Factorio - Sci-fi factory building, management and combat

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Factorio - Sci-fi factory building, management and combat

Post by Drury »

Factorio is a game in which you build and maintain factories.

You will be mining resources, researching technologies, building infrastructure, automating production and fighting enemies. Use your imagination to design your factory, combine simple elements into ingenious structures, apply management skills to keep it working and finally show your combat skills in encounters with creatures who don't really like you.
Drury wrote:Then you build a car and commence carmageddon

http://www.factorio.com/

I haven't bought the game yet due to my wallet still recovering from Titanfall, but it caught my attention and I thought I might let you guys know as well. If you have any experience with various industrial mods for Minecraft, this is pretty much it, except more fleshed out. If you don't, well, it's a bit like SimCity, except you're not ancient astronaut giving people orders where to build stuff, you're rather a small guy with big muscles building the stuff himself. And, much like in Minecraft, sun sets every now and then, sending off insane gentlemen at you that can only be reasoned with with a powerful firearm. And if that don't work, use more gun. The graphics are a wild blend of developer placeholders and old-school Fallout-esque isometric artstyle.

Oh, and the trains. Seems promising, from what I gather tracks work much like Locomotion - a combination straight and curved pieces - and there's basic TT-esque system with fixed train length, platforms and signals. So this aspect does not seem underdeveloped. Trains are used to transport various products over large distances, in case you have set up multiple factories. They are fully automated, much like trains in TT, and pretty much everything else in the game - although they can also be driven manually, like in LoMo.

http://assets-factorio-com.s3.amazonaws ... shot-7.jpg

So far the game is in early Alpha, the devs managed to squeeze 21K$ out of indiegogo, now we wait and see what happens. Coop multiplayer is what we're looking forward to next.
Last edited by Drury on 22 Apr 2015 16:51, edited 2 times in total.

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Factorio - Sci-fi factory builder (TRAINS INCLUDED)

Post by Drury »

And the proper trailer is out.

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Factorio - Sci-fi factory building, management and comba

Post by Transportman »

Interesting game, just played the demo, but also a bit complicated.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
trainman1432
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainman1432 »

Basic setup
1399214891057.jpg
(4.4 MiB) Downloaded 14 times
Wouldn'tcha think?
Jetrain
YATTC
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Yeah I guess that is the definition of basic setup.

A bit too basic to comment, there's not really a way to screw up at this stage. It'll be more interesting to comment once you start producing red science.

Brotip: You can make screenshots by hitting printscreen and pasting it into MSPaint or running the game via Steam and hitting F12. You don't have to take photos of your screen really.

-Drury
beeurd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by beeurd »

Just played the demo of this and it wasn't enough... I want,MOAR!

It's complicated to get the hang of but addictive once you do. Will hopefully pick up the full game soon!
Long time TT addict, long time forum lurker.
Oh, and I run a Star Wars fan site.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

For people that want to buy this game, the price goes up on the first of June (in about 99 hours). The price for the cheapest version will go up by 50%.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
trainman1432
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainman1432 »

Drury wrote:Yeah I guess that is the definition of basic setup.

A bit too basic to comment, there's not really a way to screw up at this stage. It'll be more interesting to comment once you start producing red science.

Brotip: You can make screenshots by hitting printscreen and pasting it into MSPaint or running the game via Steam and hitting F12. You don't have to take photos of your screen really.
Drury, that was when my computer was not working properly, and it wouldn't go on the internet. so i took out my phone and uploaded it from my iPhone.
Jetrain
YATTC
Robbedem
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Robbedem »

Bought the game yesterday (before price went up) and I really like it. :)
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Robbedem wrote:Bought the game yesterday (before price went up) and I really like it. :)
For the amount of time I have already put in, I really enjoyed it so far. It still has some rough edges that aren't completely polished out (campaign that is suddenly over for example), but still it is a great game.
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

A lot of new stuff

0.11 is scheduled for October 31. It will bring multiplayer, lots of graphical and performance improvements, tanks and gates.

-Drury
trainman1432
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainman1432 »

Oh, and, there is a factorio forum as well. Signed up for it already :D

I see Drury has a openttd icon ;)
Jetrain
YATTC
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

This is sorta relevant.

http://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-81

Basically they're implementing a type of pre-signal/PBS hybrid where if a train actually doesn't want to follow the one green exit that leads to eternal damnation, it just stops there till it's designated exit becomes clear. With Factorio's supersmall grid, this means you can essentially separate your junction into a lot of blocks and kind of hack in your PBS-type behavior.

-Drury
Dave

Post by Dave »

Played the demo. It's really interesting and keeps you involved. Some of the concepts are a bit difficult to get your head round but once you're into the swing of it there's no problem.

Big fan. The alpha is £14 for me. Thinking about it...!
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

I've owned it a long while and played a few games but I think my imagination is broke; I watched a few Youtubers play it and they all end up with grandiose schemes that look amazing, when I have a few disparate factories connected by a train just because I really wanted a train.

It's a shame the iron/copper deposits don't last so long - it almost makes laying tracks a pointless exercise, because you have to tear em up and lay them in another direction.
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Try setting ores so they're far apart and there's a lot of it in deposits. I play that way and it's awesome.

-Drury
Dave

Post by Dave »

Purchased. Bye life.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

You all post rave reviews of this, such as "Bye life". I might even have to join in. I like the factory and management side of this, not so much the alien invasion idea.

It reminds me of an old web based game called Motherload. Brilliant game, that.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

The alien invasion part is rather simplistic, much to my friend's dismay. We play coop every now and then and he just can't wait for me to research weapons for him to try on the pests, I don't even need automated defenses with him around. When I play on my own though I usually just erect walls all around my factory with turrets around the entrances and that's that. You can even disable alien attacks altogether.

They plan on making combat more interesting in the future but I don't see it getting too prominent. The main focus is the factories and of the two core devs, one isn't too fond of combat either, the community is split on it too. PvP mods are very popular, though, surprisingly enough.

Motherload brings me back, somehow never made the connection with Factorio though. I'm more reminded of Command and Conquer games (ore fields of Red Alert and post-apoc visuals of Tiberian Sun specifically) and Fallout (industrialist/rusted tech, pre-rendered graphics and power armor). Factorio overall feels like such a blast from the past with the 2D isometric style.

-Drury
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Chrill wrote:You all post rave reviews of this, such as "Bye life". I might even have to join in. I like the factory and management side of this, not so much the alien invasion idea.
You can disable alien attacks, and there are mods to get the alien artifacts you need for some things without having to fight aliens for it.

Return to “Off-Topic”