Future Bus ?

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Future Bus ?

Post by Leanden »

kamnet wrote:i'm still trying to visualize how to pull this off in OpenTTD. :)
I was just thinking this today but two problems i can see.

Graphical glitches with vehicles passing the other way and not being able to drive underneath.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

LondonCentralB7TL wrote:Now how many fools will try to turn their car when the bus comes?
You only need to see the number of people who turn left across a bus lane currently in the UK without looking to get an idea.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Leanden wrote:
I was just thinking this today but two problems i can see. Graphical glitches with vehicles passing the other way and not being able to drive underneath.
I'm thinking invisible bridge to straddle road, vehicle with extra-long sprites, and stations that can only be built on hills that will completely mask them as a station building of some sort.

That just might be more ridiculous looking than the visual hacks for the Transrapid tracks, though. ;)
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

That thing doesn't look as if trucks could drive underneath, and OTTD mainly has those driving around, so why not just do it as a tram? ^^; , Although, if it's slow and not articulated, but overlaps over both lanes, trucks could "overtake" it underneath, I guess.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Pyoro wrote:That thing doesn't look as if trucks could drive underneath, and OTTD mainly has those driving around, so why not just do it as a tram? ^^; , Although, if it's slow and not articulated, but overlaps over both lanes, trucks could "overtake" it underneath, I guess.
Trucks are usually no more than 4.4m high, and the clearance of the TAB is 4.8m. So just barely tall enough.
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

Looking at this, there's no way the clearance under the cab is much more than 2m. I think 4.8m is total height of this vehicle.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

OK, yes then I clearly misunderstood. In that case I will say that it's likely that either this runs in areas where semi trucks are barred, or truck will be driving in a different designated lane.
prppedro
Engineer
Engineer

Post by prppedro »

Leanden wrote:
I was just thinking this today but two problems i can see.

Graphical glitches with vehicles passing the other way and not being able to drive underneath.
It's gonna be the most realistic glitches ever seen in OpenTTD. :D

Oh, I'm arriving late to the monorail thing, but... NO, HELL NO. It's more a Disneyland-kind-of-transport. Nothing that wouldn't fit to one of those European cities with, like, 50k hab. However, the head of my state government and it's secretariat liked so much the monorail idea, so they just went on planting pylons around on a metropolis with 12 million people, whereas a monorail won't transport much more people than a BRT done right (and costing less). Also, it won't fit the city skyline very well...

Ameecher wrote:My biggest issue with this is that it claims to solve congestion but actively encouraging car use by freeing the road up underneath. Make the car unattractive and then there will be room for buses or light rail on the ground.
It seems like a reasonable idea. But our mayor, while operating mainly with this idea in mind, is clearly going to lose the next election. Why?
Because the part of "making the car unattractive" is somewhat that lies perfectly in the middle of the line between fascist and non-fascist actions. Our population got carpet bombed by "get a car" way of life, while the city always had a deficient bus service. Now it seems like a vicious circle in which you can't just improve bus service because surface public transport got locked by excessive traffic, and people in cars won't left them for buses -- being stuck in traffic may be pretty stressing, still you have your own air conditioning, your own music...

But mayor Haddad thinks he can break it. So he went on seeding bus and bicycle lanes, as well as "radars", just everywhere. There were more anti-car actions than actual transport improvement actions. While things seems to be a little better, nobody really switched from car to bus. And, well, it's hard to do any change to the SP bus system due to the fact that it's very traditional and people are used to ways that bring them from their neighborhoods straight to the downtown without any integration. Guess what? Haddad tried to change this, as well, and got raged by bus users.

He wasn't intelligent enough to find a gradual way. He just caused some hassle to people used to cars for so long in a city in which most of it's mayors built great infrastructures looking after the individual transport model (AKA the American model).

8o

I've written a lot... But, well, that's a very strange bus and it'll be funny to see how much morons forgetting about the rails will take for the idea to be scrapped. Here in SP, in a time when there were WELL lot less vehicles, people couldn't even stand sharing streets with light rail vehicles. There were a rail, people knew that trains tends to take a bit more room to stop and knew that they were pretty frequent. Still, people always crossed tram paths...
Penny Lane is in my ears and in my eyes...

Although there's nothing done, I have some projects:
São Paulo TrainSet (+Subway) | Brazil Cargo TrainSet (1% done)

Projects in hiatus. Working in something else.
http://users.tt-forums.net/prppedro (Under construction)
I know that my English is a rubbish, sorry for that. If you find any error, please report me.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/china-elevated-bus-scam

So it was apparently all a scam. Tsk. :(
Doorslammer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Doorslammer »

Pyoro wrote:http://www.wired.co.uk/article/china-elevated-bus-scam

They're a bit late reporting that, surely... :?
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Pyoro wrote:http://www.wired.co.uk/article/china-elevated-bus-scam

It might not have been, but once realizing the near-imposibility for drivers to reliably navigates around it, people just left it off and then the fraud "occurs". I could only imagine this truly running on a very long stretch of straight road, maybe like the long elevtated ones we're making here as traffic reliefs, but may as well you make elevated rails for that !

Go home Staggering "Bus", you're drunk and peniless !
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Doorslammer wrote:They're a bit late reporting that, surely... :?
Takes a while for the post rider to arrive from China :?
Doorslammer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Doorslammer »

Pyoro wrote:
Doorslammer wrote:They're a bit late reporting that, surely... :?
Takes a while for the post rider to arrive from China :?
A genuine one, yeah
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

You know how it is. They just don't bake horses like they used. And then all those incompatible horse trials between Western Europe and Russia, and those odd safety regulations that require them to change stirrups once every week. It's such a hassle, slowing everything down. No wonder people move on to carrier pigeons.

Return to “Off-Topic”