Mashinky

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Mashinky

Post by Pyoro »

Love the reverse-speed feature! This sort of thing just makes network feel much more realistic.
JanZeleny85
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JanZeleny85 »

Pyoro wrote:Love the reverse-speed feature! This sort of thing just makes network feel much more realistic.
Thank you! Actually I was sooo excited about the feature, but then 3 first testers asked me to remove it because they hate it :D :D ... it needs a bit more thinking and it is quite a challenge. So I disabled it by default, and created so called Hardcore section in game setup where you can anytime enable / disable it run-time (no need to start new game).
My scripter enabled this feature and never switch back, he loves it as much as I do :)

So you have few options:
- avoid terminal stations by building loop at the end Image

- build circuit track

- build depot behind last station so train can go inside and get back in proper rotation (this is kind of lame solution:)

- my favourite - use waypoints and force train to do such maneuver Image

- buy second locomotive and use at opposite end of train (WIP)

- buy two-heads trains like TGV where it does not matter about direction they go (WIP)

It gives you quite a challenge (not only in track network planning, but also to put together proper train pieces - depending on purpose.
For example each engine has different speed when go on reverse, so some of them are really slow when this happened) but it looks so much more realistic and it is quite satisfying when it works :)
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

What about having a building at the end of a line players can build with a turn table. When a train reaches this building, it'll allow it to flip like you might get without the feature on or like in OpenTTD.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
JanZeleny85
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JanZeleny85 »

NekoMaster wrote:What about having a building at the end of a line players can build with a turn table. When a train reaches this building, it'll allow it to flip like you might get without the feature on or like in OpenTTD.
Depot acts like this (train goes in and out already flipped). I was also thinking about turn-table, but since it could work only for locomotive and not for the rest of wagons, it could be only upgrade building with some parametres, not actually functional animated feature.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Is there a way to script decoupling? You could decouple a train, run it around to the other side, and couple it to the other end of your carriages.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
JanZeleny85
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JanZeleny85 »

Chrill wrote:Is there a way to script decoupling? You could decouple a train, run it around to the other side, and couple it to the other end of your carriages.
there is no way how to script it, it needs to be build into the game code. I was thinking about it for some time and first, I was very sceptic about it due to quite complex AI, UI, etc.. but thanks to waypoint system, it would be maybe possible in the future, but it is really low prio atm..
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

JanZeleny85 wrote:Thank you! Actually I was sooo excited about the feature, but then 3 first testers asked me to remove it because they hate it :D :D ... it needs a bit more thinking and it is quite a challenge. So I disabled it by default, and created so called Hardcore section in game setup where you can anytime enable / disable it run-time (no need to start new game).)
Yeah, I can kinda get that, especially since shunting isn't possible. So to turn long trains you'd need huge escapes (or loops), instead of just some small section where you can drive around the engine. That wouldn't be something everyone enjoyed in their game, either visually or gameplay-wise, I can see that.

But ... like many people I have been playing transportation sims for 20+ years and I'm certainly not complaining about somebody trying something new. Maybe it won't be perfect on the first try, but gotta start somewhere ;)
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Large wyes and loops do exist in real life. I remember a train trip to Washington DC we made when I was a kid, our train had to be turned on a wye before entering the terminal. Figure about 10-12 85 foot long cars, plus a few locomotives (Two or three) 60 to 70 feet long each.

Sometimes I play OpenTTD where I have to build turn around loops, things like that. Using push-pull trains I can use wyes without the train just flipping around (At least visually - I think it does flip so far as game mechanics are concerned).

Try building a wye in an established city! It's very pricey, but adds a new dimension to gameplay, where you have to figure what towns WILL get larger, and plan for future service.
Without Trains America Stops

Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

I'm all for added realism but it's a shame this can't be implemented with the ability to run the locomotive around the train. It just seems like a sadomasochistic step too far to me but each to their own!
If it had run-round options then I would have a massive horn for this.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Ameecher wrote:I'm all for added realism but it's a shame this can't be implemented with the ability to run the locomotive around the train. It just seems like a sadomasochistic step too far to me but each to their own!
But imagine the signaling and the routing and so on needed that nothing can get stuck for the run-around option. I'm fairly sure that'd be more sadomasochistic to set-up for the player than just the "no turning around" option. Loops are fairly uncomplicated to comprehend, at least ;)
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Pyoro wrote:
Ameecher wrote:I'm all for added realism but it's a shame this can't be implemented with the ability to run the locomotive around the train. It just seems like a sadomasochistic step too far to me but each to their own!
But imagine the signaling and the routing and so on needed that nothing can get stuck for the run-around option. I'm fairly sure that'd be more sadomasochistic to set-up for the player than just the "no turning around" option. Loops are fairly uncomplicated to comprehend, at least ;)
I'm not saying it would be easy at all, it was merely a statement.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
JanZeleny85
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JanZeleny85 »

Pyoro wrote: But imagine the signaling and the routing and so on needed that nothing can get stuck for the run-around option. I'm fairly sure that'd be more sadomasochistic to set-up for the player than just the "no turning around" option. Loops are fairly uncomplicated to comprehend, at least ;)
Exactly, if is quite challenging to implement due to signaling, pathfinding (imagine different engine length, some tracks could be occupated, some junctions could be too short, etc). And moreover it is quite challenging also to clearly describe it to the player (why the train did not do that, where is the problem it cannot run around..)

I am not saying that it is not possible:) I have few ideas and some of these issues are solved in my head, but I am still missing few pieces of this puzzle. The non-turn-around feature is the first step within this direction...
JanZeleny85
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JanZeleny85 »

I've managed to move heightmap generator to the GPU! It can produce awesome bigger landscapes within 2 seconds ;) .. Then it needs to load many models, so the new map is not started after these 2 seconds, but it helped a LOT.

Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Hell yeah compute shaders!

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
Dave

Post by Dave »

*one breathes heavily*
Last edited by Dave on 27 Jun 2017 23:20, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Just to appease those with no sense of humour, dears...
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Does this require a powerful GPU? because my 1280MB GTX 570 barely cuts the mustard for modern gaming.
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

NekoMaster wrote:Does this require a powerful GPU? because my 1280MB GTX 570 barely cuts the mustard for modern gaming.
GTX 570 is like 7 years old though...
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Chrill wrote:
NekoMaster wrote:Does this require a powerful GPU? because my 1280MB GTX 570 barely cuts the mustard for modern gaming.
GTX 570 is like 7 years old though...
Its called monies and i do not have the monies
JanZeleny85
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JanZeleny85 »

Drury wrote:Hell yeah compute shaders!
Actually it does not even need compute shaders, I've implemented it in pixel shader only. It could benefit from CS, but I would loose some of compatibility with older GPUs..
Do not worry, this one is even DirectX9 compatible and if GPU is less powerfull, it only takes few extra seconds to generate ;)
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

JanZeleny85 wrote:
Drury wrote:Hell yeah compute shaders!
Actually it does not even need compute shaders, I've implemented it in pixel shader only. It could benefit from CS, but I would loose some of compatibility with older GPUs..
Do not worry, this one is even DirectX9 compatible and if GPU is less powerfull, it only takes few extra seconds to generate ;)
Well I hope that I wont have to spend money on building a new computer to play Mashinky when it comes out.

Return to “Off-Topic”