UK EU membership referendum

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

Poll ended at 23 Jun 2016 19:36

Remain (and I can/will vote)
42%
Remain (but I can't vote)
32%
Leave (and I can/will vote)
16%
Leave (but I can't vote)
11%

Total votes: 38

Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: UK EU membership referendum

Post by Pyoro »

Naw, but it wasn't anywhere. The one thing people in power always hate is signing over power to someone else. It's a miracle the EU got as far as it did ^^

Ha ha.
So what did the poor Scots do to get him to visit? ^^;
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Pyoro wrote:So what did the poor Scots do to get him to visit? ^^;
He owns a Golf course there I think is what the poor Scots have done.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Well, this whole "UK : EU or not ?" dance has gone for decades then, based on that rebel thing I just discovered. The EEC was fine (bar Scotland), but the EU, not everyone can agree (bar, uh, Scotland). UKIP started as one of those rebels.

Also, Scotland sold Trump some golf courses back then to be renovated and reopened. Said "it doesn't went well" on the media.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Trump came in and built a golf course up here in Aberdeenshire a few years ago. The local council denied him permission to do so, the local people didn't want it, but he went to the Scottish Government and they overruled the council (yay, democracy). Since then he's got into a huff about planned offshore wind turbines near his course, and has been engaged in legal action against the Scottish Government regarding that!

He then went and bought another golf course (Turnberry) which is the one he was visiting today.
siu238X
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by siu238X »

Back in Hong Kong, when I talked to my dad on the age distribution picture, he denounced the younger "remain" voters to be "Arabs" (a.k.a. immigrants who earned British citizenship).
(Of course, Hong Kong is a different story by that most youngsters are anti-China, and my dad is one of the few elderly people who does so. IMHO he's simply reflecting the anti-China sentiment against the EU.)

Meanwhile, my old schoolmates living in London (who are of Chinese ancestry) support "Remain".
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

A lot of people on Twitter are speaking of regretting their leave vote, having now realised exactly what the consequences were. Seems a lot of people went "boo, immigrants!" and crossed that box.

On the bus this morning, a group of women who from the accent i'd guess at being from one of the Baltic states (Estonia/Latvia/Lithuania), they were visibly concerned by the vote, and and were talking of if they were "welcome" in the UK, given what the UK (-Scotland & N.Ireland) had just voted for. Honestly did feel sorry for them, they were really looking upset by it all.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

There was this funny graph ... err, here:
Shows google searches against time. Basically people voted and then googled what'd happen afterwards :lol:
(I mean obviously there's reasonable explanations for this but it gives a bit of a ... bad impression ^^)

And yeah, I doubt Brexit would've happened without the refugee crisis going on, and the economic crisis before. People don't go for change unless they're scared of something, generally.
siu238X
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by siu238X »

Redirect Left wrote:A lot of people on Twitter are speaking of regretting their leave vote, having now realised exactly what the consequences were. Seems a lot of people went "boo, immigrants!" and crossed that box.
This is interesting. I wanna see some.

To me, democracy means taking the responsibility of my vote. If I voted the wrong thing, I have no rights to complain when I suffer from it.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Firstly, not twitter: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06 ... hanges-he/
Secondly, a bit of twitter bashing a guy on BBC news for regretting thinking his leave vote wouldn't count, but also followed by twitter regrets: http://www.vox.com/2016/6/24/12024634/b ... egret-vote
Another mix: http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/24/people-ar ... s-5965067/
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Pyoro wrote:62:38 in Scotland. There some nice maps showing the results on BBC:
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36616028
Scotland shafted itself with a very low turnout unfortunately.
The rest of us shafted ourselves.

Still. The people, rightly or wrongly have spoken and we need to get on with it. As I've said a couple of times on Social Media today, what bothers me the most is that we are now going to spend ages negotiating to retain the status quo rather than focusing on stuff that needs focusing on - such as our crumbling public services.
siu238X
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by siu238X »

Ameecher wrote:
Pyoro wrote:62:38 in Scotland. There some nice maps showing the results on BBC:
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36616028
Scotland shafted itself with a very low turnout unfortunately.

Still. The people, rightly or wrongly have spoken and we need to get on with it. As I've said a couple of times on Social Media today, what bothers me the most is that we are now going to spend ages negotiating to retain the status quo rather than focusing on stuff that needs focusing on - such as our crumbling public services.
Maybe this is the conspiracy of whoever plotting to bring Great Britain down.
siu238X
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by siu238X »

Redirect Left wrote:Firstly, not twitter: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06 ... hanges-he/
Secondly, a bit of twitter bashing a guy on BBC news for regretting thinking his leave vote wouldn't count, but also followed by twitter regrets: http://www.vox.com/2016/6/24/12024634/b ... egret-vote
Another mix: http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/24/people-ar ... s-5965067/

All sources pointed their fingers at Nigel Farage, who "admitted" his mistake after the referendum.

For some reason, I had commented on places like the Guardian, that he and his supporters were behaving like the Chinese Communist Party and their arrogant supporters.

At least he had the conscience to admit it after he succeeded his conspiracy.

But I am slightly disappointed of the British making pretty much the same mistake (?) that the Chinese had made in 1949.

Once again, democracy means everyone not only have the rights to express, but also the responsibility to bear the circumstances.

Your future is always yours, and it's what you do next which matters.
Last edited by siu238X on 24 Jun 2016 18:47, edited 1 time in total.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

In my opinion, possibly an unpopular one.
This should never have gone to the public vote. It should have been kept between MPs and the experts. You can't expect the common public to vote on such a matter with the right intention and full understanding of the outcomes on a subject so complex as this.
siu238X
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by siu238X »

Redirect Left wrote:In my opinion, possibly an unpopular one.
This should never have gone to the public vote. It should have been kept between MPs and the experts. You can't expect the common public to vote on such a matter with the right intention and full understanding of the outcomes on a subject so complex as this.
Well, one of my relatives who's involved in the City also commented this.

Although I'd say the politicians are rather out of touch in recent years, especially the Labour ones.

Had Cameron not handed the matter to the people and let them see the inconvenient truth themselves, things could still go rather badly, and if that happens even less people would learn.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

I never quite understood the Cameron position there anyway. I've always known him as an EU critic ... then suddenly when the vote came up he becomes the advocate? And then he's surprised that people actually voted out? Really weird strategy.
Ameecher wrote:Scotland shafted itself with a very low turnout unfortunately.
But that's sort of what (some) Scots don't like about the whole UK thing in the first place, isn't it? 1.3 Million votes would be needed for a different outcome, 2,679,513 Scots voted, 3,987,112 were eligible. So basically if from the non-voters 100% had voted remain it might've very narrowly been enough to change something - but, realistically, if England wanted out, there wasn't much chance of Scotland turning it around.

Kinda ironic, I mean, it's a similar issue as some people have with the EU. ^^
Translink
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Translink »

I have to say, I'm very surprised. I thought remain would just edge it,but apparently not.

And by the way, whoever said Ireland will have an exit vote, the Union will sooner fall apart than NI will leave.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Why in the hell would you regret your vote :mrgreen: what are you suggesting, being ashamed of self ? Or wasn't qualified to vote ?

Cameron... Eh. He's weird. Should've looked into history better on the subject of this EU thing. NEVER rely on things being edged - one side will "break through", sure ! Specifically with what UK adopts for general voting. (i mean, unless you specified there should be, say, 2 : 1 consensus, a divided nation will just be divided.)

Will UK broke ? Dunno. If it does then that's it. Scotland (least, scottish parties) never liked it anyway. Pound dropping is just the usual "media effect" - whatever the media says can happen, and certainly will happen.

Aww, let's stop talking the politics and start making some progress ! Get a new gov't with proper views on this, not one that weeps just because things went out of control !
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
EXTspotter
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by EXTspotter »

I'd be interested in finding out the demographics of voters for remain and leave.

Within a small group of people (n = 20) who told me how they voted

People who had undertaken at least a bachelors degree in the group all voted remain

People with low educational attainment (GCSE or less) in the group all voted leave

Of those between; higher attainment increased probability of remain

Likelihood of voting to leave increased with age

I'd be interested to see if some of these patterns were seen throughout the electorate...
Translink
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Translink »

Never have I seen sadder losers than the Remain side. You lost, dry your eyes and deal with it. No one will be changing the rules in the favour of your side just because you can't accept defeat.

And all this chap about "old people will only have x years to live" well tell you what, it's only thanks to those old people that we were fighting for independence from the EU, not Nazi Germany. Not to mention, that old people have lived through the EU from joining it and have seen the demise of the country's industry ever since.

[quote=siu238x]
All sources pointed their fingers at Nigel Farage, who "admitted" his mistake after the referendum.
[/quote]
That there was a blow of utter desperation. An attack from the Lowest Common Denominator.
"We have a £10b a year, £34 million a week featherbed - that will be free money that we can spend on the NHS, on schools, on whatever it is," Farage said.
In other words,not all the money will be spent on the NHS, some of it will be spent on Schools and whatever else it needs spending on.
Last edited by Translink on 25 Jun 2016 09:22, edited 1 time in total.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

EXTspotter wrote:People who had undertaken at least a bachelors degree in the group all voted remain

People with low educational attainment (GCSE or less) in the group all voted leave
This trend is mimicked in people voting for nationalist parties. In Sweden, the "Sweden Democrats" (our Eurosceptic right-wing nationalists) enjoy the greatest support in small towns with low education. They also have support in the suburbs of larger cities, from people with low education. I am sure UKIP enjoys a similar backing.

Put simply, Brexit supports are probably more likely to vote UKIP and might also be likely to have a lower level of education. I know this is true for Sweden, I am only assuming it is true for the UK.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)

Return to “Off-Topic”