Transport Fever

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Transport Fever

Post by Pyoro »

A ton of streams and such are out now. I have to say, after my initial enthusiasm for it, it kinda fizzled out quickly once I got to look at people actually playing it. Yes, there's a bunch of nice little details - like vehicles displaying their line names, or stations, or being able to freeze the date, yet keeping the simulation running and so on - but there's just no big, interesting feature. The biggest one is emissions and that doesn't seem to be included in a too complex way (for example greenery doesn't do anything for it and you can't build any sort of walls or anything. Putting stuff underground works but that's apparently it).

Performance seems to be a bit meh judging by the various streams too, which is particularly worrisome since right now you mostly get to see early game stuff for obvious reasons. At lot of the small niggles from TF1 are still around; whether it's funky level crossings or weird catenary configurations or certain switches being difficult to build ...

I think for me this really needed an "this is the genius thing why you definitely should want TF2" feature. It feels way more like a TF1 + Emission and Streets DLC. Or a TF1.5.
SD40-2
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SD40-2 »

Admittedly, I'm still quite excited about Transport Fever 2. I have only seen one "Let's Play" of it, because I want to experience it myself.

When looking at the screenshots, there's a certain feeling of awe to them I haven't felt from a transport simulator before. The world feels vast and deep, and very real to me. Much of it feels very grand to me. Cities are big, highway networks are big, everything is bigger. All of it finally seems to be realistically sized.

I still feel it's the modern incarnation of a transport sim people wished they wanted.

Sorry about that rambling which may be slightly nonsensical there there, but yeah. I'm excited. That is all.
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

Well to be honest I'm sort of in the middle. Whilst being very excited still for TF2 it does look and feel as a Transport Fever+. The cliffs, graphic improvements and changes to cargo handling are nice, but on the other hand I have quite literally a couple thousand mods installed in TF1 which makes this a step back, in a way. But it's kind of cumulative, if they fix the smaller things you'd notice in 1 it'll be enough to justify the sequel to me. For this alone it'll be a day 1 play for me.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

lobster wrote: 11 Dec 2019 13:30But it's kind of cumulative, if they fix the smaller things you'd notice in 1 it'll be enough to justify the sequel to me. For this alone it'll be a day 1 play for me.
That's my issue; kinda. They didn't. Or at least it doesn't feel that way to me. Sure, one or two things, but there's so many stuff about track laying and vehicle management and so on that could have done with a little fine tuning and additional possibilities - just little stuff, nothing immense - and they essentially did none of it.

All the changes feel rather superficial, and some really weird (like how you can't easily move parts of a consist around anymore). So not only is there not any sort of big new feature, there's also not a huge list of small but notable fixes. We do of course get some; like more options for street traffic (but then apparently that has some issues as well), and other changes I can't really judge, like the restriction to two goods to a city - but then, if you implement that sort of thing, why not make it dynamic over the game's period, so that it increases over time? Or with city size? Or something to make it interesting.

I think it'll be a nice game for doing virtual model railways, but I'm skeptical about it's gameplay value.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

So far.. not overly impressed.
It does just seem like TF1 with a few patches and updates. Graphics are good of course, some of the features like the station building are pretty neat (though expected more parts to it).
Past that... It just seems pretty much the same thing rather than a 'new game' and feels like there was a lot of potential unexplored.

But with the modding community as strong as it it, I'm sure we'll see some great additions in time.
More BR stuff! :P

Edit:
Aslo, how intensive is this game on RAM?! I've got 16GB and suffered 6 warning messages and 3 crashes due to low memory so far. GTA5 with youtube in the background doesn't even reach that close.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Geo Ghost wrote: 14 Dec 2019 12:18 So far.. not overly impressed.
It does just seem like TF1 with a few patches and updates. Graphics are good of course, some of the features like the station building are pretty neat (though expected more parts to it).
Past that... It just seems pretty much the same thing rather than a 'new game' and feels like there was a lot of potential unexplored.

But with the modding community as strong as it it, I'm sure we'll see some great additions in time.
More BR stuff! :P

Edit:
Aslo, how intensive is this game on RAM?! I've got 16GB and suffered 6 warning messages and 3 crashes due to low memory so far. GTA5 with youtube in the background doesn't even reach that close.
The game runs upwards of 20GB when loading Megalomaniac sized map's. Thankfully I made the decision to spluge on RAM when I built my new PC so I have 64GB of DDR4 RAM so I wont be running into any memory issues anytime soon under normal gaming.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

NekoMaster wrote: 26 Dec 2019 20:23 The game runs upwards of 20GB when loading Megalomaniac sized map's. Thankfully I made the decision to spluge on RAM when I built my new PC so I have 64GB of DDR4 RAM so I wont be running into any memory issues anytime soon under normal gaming.
Bloody hell. I really want to know why it's so RAM intensive. That's unbelievable.

I've had two complete computer crashes caused by low memory and the game now. First time I've had to use the cold-restart button on the PC in about 6 years!
Did take some screenshots, but not sure where they've saved to :mrgreen: Aurgh this game!

I am enjoying it though, more so with mods! Hoping many of the BR mods get ported over.

Return to “Off-Topic”