Transport Fever

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

PhiliThunder
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Transport Fever

Post by PhiliThunder »

Here we can see that world size is not a problem. :)

Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

I honestly haven't been this keen on a new game in ages. I'm sure there'll be some trouble at release, some bugs or unsatisfying solutions or something, but I can barely wait ^^;
PhiliThunder
Engineer
Engineer

Post by PhiliThunder »

Pyoro wrote:I honestly haven't been this keen on a new game in ages. I'm sure there'll be some trouble at release, some bugs or unsatisfying solutions or something, but I can barely wait ^^;
Same. I also think that, but i will preorder it anyways. I have watched a lot of gameplay and i have seen a few small things i don't think is perfect. And also obviously the big thing (for me) which is that there is no kind of real competition.
I think they can fix these things later though. A nice multiplayer system would be great.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Don't buy the game hoping for multiplayer or AI support. In 98% of all cases it just won't happen, or if it does, it won't work properly. Just a bit of friendly advise ;)

Maybe with Transport Fever 2, if they ever do that. ^^
PhiliThunder
Engineer
Engineer

Post by PhiliThunder »

Pyoro wrote:Don't buy the game hoping for multiplayer or AI support. In 98% of all cases it just won't happen, or if it does, it won't work properly. Just a bit of friendly advise ;)

Maybe with Transport Fever 2, if they ever do that. ^^
I know, wasn't saying i was buying the game because of hopes for that, i just wanted it to be a thing. I will play it a lot anyways :wink:
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

It'd be nice if they allowed for scripting AI's like how OpenTTD does with AI now, this way the Dev's only need to set up a frame work and people can go from there.

Honestly though I don't much care for the Multiplayer or AI stuff myself because I typically prefer to play by myself (AI in most Transport Sim's tends to be rather weird anyways, the AI in OpenTTD and Locomotion build screwy networks and the map becomes a huge mess)

I can't wait to get my hands on this game, and if I get this job I'm going for an interview next Tuesday (Nov 8 ) for, then I can buy the game as soon as I get my first paycheck :) (Also I relise that the games release and my interview are on the same day)
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
PhiliThunder
Engineer
Engineer

Post by PhiliThunder »

Well I have preordered it now, just waiting for release.

I am sure I will play it a lot no matter what, also I will make sure to report anything bad or good here soon ;)
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

This game will unlock in approximately 12 hours
I'll go to bed early tonight :lol:

Funnily enough they already have the workshop unlocked, probably because of the beta. They already some very nice trains and buses on it. Hopefully they'll continue with that sort of stuff after release ^^;
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

and game is out

judging from Steam comments, it's bit buggy right now but got positive reviews
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

I managed to get Transport Fever this morning and played some of the Tutorial but I'm already noticing some lag in game especially around towns. Plus the loading times can sometimes look like the game has stopped working or froze.

My computer isn't the best computer around, it wasn't even the best computer when I built it back in 2013, but it should be more then enough to play Transport Fever but I get a lot of lag and stutter while in game especially in towns.

CPU : AMD Phenom II x4 (3.4GHz Quad Core)
RAM : 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz
GPU : Gigabyte GTX 570 Super Overclocked (845 MHz Core, 1280MB GDDR5 VRAM)

I noticed that Transport Fever only uses one core in the task manager, so that could explain some of the performance issue there. Its also possible that on High settings that Very High Textures may be a bit too much for my video cards measly 1280MB of Video memory.

Since the game just came out, I hope they can improve performance overtime.
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

That's not going to happen. No optimization can magically squeeze in a larger amount of textures into a lacking VRAM; it's like hoping that a bucket will suddenly hold more water. ^^;

Either way, game runs perfectly fine on my (not all that old) PC on maximum settings; and some of the Steam comments are utterly ridiculous - game sucks because you can't build houses? Maybe should've bothered figuring out what kind of game this is before buying it? ^^;;;

Anyway, played the first European and first American mission. Pretty nice, and it's actually surprisingly challenging to get all medals. Just completing the missions seems easy, but if you want to do all the bonus stuff it seems decently challenging.

Can't really say much else yet. The major Train Fever problems obviously only appeared later in saves, so short campaign missions are probably not best to judge the new features. However, it's already very obvious that track laying has been improved; works much better now, much more flexible. Everything else seems to be more or less the same so far (I mean, stuff like upgrading stations just hasn't come up yet ^^).
PhiliThunder
Engineer
Engineer

Post by PhiliThunder »

Okay so i have played this game for a good while now and i have got some stuff to say..

First off i would also like to mention some performance issues. Nothing major for me now with texture quality on high not very high. Getting good framerates most of the time. However sometimes there are frame drops and especially the first loading times are really bad. Even with my new "low-end-high-end" gaming laptop.

CPU: Intel Core I7 6700HQ
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 960m
Memory: 8GB DDR3
(SSD installing and RAM doubling soon will see what that does)

I also had some graphical problems in Europe on max texture quality. Not sure why, but some of the grass looked weird and dark. Pretty sure it was not supposed to be like that.
And i can't seem to get it it to run in full HD properly (Can't see the whole screen) so not sure what is up about that. Still looks good though.

I also had to manually get it to run with the dedicated graphics card because it did not in the beginning.

Other than this i am loving the game both in freeplay and the campaign scenario stuff.
The building system is really nice when you get used to the little weird things it sometimes does.

I think there is some improvement that can be done with optimization as my system should be able to run this a bit better than it does.

If the game only uses one core of the computer that is really weird and would definetely explain some things...
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

I think in towns and cities the lag comes from so many things happening at once, if you look theres a lot of people and particles moving, especially the smoke effects.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

If Cities: Skylines can manage busy cities, then so should this. It seems performance is still a major issue. It's a shame they create this type of game and then limit it to rather advanced computers. This should run fine on a 5-year old computer but it seems not to.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Chrill wrote:If Cities: Skylines can manage busy cities, then so should this. It seems performance is still a major issue. It's a shame they create this type of game and then limit it to rather advanced computers. This should run fine on a 5-year old computer but it seems not to.
Like I mentioned before it seems to be limited to a single core, I know its hard to code a game for multiple cores/threads, but in this day and age its not like CPU's have a single very powerful core performance but spread it out across the cores.

It probably doesnt help that many people I'm seeing with performance issues like me are using AMD, which clock for clock has less performance then Intels rated at the same clock speed.

OH well for now I'm just going to go back to playing OpenTTD, I generated a nice map on the Central and West USA map :)
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Are you guys sure about the single core thing? It doesn't look like that to me. ^^;

Either way, I so far had one major bug; namely the game crashed when clicking on the warning thing after upgrading a road connection, and one thing I'm not completely happy with, namely routes that go A->B->A->C. Those don't work all that well, unfortunately. Not a big thing, but, you know, would be nice if they did.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Pyoro wrote:Are you guys sure about the single core thing? It doesn't look like that to me. ^^;

Either way, I so far had one major bug; namely the game crashed when clicking on the warning thing after upgrading a road connection, and one thing I'm not completely happy with, namely routes that go A->B->A->C. Those don't work all that well, unfortunately. Not a big thing, but, you know, would be nice if they did.
While I was playing and noticed it lagging horribly in towns, I checked the Task Manager in Windows and it showed only 25% CPU utilization and never increased passed that, and when I checked the performance tab, CPU 0 (Core 1) was Under 100% Load but the others where mostly idling.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

NekoMaster wrote:While I was playing and noticed it lagging horribly in towns, I checked the Task Manager in Windows and it showed only 25% CPU utilization and never increased passed that, and when I checked the performance tab, CPU 0 (Core 1) was Under 100% Load but the others where mostly idling.
Q: Ist das Spiel für Late-Game Performance optimiert?
A: Ja! Mehrere neue Algorithmen optimieren die nötige Anzahl von Berechnungen. Zusätzlich sorgt Multi-Core-Unterstützung für ein gutes Spielerlebnis, selbst bei grossen Szenen
(sorry, it's the official German FAQ). Basically it says "multi-core-support". And some new algorithms for better late game performance.

I checked on my own PC and frankly it's too hard to tell on an i5 how precisely the game uses multiple cores. It does seem to me that one core is used more than the others (might be that it calculates something exclusively on a single core), but the others usage definitely increases while playing, too.

Not all that much though; maybe on larger maps or later in the game or so, but it's frankly only at around 30% or something for me, so hard to tell yet. ^^;
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Pyoro wrote:Are you guys sure about the single core thing? It doesn't look like that to me. ^^;

Can you explain a bit more on that? Because that would just be a single line B-C with a stop in A both directions, which sounds really bad if it is not working that well.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Well, let's say you have a coal mine, and two steel mills or something, right? So you can obviously build separate Coal Line 1 and Coal Line 2, going from the mine to each steel mill, and send trains back and forth, and that works perfectly fine.
But in the campaign you sometimes get missions that call for equal distribution of goods and such, and say those Lines have different lengths, so it'd be really difficult to somehow calculate exactly how many trains and cars each line should get so they're roughly running with equal amounts of cargo. So the easiest way to still balance the load is obviously to have each train go from the mine to one steel mill, then back to the mine, pick up coal again, then back to the steel mill.

But like on OpenTTD with CargoDist, waiting cargo gets a associated to a final line, so in the first case it'll split in Line 1 and Line 2. If you use just one line though, back and forth, it'll all get associated with Coal Line, yet not necessarily picked up as presumably it's for the wrong destination.

In a practical example in the game with wood and three destinations it ultimately worked once I got enough vehicles on it but for some reason - frequency calculations or whatever - it took ages until it was properly started up. It doesn't seem to be a problem with the classical passenger line setup of, say, A->B->C->B->A or anything, just with cargo like that.

It might be because the game considers the whole line as one long trip, so basically if you have 3 destinations at 3x or more the "length", instead of "getting" that the cargo actually each time is only transported for 1/3 of the way.

So, bluntly put: it generally works, but not as smoothly as smoothly as simpler lines, so instead if doing one line with three destinations and three times the vehicles it seems better to do three separate lines.

It's a bit like the "full load" order. It's still there, but frankly, I wouldn't recommend using it. All it does it is decrease frequency which means even less cargo which might mean no cargo at all which means something that otherwise should be working stops working. ^^

€: I wonder whether they allowed middle-engine-consists deliberately?
errr.png
errr.png (404.75 KiB) Viewed 9141 times

Return to “Off-Topic”