Mashinky

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

JanZeleny85
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Mashinky

Post by JanZeleny85 »

I mean bugs like $ in this case :D...
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

JanZeleny85 wrote:I mean bugs like $ in this case :D...
The word is "Bucks" not "Bugs" :)
Simozzz wrote:Meanwhile:
Actually really looking forwards to this, will be a sure purchase, as long as my PC can run it! :D Jan, do we have any preliminary PC requirements?
Dave

Post by Dave »

Very excited for this Jan!
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Which prompted me to correct and review some Dutch translations I had previously entered :).
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Yeah Multi-headed trains, I hope Mashinkey can provide for both players that enjoy short or long trains. As a Canadian I'm use to trains moving lots of cargo over long distances so you get mostly long 1-2 kilometer trains. Though most of the stuff going through Oshawa, Ontario is Mixed Frieght (tankers, box cars, hi-cubes, center beams, and some double stacks), Double Stack Container Trains, and the occasional car part/carrier train.

Also I Imagine that the requirements for Mashinky will be based around what ever power Jay's hardware had that he's making Mashinky on.

I hope that my AMD Phenom II x4 965 (3.4Ghz) with 8GB DDR3 and GTX 570 (1280MB VRAM) will be enough. Then again I do plan on building a new computer asap, as I'm starting to doubt the future of my computer and its life.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
JanZeleny85
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JanZeleny85 »

@Hyronymus: Thanks! :) I appreciate that.
@NekoMaster: So far the length of trains is not limited, I will see how this ends up and I can limit it anytime to some reasonable length.. And yes, GTX 570 should be enough for sure:)
Dave

Post by Dave »

Jan,

With your new features, are there any additional strings to sort?

I still have the tutorial texts, I never pasted these into the EN-UK / EN-US translations though.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

I wonder how much abuse Mashinky will take, it would kinda suck if the game couldn't handle a crap ton of long trains moving around :P
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

If there's no length limitation the goal is of course to connect all towns and industries with a single train that has so many carriages it can carry all cargo on the map single-handedly ...
... I see that multi-headed trains are still WIP, but it seems it'll be possible ;)
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Pyoro wrote:If there's no length limitation the goal is of course to connect all towns and industries with a single train that has so many carriages it can carry all cargo on the map single-handedly ...
... I see that multi-headed trains are still WIP, but it seems it'll be possible ;)
I wonder how much power one would need to serve every town and industry with such a long train.

Makes me think of that snake game and this minigame : Time Splitters 2 - Anaconda
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Pyoro wrote:If there's no length limitation the goal is of course to connect all towns and industries with a single train that has so many carriages it can carry all cargo on the map single-handedly ...
Well that's a decent challenge. Immah go for a 128x64 OpenTTD map and do that :mrgreen:
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Deonyi
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Deonyi »

What I'd really like to see is some signal placement restrictions so that perhaps you'd need to build a signal box or something in order to place signals. Just an idea though.
JanZeleny85
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JanZeleny85 »

Deonyi wrote:What I'd really like to see is some signal placement restrictions so that perhaps you'd need to build a signal box or something in order to place signals. Just an idea though.
hmm, interesting. It reminded me one idea with "programable" signals via placing operators and wires per map tile (like the logic in minecraft).. it could be interesting. Maybe if you can describe it into more details to be on the same page.. Thx
S-Transport
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by S-Transport »

I think, that he means this: To build a signal, a signal box is needed. Old signal boxes with lever frames (some also electrical) had a range of 1800 meters at the most, more likely less. Because of this, many stations had two, three, four...up to above twenty signal boxes (Leipzig main station: 22). These signal boxes are and were mostly used with semaphore signals. More modern signal boxes with light signals often control many stations, so there is no range problem anymore.
Greetings, S-Transport
My pictures
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

That sounds like an awful lot of micro management. I would not appreciate that.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
S-Transport
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by S-Transport »

I hope, there will be semaphore and light signals and signal boxes to build. But if they are only decoration, that does not bother me.
Greetings, S-Transport
My pictures
Deonyi
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Deonyi »

Right, obviously only for semaphore signals. I wouldn't think it would be too micro-managementy; isn't placing a signal box every few signals basically the same thing as placing signals in itself? But it's Jan's game so he can do what he likes with it. I'm looking forward to it no matter.
JanZeleny85
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JanZeleny85 »

Deonyi wrote:Right, obviously only for semaphore signals. I wouldn't think it would be too micro-managementy; isn't placing a signal box every few signals basically the same thing as placing signals in itself? But it's Jan's game so he can do what he likes with it. I'm looking forward to it no matter.
yeah, placing only one more object on map does not sound as improvement of gameplay, the only think I am thinking about is what I mentioned - aside ordinary signals, have also possibility to connect signals with some simple logic operators - signal A is green only if one or B or C is green or if both D and E are green.... something like this, but it is definitely low prio atm.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Well, a simple "area of effect" where it's first necessary to build a signal box and then signals wouldn't be too outrageous for a gameplay method - lots of simu-type games come with this sort of thing. Anno for example has the market place range. Project Aurora the area where drones can fly, before you need to build extra drones. And so on.

But signals in transport games tend to not quite work like irl; you need to place them in pretty tight intervals over the entire lines, not just near junctions and such, so you'd need to place signal boxes everywhere (I'm fairly sure this will happen in Mashinky, too). And if you need to place them everywhere, then you might as well not place them at all, since then they indeed don't add anything to the game.

Might be something that could be used as a variation for waypoints though. Like in OTTD, I suppose ^^;
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

TTD-style signals are quite counter-intuitive as they are, not sure we want to add more complexity to them.

Factorio players tend to avoid building them because they can't wrap their heads around them, and Factorio players are one of the more thinking types in my book.

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury

Return to “Off-Topic”