Mashinky

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Mashinky

Post by NekoMaster »

JanZeleny85 wrote:I was thinking about upgrading locomotives (bigger tender, better injector, faster sand pipe, stroker, etc) or as you mentioned retrofit some old one, but I would need to spend years studying it and it would also make the game more confusing. In Mashinky game, the player will have possibility to unlock new types of locomotives / wagons and the only way how to upgrade your train itself is to connect special wagons providing some bonus (dining car, crew car, sleeping car, second tender, etc). Plus there will be limited wagons / locomotives you can get from mini-quests.

Mods could add new types of locomotives / wagons as well as special locomotives / wagons for scripted miniquests.
For diesels I was thinking that you could do things like make the engine more durable by using heavier, better made steel parts and what not, or increasing displament on the engines to increase their power output.

It also may be nice if locomotives can be regeared or tuned to run at highier speeds to allow for fast freight or express passenger with some locomotives. I've always had a thing for passenger versions of heavy freight locomotives that bring the full power of a heavy duty locomotive and the speeds needed for commuter or express trains (128 Kph /80 MPH or more)

JanZeleny85 wrote:Hardware specs is something I am still working on since I have older GPU than you do :D (GT 430, i3 2x3Ghz, 8GB) and I don't want to buy any newer to force me optimize it as much a I can :D But I will see how far can I go..
Well I guess thats kinda good for us players, it might also be nice if people can mod the game to enhance its graphics but I think Mashinky already looks very good and the only kind of graphical stuff I can maybe see being used are lighting and shading stuff like SweetFX. Though I'm not really one for that kinda stuff (I only Use ENBSeries with Fallout 4 to remove stutter and allocate more (SHared) VIdeo Ram to the game)

Redirect Left wrote:
NekoMaster wrote: Also I hope the computer specs wont be too demanding, I only have a Phenom II x4 (3.4Ghz), 8GB of Ram and a GTX 570 Video card. Im finding a lot of new games are pushing my hardware or even not able to run on 2012-2013 vintage hardware.
I have the same, other than an i5 Intel 3,5ghz. I find everything I've thrown at my rig works so far, even gta v runs at a decent fps
Same here, I can get GTA 5 to work with medium settings with minimal slow downs. I don't think I'm pulling a constant 60 FPS but some games like GTA 5 seem to run and look well so long as their pulling more then 30-40 FPS

Also I can sorta get Fallout 4 to work but that involves using Lower resolution textures, turning off many settings, and tweaking the Fallout 4 INI files to turn down even more effects and give the game more memory and processing power.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

If it makes you feel any better, my quad core i7 with 24GB RAM and a liquid cooled 2GHz GPU still freezes up with Starcraft 2 on highest settings when the screen gets busy. And thats a 6 year old game...
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Leanden wrote:If it makes you feel any better, my quad core i7 with 24GB RAM and a liquid cooled 2GHz GPU still freezes up with Starcraft 2 on highest settings when the screen gets busy. And thats a 6 year old game...
And I hate you (jokingly), that is... if you worked hard to build that then I guess we're good, but if you got that as a gift I will murderlise you and take your computer!

If anything though, if a 6 year old game can't run at full speed on a modern powerful Gaming rig, then its probably not optimised enough for those high settings. Makes you wonder what the dev's where thinking when making that game and allowing its high settings. Though I find that some graphical settings can be turned down with little to no effect on perceived graphical quality. With many modern games I find that 4-8x Anti Aliasing and 16x Anistropy is good enough but thats just my opinion.

At least we can count on Mashinky being able to run on a low power system. Hell most laptops, intel/x86 tablets and low power computers should be able to run it if JanZeleny85's computer is only a Intel Dual Core i3 with a GT 430 and 8GB of ram. I mean how ancient is that GT 430? 2008? 2010? The GT 430 looks like the low end kinda card that you use for just media and light gaming.
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

NekoMaster wrote: If anything though, if a 6 year old game can't run at full speed on a modern powerful Gaming rig, then its probably not optimised enough for those high settings. Makes you wonder what the dev's where thinking when making that game and allowing its high settings
It could just be using something that isn't generally as optimized in modern hardware, as its not commonly used anymore. OpenTTD includes something (i forgot what, i think its a graphics render setting?) that when turned on can actually have a detrimental effect to your overall performance of a realllly old game. I think the reasoning is just that modern hardware doesn't really include or rather optimize for it, as its now really unused by modern stuff.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Redirect Left wrote:
NekoMaster wrote: If anything though, if a 6 year old game can't run at full speed on a modern powerful Gaming rig, then its probably not optimised enough for those high settings. Makes you wonder what the dev's where thinking when making that game and allowing its high settings
It could just be using something that isn't generally as optimized in modern hardware, as its not commonly used anymore. OpenTTD includes something (i forgot what, i think its a graphics render setting?) that when turned on can actually have a detrimental effect to your overall performance of a realllly old game. I think the reasoning is just that modern hardware doesn't really include or rather optimize for it, as its now really unused by modern stuff.
Well not much has changed in 6 years (Since 2010) other then that there have been a few addons to instructions for video cards and Direct X 11 and Direct X 12. The most change has been in the power of processors and graphics cards, increased memory (for RAM and Video Ram) and people are going for higher and higher resoultions (like 2K and 4K)
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

I did build the computer myself :) When i bought it originally it had the i7, but only a 600W PSU which ive upgraded to a 1200W, it had an Nvidia GX220 which ive replaced, and i stripped out the 4GB of RAM it had and replaced it with Corsair blades :)

The motherboard, case and processor are the only stock items remaining in the PC :D
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Performance aside, it's always the unexpected things that are later annoying. Since I'm currently playing Train Fever:
- main town connections. Basically, there's a road connection between towns, and you aren't allowed to touch it, unless you build a bypass. That would actually not be much of an annoyance, expect that it doesn't quite work as advertised and is a real frustration once the roads get in the ways of train tracks or whatever.
- vehicle replacement. Always a chore, but so you run, like, 200 bus lines and a new RV type is out. Have fun replacing all 200 bus replacement setups. There's no "replace all" as far as I've seen.
- industry chains. Hypothetically it's an intuitive system: towns have certain demands. Production factories only produce as much as is demanded, and so, logically, raw industries do the same. But in the end it has some annoying consequences that aren't all that much fun.
etc.
- whoever designed the road vehicle cargo stations should be slapped. If I had to come up with a design that's more likely to jam I'd draw a blank

None of those are the sort of thing you'll see in a feature list. imo, it's usually the small thing that tend to annoy in a game ;)
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Any news on how this is evolving? :)
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
JanZeleny85
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JanZeleny85 »

Hi guys,

it is already one year from game announcement so I recently (last weekend) made another huge step: First public playtest.

I participated on biggest Czech republic game development conference GDS2016 with playable build of Mashinky. Our booth was quite overcrowded:D so I had no time to even eat something over the day but hey! I won the first prize for the best indie game in the indie showcase!! It is something I havn't expected, but it gives me huge motivation to finish early access version as soon as possible.

Who would be interested, I am going to have (hopefully) even better and more polished build of Mashinky on Casual Connect 2017 (Indie Prize) in Berlin ;) Looking forward to gather more critics, ideas, thoughts about this game...

NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

JanZeleny85 wrote:Hi guys,

it is already one year from game announcement so I recently (last weekend) made another huge step: First public playtest.

I participated on biggest Czech republic game development conference GDS2016 with playable build of Mashinky. Our booth was quite overcrowded:D so I had no time to even eat something over the day but hey! I won the first prize for the best indie game in the indie showcase!! It is something I havn't expected, but it gives me huge motivation to finish early access version as soon as possible.

Who would be interested, I am going to have (hopefully) even better and more polished build of Mashinky on Casual Connect 2017 (Indie Prize) in Berlin ;) Looking forward to gather more critics, ideas, thoughts about this game...

If your talking about testing, I would love to help out with that. I understand what that entails though, but I have more then enough time to test all kinds of things like gameplay, UI, settings, what ever needs to be tested.
:)
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Congratulations on the prize and have fun in Berlin :)

(important football chant to use: "Berlin, Berlin, wir fahren nach Berlin")
JanZeleny85
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JanZeleny85 »

:D thanks you guys!

I will write down that football chant just in case:)

About testing, I would love to spread the build already, but after two days of GDS conference, I have like 4 pages of notes, bug logs, and one main feature need redesign almost from scratch (track laying logic). I have to fix everything within a month so it will be another bunch of work nights :) At the beginning of next year, I will be closing to early access (probably gog / itchio / ? before steam).
Bad Hair Day
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bad Hair Day »

I've been following this project. It looks rather promising.
My OpenTTD screenshot thread.

Formerly known as Lankku / 2-10-0
Dave

Post by Dave »

Much impressed by the developments. Congrats on your award!
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

This is impressive looking, how did I miss all of this. Looking forward to seeing what this game'll progress into.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
JanZeleny85
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JanZeleny85 »

Mashinky #greenlight is on! Please vote :) Thank you guys. :bow: #mashinky @steam_games: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =821959155 Image
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

JanZeleny85 wrote:Mashinky #greenlight is on! Please vote :) Thank you guys. :bow: #mashinky @steam_games: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =821959155 Image
Voted and commented :)

I hope things go well for Mashinky as I really want to play it :)
uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator
Transport Empire Moderator

Post by uzurpator »

Voted :)

You Sir are succeeding where I have failed horribly. Tons of respect.
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Voted, hopefully we'll see it on Steam in the near future!
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Definitely voting for this. It looks brilliant.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)

Return to “Off-Topic”