Transport Fever

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Transport Fever

Post by lobster »

Screenshots like these do make me realise how pretty this game is. Even moreso than in Train Fever there's usually some building and simply watching scenes unfold and following trains after that.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
Killer 11
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Killer 11 »

Yeah this game does look pretty damn good.

The two best mods so far are time slow down(using 4x slower time progression version) and the higher river banks mod(adds some nice terrain around rivers)

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Pyoro wrote:Started a new game where all towns get a combined passenger/cargo station, basically, which is then used as a hub for everything around it. Works really well. And I like how it looks ;)
Can you make bigger stations than only 5 tracks? That was something I had a problem with in one of my games with Train Fever, there was a central station that was serving multiple lines, and 5 tracks did not entirely cut it (and joining stations did not work as the joined station got almost no passengers as it was not connected towards the town center, but had a road around...).

Also, is the route system the same as with Train Fever and updates its routes regularly to bidirectional single track when something is changed? That was the main reason I quit playing Train Fever, every time I changed something at a station or even a bus route connected to that station it would make a huge mess of the train routes.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

8 tracks are possible now. It's not possible to join stations anymore for some reason (maybe it didn't work properly? ^^).

About the lines, yeah, they're still recalculated. Of course, you can "fix them in place" by just using signals as waypoints. dunno if they are calculated different than in TF; so far I can't say I have any complaints, but I didn't have them in TF either ;)
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Pyoro wrote:8 tracks are possible now. It's not possible to join stations anymore for some reason (maybe it didn't work properly? ^^).

About the lines, yeah, they're still recalculated. Of course, you can "fix them in place" by just using signals as waypoints. dunno if they are calculated different than in TF; so far I can't say I have any complaints, but I didn't have them in TF either ;)
You don't need to join stations anymore, because one, you can upgrade a train station to have 2 roads on each side PLUS any passenger stations within walking distance of each other will be used for transfers. I noticed this myself when setting up bus and train routes, people from the bus stop in front of my train station would either walk off to work or home, or walk to my train station from the bus to take the train. All this without joining stations

It would be kinda nice if they could have that kinda functionality in OpenTTD where people from nearby stops (like maybe a few tiles away) can walk to your stations and allow passengers from a competitor to transfer to your station (Maybe your competitor/AI is running a bus route in town and you end up taking the passengers away by train or plane)
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Train Fever already worked like that; you didn't need to join stations there either. But it was useful if for example you wanted to destroy a station and move it somewhere else - build the new one, join to the old one, delete the old one: no schedules disturbed.

I don't think it's a big deal it's gone, but on the other hand I wouldn't mind if for example I was able to join together a cargo and passenger station or a passenger station with its bus station. Just to look nicer ;)
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Pyoro wrote:Train Fever already worked like that; you didn't need to join stations there either. But it was useful if for example you wanted to destroy a station and move it somewhere else - build the new one, join to the old one, delete the old one: no schedules disturbed.

I don't think it's a big deal it's gone, but on the other hand I wouldn't mind if for example I was able to join together a cargo and passenger station or a passenger station with its bus station. Just to look nicer ;)
Well if anything, from what I've seen in real life, I'd love to keep the ability to join stations together so that you can make a big ol monster of a passenger station.

For example, here in Ontario, Canada, most train stations have their own bus loops so that people from like, Oshawa can take the local transit or GO Transit busses from the city to the Oshawa Train station and then transfer just a hundred meters to the trains, or like how some Airports in the world have Train, Subway, Bus, and Airport all on the same property, allowing for people to take the bus, train, or subway to the airport and back.

EDIT : That reminds me, one time while working in the South end of Oshawa, a bus I took to get to work would stop over at the Oshawa GO station... and one time the bus arrived a little late and the GO Train was already ringing its bells which ment it was getting ready to pull out... once my bus got to its stop in the bus loop at the station, and the doors opened, everyone just scrambled out of the bus and charged to the doors of the station to get their train. I hope those people got their train because by the time the bus pulled out 5 minutes later, the train started backing up in push-pull mode going west towards Toronto. To this day I call it the GO STATION SCRAMBLE.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

The game is better than Train Fever in terms of performance. But the economy... How can a slightly faster loco be twice the price ? And a wagon costs more than a single ship ? Doesn't make sense...
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Killer 11
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Killer 11 »

Pricing and running costs are weird as all hell but you can in fact input actual values into the config files for every vehicle so the game no longer does automatic balancing based on speed/power/tractive effort anymore, but use a value you gave it.

The actual economy itself has been massively improved though, Long freight trains traveling huge distances are now reliable and profitable as freight no longer behaves like passengers!
In my game I noticed some goods hopped 3 different rail lines I had completely unintentionally and set up and actual good service to a town I didn't yet build a dedicated line to, seeing that was really really cool(it also brought in a lot of new income as return trips for the trains went from empty to full of goods.)
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Yeah, the cargo-dist (and cargo-dest) features are good. Goods now look for the lines first, then the end industry, which is quite close to TTD/OTTD (service rate is the smallest effect AFAIK, although that'd be something to address). The jumps (transfer between close station in absence of station merging) are also good, although it puts a minimum on how close can you put two stations if you don't want any leaking of goods.

But the pricing really is awful.
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Train<In>Vain
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Train<In>Vain »

Well whattaya know, 20 years of experience finally paid off :lol:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =809178231
Rookie of the Year: 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I love how the achievement is called Transport Tycoon :mrgreen:
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
pinkie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pinkie »

All the time payed off finally aha
PhiliThunder
Engineer
Engineer

Post by PhiliThunder »

Train<In>Vain wrote:Well whattaya know, 20 years of experience finally paid off :lol:

Could you give me just a few tips about how to start a game in TF and how to get that industry production up? :o (I know the basics) Just need some tips to get over the mixed frustration of performance and difficulty problems :)
:oops:
Train<In>Vain
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Train<In>Vain »

PhiliThunder wrote:
Train<In>Vain wrote:Well whattaya know, 20 years of experience finally paid off :lol:

Could you give me just a few tips about how to start a game in TF and how to get that industry production up? :o (I know the basics) Just need some tips to get over the mixed frustration of performance and difficulty problems :)
I'd need to know your preferences to give any tips on starting a game. Type of map, Europe or USA or custom, start year, etc. You can choose any date in increments of 10 from 1850 to 1990, with starts after 1950 being the easiest.

The key to industry production is buyer demand. For example I struggled with a fuel refinery whose production was dropping even though I had over-capacity in my fuel tank trains and crude oil was being stored at the refinery. What I discovered was that the buyers, ie industry buildings near my train station in town, were shutting down and new industry buildings were popping up outside of my station's catchment area. So the amount of industry was constant as was demand for fuel, but it was gradually creeping away from my station! I had to carefully study the catchment area and the types of buildings/zones within it and compare with another fuel station in a different town.

I built a new cargo station closer to the industrial area and the refinery fuel production went way up. It's a subtle difference from Transport Tycoon, where production rate is determined by supplies of raw materials and will pile up products in your station regardless of buyer demand. It can be very frustrating because the game doesn't tell you "not enough buyers for finished product", it tells you "ship more product" which misleads one believe the problem is caused by inadequate transport.

If you've played Cities: Skylines, you'll be familiar with the zone types as they are the same in TF and they are very important because the visual difference between industrial and commercial buildings is not all that striking especially when not zoomed in and over time the commercial building may become mixed in with the industrial. You have to eyeball the zones where you put the stations and it's a lot of guesswork. Zones are also important to passengers: they like a blend of all 3 zone types within a catchment area.

Have fun and keep us posted!
Rookie of the Year: 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016
PhiliThunder
Engineer
Engineer

Post by PhiliThunder »

Train<In>Vain wrote:
PhiliThunder wrote:

I'd need to know your preferences to give any tips on starting a game. Type of map, Europe or USA or custom, start year, etc. You can choose any date in increments of 10 from 1850 to 1990, with starts after 1950 being the easiest.

The key to industry production is buyer demand. For example I struggled with a fuel refinery whose production was dropping even though I had over-capacity in my fuel tank trains and crude oil was being stored at the refinery. What I discovered was that the buyers, ie industry buildings near my train station in town, were shutting down and new industry buildings were popping up outside of my station's catchment area. So the amount of industry was constant as was demand for fuel, but it was gradually creeping away from my station! I had to carefully study the catchment area and the types of buildings/zones within it and compare with another fuel station in a different town.

I built a new cargo station closer to the industrial area and the refinery fuel production went way up. It's a subtle difference from Transport Tycoon, where production rate is determined by supplies of raw materials and will pile up products in your station regardless of buyer demand. It can be very frustrating because the game doesn't tell you "not enough buyers for finished product", it tells you "ship more product" which misleads one believe the problem is caused by inadequate transport.

If you've played Cities: Skylines, you'll be familiar with the zone types as they are the same in TF and they are very important because the visual difference between industrial and commercial buildings is not all that striking especially when not zoomed in and over time the commercial building may become mixed in with the industrial. You have to eyeball the zones where you put the stations and it's a lot of guesswork. Zones are also important to passengers: they like a blend of all 3 zone types within a catchment area.

Have fun and keep us posted!
Sorry for not seeing until now.. Thanks for some useful general tips, i am slowly figuring out a lot of stuff myself as well ;)
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

I noticed that the game does simulate aging - trains become rusty as they get older ! Nice !
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Train<In>Vain
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Train<In>Vain »

Looks, and sounds, very good!

MajorFordson
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MajorFordson »

Anyone who has passed on Transport Fever because they have heard or expected performance issues, there was a patch a month ago which has REALLY improved all round performance. My laptop used to struggle with the game on medium, since the patch I play on maxed out with only an occasional stutter.

I REALLY love this game, it's gorgeous to watch your vehicles trundle around.

That being said it frustrates me to tears, and I really hope they have more patches coming.

Their production chains require the whole chain to be set up, otherwise every industry in the chain stops producing, which is silly and annoying.

The terrain is pretty unforgiving, I had to build a railway down a mountainside. Eventually I built a dead-end zigzag railway which looked beautiful. I thought I could path trains using the waypoint signals on the "dead ends" but sadly the game refused to let this work.

Hoping it gets more love, as there's a whole lot of potential!

Also sadly there seems to be no UK steam railway mods yet!
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

I don't mind that full chains need to be set up, but occasionally I'm really sitting their scratching my head wondering why the heck they aren't profitable. Maybe I'm too complacent in the sense that I played a ton of those games and generally expect that I understand what's going on and should be more careful with this one, but, argh. Play a save with a style - works perfectly fine. Play the next safe, similar style, suddenly it doesn't. Confuses the heck out of me. dunno if they're going to change anything about this though ^^

Return to “Off-Topic”