correctly the following has happened:

1. Trump bans immigration from 7 Muslim nations
2. A district judge overrules Trump and the Department of Homeland Security abides by that judge
3. Trump goes batshit crazy on Twitter, claiming that the judge is a "so-called judge" and then petitioned to overrule the judge
4. The court of appeals once again denies Trump.
5. Trump once again goes batshit crazy on Twitter and basically claims that the American justice system is bulls***.

Effectively, Trump is angry that he has to abide by the silly laws of the nation over which he rules. A President crying on social media about judges doing their job in accordance to the law of his nation... Has that ever before existed?
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Considering social media is a new phenomenon, I'd be surprised.

Still, Trump is on his way to become the least popular POTUS of all time. Presidents' approval ratings are generally at their highest when they enter office, in Trump's case the bar is extremely low and lowering.

What's more amusing though, DNC is still super dense. They just refuse to admit they blew it. Warren knows. Sanders knows. But they still keep on denying it.

/Warren is super funny now considering she endorsed Hillary

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Drury wrote:Considering social media is a new phenomenon, I'd be surprised.
Fair enough. Allow me to rephrase:

A President crying in the media about judges doing their job in accordance to the law of his nation... Has that ever before existed?

Clearly both this judge and the appellation court came to a similar conclusion. If this ends up in the Supreme Court, how will they decide? There are only 8 people there, and the Democrats seem hell bent on doing to Trump what the Republicans did to Obama. Trump will end having to go very much down the middle with a future selection to fill that 9th seat. Someone too conservative just won't get approval.
My Scenarios:
Dave

Post by Dave »

Any negative polls are fake news, just like the CNN, ABC, NBC polls in the election. Sorry, people want border security and extreme vetting.
This from a tweet earlier today (source: NYT)

I'm all for democracy and "getting over it" or whatever, but this is scary. You can't just dismiss all negative press as "fake".

Some people may well want border security and extreme vetting - I imagine equally some people absolutely don't. That people disagree is a value of strong democracy; the democratically elected president shouldn't dismiss reports of different opinions as "fake" - it's dangerous and it's a slippery slope.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Chrill wrote:
Fair enough. Allow me to rephrase:

A President crying in the media about judges doing their job in accordance to the law of his nation... Has that ever before existed?
Perhaps in the office room, yes.

I have to say that sometimes people take social media as a semi-private thing (while it clearly isn't, and the reader won't always be smart and be polite and such OR too polite and too smart), so it's quite normal to see these kinds of thing today. The ex-president here now is also a bully thing thanks to social media.

Something to remember : everything you made on the .net, stays on the .net, and everyone, including the dumb, can read it.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Train<In>Vain
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Train<In>Vain »

Still, Trump is on his way to become the least popular POTUS of all time. Presidents' approval ratings are generally at their highest when they enter office, in Trump's case the bar is extremely low and lowering.

What's more amusing though, DNC is still super dense. They just refuse to admit they blew it. Warren knows. Sanders knows. But they still keep on denying it.

/Warren is super funny now considering she endorsed Hillary
You would think that that the rest of the world would show their disapproval of Trump by refusing to travel to the USA, but you'd be wrong, at least when it comes to the "7 Muslim nations" :lol:
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Train<In>Vain wrote:You would think that that the rest of the world would show their disapproval of Trump by refusing to travel to the USA, but you'd be wrong, at least when it comes to the "7 Muslim nations" :lol:
Funny you would say that. I read a quote from the leading Swedish website in international flight reservations claiming that their worldwide searches for trips to USA is down by about 50%. That's half of all searches. Now this doesn't DIRECTLY translate to hotels booked, and therefore journeys made, but it's a definitive reduction and can surely be replicated in other nations.

Source: http://www.thelocal.se/20170202/trumps- ... rips-halve
Unless of course The Local is a fake news site. It's one of few Swedish news outlets reporting in English, but mainstream Swedish media is reporting the same albeit in Swedish.

And yes, I do believe Swedes are more sensitive to Trump's antics than many other countries. Then again, if Swedish visits are down by 50%, one can assume that tourists from other countries will also choose not to visit the United States. Even a 10% reduction in international travels would be absolutely devastating to the American tourism industry.
My Scenarios:
Train<In>Vain
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Train<In>Vain »

tell your daughter

Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Chrill wrote:And yes, I do believe Swedes are more sensitive to Trump's antics than many other countries. Then again, if Swedish visits are down by 50%, one can assume that tourists from other countries will also choose not to visit the United States. Even a 10% reduction in international travels would be absolutely devastating to the American tourism industry.
I can very much see a similar thing happening in the UK. I was considering going to the US before Trump took over, as were several family members and friends, however, the majority of these people (myself included) no longer feel the states is a good place to visit with him in power.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Trump has clearly influenced Facebook. I found this button when reporting a spam post :mrgreen:
Attachments
facebook.png
facebook.png (195.61 KiB) Viewed 2731 times
My Scenarios:
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

In a double-post infringement by Chrill, apparently Trump released a list of under-reported terrorist attacks including one in the 3rd largest city in Sweden, Malmö.

The terror attack in question is definitely underreported because it has not actually happened. An Iraqi community center was set on fire, suffering minor damage to interior and exterior but able to open the next day. The man found guilty of this was sentenced for arson, and definitely not for a terrorist attack. Anyway, had it been a terrorist attack, it would have been aimed at Iraqi Muslims and not at us poor Westerners. Fake news, Mister Trump. Fake. News.
My Scenarios:
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Train<In>Vain wrote:tell your daughter

I don't think gender has a part to play in Clinton's misdemeanors, nor does it in Trump's (with the exception of harassment/misogyny comments, obviously).

Return to “Off-Topic”