Mashinky

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Deonyi
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Mashinky

Post by Deonyi »

That I agree; it is common for people to just place signals everywhere. Indeed, the game effectively requires it. Maybe there's a better way but no game I know has implemented such.
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Here's a VoD from the Casual Connect stream, not sure how long it will stay. Jan's 30 minutes in.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/120782611

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

AFAIK signal boxes would be something like OTTD's path signals. The only thing which it can't do yet is allowing trains to cram very close, practically an authorized SPAD (or shunting, shunting signals).
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Drury wrote:Here's a VoD from the Casual Connect stream, not sure how long it will stay. Jan's 30 minutes in.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/120782611
And quite good-looking in front of the camera, too ;)

As that moderator says, it seems to be in a really good shape. I like indie games (and books ^^), but often they aren't as polished as published titles. Of course, sometimes published titles aren't as polished as indie titles either, but, you know. Sometimes problems aren't really notable until release but I'm optimistic about this one. ;)
JanZeleny85
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JanZeleny85 »

Drury, thank you for sharing! ... here is also interview for WisimWelt (in English, with German subtitles): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8Bu3LakjoQ
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

How are you doing on that portrait creation, Jan? :mrgreen:
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
JanZeleny85
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JanZeleny85 »

Chrill wrote:How are you doing on that portrait creation, Jan? :mrgreen:
To be honest, I haven't worked on this yet :/ I was quite bussy with finalizing build for Casual Connect this week and now I am in the middle of rush on White Nights starting tomorrow... hopefully after this one, I will have more time ;) But this is still high on my todo list ;)
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

JanZeleny85 wrote:here is also interview for WisimWelt (in English, with German subtitles)
One thing I noticed in the Interview Gameplay footage (at around 4 minutes) is that the wood wagons on the platform get loaded before the one that is hanging off the platform. Is this similar to the OTTD Penalty where trains with carriages off the platform load slower than one's with all of them on, or was that simply due to a lack of goods?
JanZeleny85
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JanZeleny85 »

Pilot wrote:One thing I noticed in the Interview Gameplay footage (at around 4 minutes) is that the wood wagons on the platform get loaded before the one that is hanging off the platform. Is this similar to the OTTD Penalty where trains with carriages off the platform load slower than one's with all of them on, or was that simply due to a lack of goods?
Yes, this is similar to TTD - When platform is long enought only for lets say 3 wagons, so it will first load these 3 wagons and than next 3 and than next 3, etc... There are also upgrades for station affecting the speed of loading/unloading of specific cargo.
JanZeleny85
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JanZeleny85 »

There is a new gameplay features trailer guys ;) https://youtu.be/ajByBJpSHrY

And if there is anyone speaking Czech, this is the same trailer for him: https://youtu.be/E35Ev-r1Kxw
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Early access coming soon - can we sign up :).
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Great music ;)
Ah, that game looks really good.

I noticed that your overtakes for train have signals at the entry, not just the exit; that's something that can obviously cause traffic jams with enough trains. Is that a requirement for how signals work in the game or just something you/whoever played do? ;)
example.png
example.png (311.76 KiB) Viewed 3696 times
With 4 trains on that line I can potentially jam. Well, assuming it works like OTTD.
JanZeleny85
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JanZeleny85 »

Pyoro wrote:Great music ;)
Ah, that game looks really good.

I noticed that your overtakes for train have signals at the entry, not just the exit; that's something that can obviously cause traffic jams with enough trains. Is that a requirement for how signals work in the game or just something you/whoever played do? ;)
example.png
With 4 trains on that line I can potentially jam. Well, assuming it works like OTTD.
Thanks ;)

yes, for now, it works as TTD, so each signal devide into two blocks - if you have no entry signal, than the train will stop while being still inside one long block before overtake. And with 4 trains, it would be jammed with path signals as well - you can solve this by separating overtakes to more segments for example. But yeah, I need to consider more signal types (at least presignal..)
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Hm. What I was referring to basically was that in OpenTTD, for path signals, trains clear paths behind them. So if a train is in the overtake, the one coming from the opposite direction would be allowed to pass it, even if there's no entry signal "cutting of the block". I guess I'm wondering whether that works or the same or not?

Simplest case:
Of course you are right, you need at least one free signal block or it will jam. But assuming that's the case (which in the screenshot is not true ;) ) and trains aren't too long, this can't ever lock. And as you can see, reserved tracks are on, and the trains don't reserve tracks behind them, keeping the crossings free.

This, however:
Can lock, namely when you waiting trains on both sides of the overtake.

That's all that got me wondering. In the end, two-way lines are usually the way to go anyway. ^^
JanZeleny85
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JanZeleny85 »

Pyoro wrote:Hm. What I was referring to basically was that in OpenTTD, for path signals, trains clear paths behind them. So if a train is in the overtake, the one coming from the opposite direction would be allowed to pass it, even if there's no entry signal "cutting of the block". I guess I'm wondering whether that works or the same or not?

Simplest case:
Of course you are right, you need at least one free signal block or it will jam. But assuming that's the case (which in the screenshot is not true ;) ) and trains aren't too long, this can't ever lock. And as you can see, reserved tracks are on, and the trains don't reserve tracks behind them, keeping the crossings free.

This, however:
Can lock, namely when you waiting trains on both sides of the overtake.

That's all that got me wondering. In the end, two-way lines are usually the way to go anyway. ^^
I see, but still if you have 4 trains (2 waiting from each direction) it will block even with path signals (since second train in each direction is blocking single rail block)... but yes, I need to consider this for potential future extention ;)
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Block signals run a risk of a train stopping at an entry signal in the middle of an intersection and locking it down completely, potentially causing a deadlock. Hence why both OpenTTD and Factorio have chain signals complementing them. I think that at least is a necessity.

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
JanZeleny85
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JanZeleny85 »

Drury wrote:Block signals run a risk of a train stopping at an entry signal in the middle of an intersection and locking it down completely, potentially causing a deadlock. Hence why both OpenTTD and Factorio have chain signals complementing them. I think that at least is a necessity.
Yes, this is called pre-signal and this will probably make to the game soon ;)
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

JanZeleny85 wrote:
Drury wrote:Block signals run a risk of a train stopping at an entry signal in the middle of an intersection and locking it down completely, potentially causing a deadlock. Hence why both OpenTTD and Factorio have chain signals complementing them. I think that at least is a necessity.
Yes, this is called pre-signal and this will probably make to the game soon ;)
Nice :]

-Drury
JanZeleny85
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JanZeleny85 »

Guys, another report about Mashinky game development is here!

[česká verze]: http://www.mashinky.com/reports/report1702cz.jpg

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Just quick FYI, it is spelt 'tunnel' with two ns oddly you use both spellings in the image (but hopefully not ingame texts), may be worth spell checking things if you're not a native speaker. (Although don't worry, I've seen British people with worse ability)

other than that, looking good
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.

Return to “Off-Topic”