Congratulations to Queen Elizabeth II!

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Congratulations to Queen Elizabeth II!

Post by Redirect Left »

Queen Elizabeth II, or to give her her full title, 'Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith', will as of the evening of Sept 9th, 2015 have reigned for longest of any past monarch of the United Kingdom. This is according to the official timekeeping of Buckingham Palace.
The current longest reign is Queen Victoria, who reigned over 400 million people for 23,226 days (63.5 years). Today, Elizabeth II is head of state for 111 million people across the commonwealth, not bad for an 89 year old.
When Elizabeth II was crowned, Winston Churchill was still Prime Minister, Stalin was still at the head of Russia and World War II had ended just 7 years ago.

Sources: Research by Martin Willis, Professor of English, Cardiff University & BBC News

I'm a large supporter of the royal family, and to me at least, this is fairly big news. It is amazing to think that the majority of the UK have never seen a day when there was no Queen, and that Queen has always been QEII. It will be a somber day when that changes, and from henceforth feel a little odd.

God Save the Queen, Rule Britannia!
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Dave

Re: Congratulations to Queen Elizabeth II!

Post by Dave »

God Save The Queen!

I'm ambivalent about the royal family - but I do like the goodwill factor of big events - and the occasional days off for things like royal weddings!
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

I can't say I understand this whole royalty thing, but anyone who read Matt Ruff's Sewer, Gas & Electric where Lizbeth guns down a bunch of Irish terrorists from her Rolls Royce (and generally does whatever the heck she wants) has to show some appreciation for her ... ;)
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Don't jinx it, several hours to go....

As a non-Brit, I can say the Queen does a great deal for you. She is the image of Britain for many people, and she is viewed in positive light by most (perhaps not by former colonies. I wouldn't know). Her longevity is great. I believe her mother surpassed 100 years of age?
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Chrill wrote:I believe her mother surpassed 100 years of age?
Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon (Commonly referred to as simply The Queen Mother) was 102 when she passed away in 2002. Here's hoping our QE2 can last as long as her mother did!

In other news, I am still disappointed our national anthem isn't Rule Britannia.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Nawdic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nawdic »

Where's The Queen when you need them!
Very much a retired regular poster..... If you can say that :mrgreen:
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Worry not, she will surely show tonight.
Redirect Left wrote:
Chrill wrote:I believe her mother surpassed 100 years of age?
Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon (Commonly referred to as simply The Queen Mother) was 102 when she passed away in 2002. Here's hoping our QE2 can last as long as her mother did!
That would see her remain Queen until 2028. That is a long time.
My Scenarios:
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

... and some moments later you'll sit there and look at the OpenTTD 3D forums and accidentally stumble upon your post and wonder where those 13 years have gone, as always... ;)
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Well, I have already been here 11 years. Another 13 doesn't sound too bad :mrgreen:
My Scenarios:
The Queen
Engineer
Engineer

Post by The Queen »

First Minister, Ladies and Gentlemen,

The Duke of Edinburgh and I are delighted to be back in the Borders today and, especially, to have arrived by train! It has been wonderful to witness the excitement which the return of the railway has brought here.

It has been wonderful to witness the excitement which the return of the railway has brought here.

The Borders railway brings so much promise for sharing and invigorating this most beautiful countryside as a place to work, live and enjoy.

Prince Philip and I are very grateful for the warmth of your welcome on this occasion.

Many, including you First Minister, have also kindly noted another significance attaching to today, although it is not one to which I have ever aspired.

Inevitably, a long life can pass by many milestones. My own is no exception. But I thank you all and the many others at home and overseas for your touching messages of great kindness.

So now to the business in hand. It is my very happy duty to declare the Borders Railway open.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Oh! Lizzie's in!
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

The Queen wrote:First Minister, Ladies and Gentlemen,

The Duke of Edinburgh and I are delighted to be back in the Borders today and, especially, to have arrived by train! It has been wonderful to witness the excitement which the return of the railway has brought here.

It has been wonderful to witness the excitement which the return of the railway has brought here.

The Borders railway brings so much promise for sharing and invigorating this most beautiful countryside as a place to work, live and enjoy.

Prince Philip and I are very grateful for the warmth of your welcome on this occasion.

Many, including you First Minister, have also kindly noted another significance attaching to today, although it is not one to which I have ever aspired.

Inevitably, a long life can pass by many milestones. My own is no exception. But I thank you all and the many others at home and overseas for your touching messages of great kindness.

So now to the business in hand. It is my very happy duty to declare the Borders Railway open.

Return to “Off-Topic”