Mashinky

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

JanZeleny85
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Mashinky

Post by JanZeleny85 »

Redirect Left wrote:
NekoMaster wrote: Also I hope the computer specs wont be too demanding, I only have a Phenom II x4 (3.4Ghz), 8GB of Ram and a GTX 570 Video card. Im finding a lot of new games are pushing my hardware or even not able to run on 2012-2013 vintage hardware.
I have the same, other than an i5 Intel 3,5ghz. I find everything I've thrown at my rig works so far, even gta v runs at a decent fps
I cannot say for sure (have not possibility to test this configuration yet), but since the GPU has 1400+ GFlops, it should be ok ;)
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Doesn't matter too much for me now, i've upgraded to a GTX1070, still got the same CPU but it handles everything fine still :D
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
JanZeleny85
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JanZeleny85 »

Redirect Left wrote:Doesn't matter too much for me now, i've upgraded to a GTX1070, still got the same CPU but it handles everything fine still :D
OK, 5783 GFlops :D that sounds better :)
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

I'm still stuck with my 1.2GB GTX 570 Super Overclocked and 8GB of RAM with a AMD Phenom II x4 CPU (3.4 GHZ quad core)

I imagine though this will be more then enough to play Mashinky if I can still get stuff like Fallout 4 and GTA 5 to work on medium settings.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

I went with some random cheapo GPU since I don't need it that much for my purposes, but I'm sure it's over 1400 gfaps.

Will you put up a demo?

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
JanZeleny85
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JanZeleny85 »

Drury wrote:Will you put up a demo?
Hello Drury, unfortunatelly no, since steam support cash back once you decide (within some limits - like gameplay time etc.)

I am afraid that with such modding support, it would be easy to "mod" demo to be full game instead :D
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

JanZeleny85 wrote:
Drury wrote:Will you put up a demo?
Hello Drury, unfortunatelly no, since steam support cash back once you decide (within some limits - like gameplay time etc.)

I am afraid that with such modding support, it would be easy to "mod" demo to be full game instead :D
Don't worry about that, people will pirate it instead :P

With a demo you'll at least catch the "honest pirates" such as me who only pirate games because they lack demos and there's no other way to see if the game runs before dropping money on it. Refunds can also take the role of a demo, but there's issues like "do I slash my by budget by 20 buckaroos for a few days just to test this one game for 2 hours and oh crap I fell asleep playing no man's sky now I can't refund it dag-nabit"

But yeah if you don't want to delay EA to make a demo that's perfectly fine, it's not a necessity for an EA product, but a full game of any kind has no excuse in my humble opinion.

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

I only pirate stuff I can't afford and buy things I like. I dont think of it like stealing if you download a game and you dont like it so you dont buy it. It wouldn't be any different then someone not buying a game at all. No profits either way.

At least when I can download something and try it out, you can be sure I buy stuff I like. Seeing as Mashinky may just be the OpenTTD 2.0 I've been wanting, I'll probably end up buying when ever i have money (thankfully next month Canadians get their GST which you get if you do your taxes, basicaly free money every quarter)
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Since Steam came out. I don't think i've pirated any games, just all the other things!
Could make the demo as hard as possible to alter into the full thing. Different branch in the code base so there isn't even the full code to activate anyway.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Perhaps when Mashinky comes out some of you guys if you buy it could try recording some game play to show off to potential buyers this way if we can't get a demo at least potential buyers can see what the Early access game is like.

Though from what I've seen from Jay's previous vidoes and posts, it looks like Mashinky will be rather fun and enjoyable. I look forward to playing it.
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Full disclosure, I'm buying it with no regrets even if it sets my apartment on fire, the demo thing is more a matter of high politics. It's just a net positive for everyone involved.

-Drury
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Drury wrote:It's just a net positive for everyone involved.
It's additional work that can be spend on other things. What do you people expect? I agree there's not much excuse for someone like EA or BioWare, but this is a small indie game with limited resources.

Can't be only me who's mildly disgusted by all this talk about piracy of a indie game right where the dev can read it.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Pyoro wrote:
It's additional work that can be spend on other things. What do you people expect? I agree there's not much excuse for someone like EA or BioWare, but this is a small indie game with limited resources.

Can't be only me who's mildly disgusted by all this talk about piracy of a indie game right where the dev can read it.
I dont like it either and I am ashamed of it, but it looks like I might not have to do anything bad to get it because I just realised that my next check will include extra money for bus fare/pass and also I'll be getting another check from the government, so I should have the money to buy the game and help Jay out. Money for early ass = more progress (and less worries about finances for the devs)
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Pyoro wrote: Can't be only me who's mildly disgusted by all this talk about piracy of a indie game right where the dev can read it.
I don't believe anyone here has outright said they will pirate the game entirely. More to do with acting as a demo. Which I believe these days is the main reason people probably pirate games, ever since GOG, Steam and others came along, there are some very nice deals worth waiting for in the Spring (Easter), Summer & Winter sales. This is why I haven't pirated a game for many years now, ever since i got steam i just wait for the deals, as i suspect many do. Before piracy reached its peak, and again also before Steam / GOG. Most games had some basic demo that allowed you to test the game on your machine, see if you like it. There was no need to pirate anything really unless you genuinely couldn't afford it, or... was a bit of a tit.

Thankfully (for the end consumer anyway), Steam now gives you a 2 hour leeway to 'return' the game if you don't like it, so it can act as a demo anyway. Probably not all that good for the people making the game, but it takes that place and also takes weight off actually making a cut down demo to begin with.
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Pyoro wrote:

Piracy in my opinion isn't this huge taboo thing nobody should talk about ever, it's a part of the industry that's not going away, probably ever. IMO it's very mature to have a honest conversation with developers about it.

The way I see it, big publishers can afford strong DRM such as Denuvo that fends pirates off for at least a week - a window large enough to rake in most of the cash to be made. When the DRM inevitably gets cracked, sales won't suffer that much anymore, it's just there for launch protection which it does well enough to be worthwhile.

When it comes to small devs, even if DRM is a possibility, it's not all too worthwhile, partly thanks to the attitude you have just demonstrated. People don't feel too good about pirating small games. Doesn't mean they won't pirate them - but as a small dev you don't have much to gain by fighting them, and quite a lot to lose. It's like tilting at windmills.

That's at least the impression I'm getting, I have not actually made a commercial game yet where I'd actually have to apply any of this philosophy in practice. I would definitely take my advice if I did, though. I mean, when I read postmortems of successful indie games, piracy is seldom mentioned, and more importantly, the same goes for postmortems of failed ones (which is quite amazing, those guys tend to blame everything but themselves). If anything, devs sometimes brag about their support of piracy, such as Hotline Miami developers who provided their own torrent, no strings attached. Just see how hard that game flopped.

And no, I'm not trying to scare Jan into giving a demo or else. That'd be a pretty good way to get myself ignored, besides I don't think he cares about my filthy money that much. Piracy is just something that comes up naturally in the discussion about demos - both are about free stuff. My argument was mostly that you shouldn't be scared of people playing your game for free because that's gonna happen no matter what. Might as well have a neat little demo where things happen in a semi-controlled manner.

EDIT: With all these arguments against not having a demo, I forgot some for actually having one. I've filled my typing mojo quota for today so

https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... t/d6y6rd4/
https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... _the_demo/
https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... but_after/

the amazing thing is that this game has a terrible demo at the moment

-Drury
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Drunk thought :

Will seasons ever be a think in Mashinky? it might be nice if there where seasons eventually and perhaps it would effect how trains, trucks, and other things would perform like in the winter.
_dp_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by _dp_ »

Hi Jan!

I've been keeping an eye on Mashinky progress for quite some time and have a great hopes for it to become a better OpenTTD alternative. So far I must say the game looks amazing and have some interesting ideas like token system. Though I'm not that much into sandbox and eye-candy aspect of it as I only play OpenTTD on multiplayer goal servers. So I'm very interested in core game mechanics and modding possibilities of Mashinky to create a competive gameplay environment for it and potentially host such servers on CityMania as we currently do for OpenTTD. Sadly from what I saw on youtube videos the game is still lacking a lot on a basic mechanics part for that. Most notable things I found are:
1. Lack of advanced signals. You can't build dense fail-safe networks with just block signals.
2. Cargo payment/exchange rate seems to be independent of distance and time. This eliminates any need for long-distance travel as well as train and station upgrades. As you can always go for shortest connection with cheapest trains.
3. Off-station loading penalty seems very small. Combined with no time penalty this probably makes one-tile stations the most effecient solution. Only advantage of longer station seems to be extented coverage area, but that's rarely necessary.
4. I didn't see any town growth in the game. And in OpenTTD city-builder is pretty much the only competitive game mode that is advanced enough to be interesting even for very good players
5. Lack of Linux support. It's not a big issue to get a windows for myself to play the game. But integrating it in our automated server running environment will be a different story. Having linux support at least for dedicated servers will be very helpful.

So as it now probably the most effective way of playing Machinky is to avoid any complex networks and go for the simplest short-distance routes with almost no signaling and only basic locomotives. Which is pretty disappointing to be honest, hope that can (and will) be changed by future game updates and mods.

But nevertheless it's a great game, will likely be the first one I buy on steam as I never was interested enough to get it working on my linux xD So keep a good work and good luck with upcoming release!
welshdragon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by welshdragon »

Colonel Failure's play-through of this game is hilarious!

I cannot wait for Mashinky, But need to sort out my PC issues first!
Semi-Retired TT-Forums Member.
These days I'm:
[list][*]A Local Transport Representative for Bus Users Cymru
[*]Social Media Advisxer for Bus Users Cymru
[*]Volunteer and Fundraiser for Guide Dogs[/list]
flickr | twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Steam

I used to be an idiot called tycoonmarkj.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

So I noticed that Mashinky is finally out, though I just dont have the money right now to buy it which sucks. I could buy it but then I'd have no food or booze for Canadian thanks giving this weekend :(
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

welshdragon wrote:Colonel Failure's play-through of this game is hilarious!
What a "network" xD

Also, totally doesn't get bridges ^^;

Return to “Off-Topic”