The Grand Tour thread (PLUS Post-BBC Clarkson discussion)

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Jeremy Clarkson's BBC contract will not be renewed

Post by Redirect Left »

Honestly would not be surprised if Evans was fired and LeBlanc made main host after what I just saw on iPlayer and media reactions.

Evans twitter is amusing, he's defending the show so much its like he knows it fallen a bit flat; https://twitter.com/achrisevans?lang=en-gb
Lets face it, people were always going to tune in to yesterdays show. It's the ratings over the next few weeks that matter, not the opener.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Yeah, it's the same whenever a big show goes through a change. Two and a half men, with Ashton Kutcher, had an absurd first episode rating. It quickly dropped after that.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Nawdic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nawdic »

All baar one persone I spoke to said it was crap. All they done was do a repeat of what Clarkson and co had done before.
Very much a retired regular poster..... If you can say that :mrgreen:
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Well, I liked it anyway. The studio segments weren't great, but I really did enjoy the various challenges and clips. I'm certain they will warm to it over time too.
My Scenarios:
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I LIKED THIS WEEK TOO.
[+] Spoiler
The South Africa race was a good one. The final stretch, with those steep hills. At one point, it looked like Matt LeBlanc lost control of his car and wasn't far from the edge. I don't know if that was trick filmed, but it did look genuinely close to being a disaster.

Also, Eddie Jordan ending with "On that bombshell". Come on, it's fun!

Still not at all a fan of Chris Evans, really didn't like him. Why can't they get rid of that screaming boy, and replace him with Tinie Tempah? Tinie and Matt got on really well, they actually looked like they had genuine fun together.
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Redirect Left wrote: Lets face it, people were always going to tune in to yesterdays show. It's the ratings over the next few weeks that matter, not the opener.
As expected, the audience dropped quite a bit. However, i think the drop was possibly far more than expected / hoped.

It seems about a third less people tuned in, or in numbers, about 1.6 million less.

source: BBC News & Metro
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Okay, so I've watched the new Top Gear, and as a big fan of the old Top Gear, I didn't know what to expect. I wouldn't say I am a fan of it, but it's interesting, a little exciting, and..... bearable I guess is the word I'm looking for. It's not as awful as I thought it would be.

I do think Chris Evans is trying to be too much like Clarkson, but I don't think he will manage it. Clarkson was a whole personality like that, which was rather amusing. Evans on the other hand is just a bit of a prick it would appear.
[+] Spoiler
Okay, so this week was a lot better than last week, with the SA driving, though I did wish that one of them would drive off the edge of the cliff. I thought the way they handled the situation with Eddie Jordan damaging the car was a little.... odd. At the end of the day, it was almost as though it was scripted to make it so the none racing driver would be the one doing the Hill Climb for them. (And what was with that Border Crossing too?)
Chrill wrote:Also, Eddie Jordan ending with "On that bombshell". Come on, it's fun!
They did that last week too, I'm pretty sure, once is funny, but after that, it's a little repetitive, like they're trying too hard to reference back to the old days
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

Redirect Left wrote:Honestly would not be surprised if Evans was fired and LeBlanc made main host after what I just saw on iPlayer and media reactions.
This would save the show, to be honest. LeBlanc is on par with the old team, as is Sabine - both in their own, different way. Evans is really bringing the show down for me, and most people I've spoken to.

I have been thinking of a British presenter which alongside those 2 could complete it. Not been able to think of anyone except perhaps
[+] Spoiler
Rowan Atkinson
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

lobster wrote:I have been thinking of a British presenter which alongside those 2 could complete it. Not been able to think of anyone except perhaps
[+] Spoiler
Rowan Atkinson
OH YES. That would be amazing. That person with Matt LeBlanc and Sabine Schmitz should host the studio segments. EJ would continue as the deliciously odd sidekick.
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

lobster wrote: I have been thinking of a British presenter which alongside those 2 could complete it. Not been able to think of anyone except perhaps
[+] Spoiler
Rowan Atkinson
Well, he's certainly a well known petrol head. I can see that working. What I can't see is the BBC being bold enough to get in touch with him.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

So I've watched Ep 1 and 2, and imo Evans isn't that big a problem. I think a big part is still getting used to him, and him stop trying to be so much like the old guys. Might be OK if they give him a season or so to get into his own groove.

And some parts probably aren't really his fault; like how he's always trying to get ppl to cheer for that rallycross thing where they drive through the water ... I'm sure that's what the producers/writers want, and the audience just doesn't care about a bit of a splash there. That wouldn't have worked for Clarkson either ^^;

So, yeah, could be worse.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Quite enjoyed this week's
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Looks like things are getting on top of Evans, pictured seemingly drowning some sorrows by himself and a glass of wine.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... e-two.html

Unless of course he makes a habit of propping himself up against a wall next to some bins.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

That's British newspapers for you, though. They make it out like he's a drunkard, yet when you read the text and check out the photos he is basically having a glass of wine around the corner, presumably because his phone call is important and doesn't want the other pub goers to hear it.

Admittedly I'd prefer to see him removed from the show and replaced by someone like Rowan Atkinson or (for the next series) Jenson Button, but I don't mind. I'll keep watching the series. I'll be watching the Grand Tour when that is out, too. Somehow.. Amazon Prime isn't available in Sweden.

Any of these could replace Evans, I'd say:
Jenson Button (assuming he doesn't continue in F1)
Rowan Atkinson
Eddie Jordan (bump him up to main presenter. He's great fun during the F1 pre-shows)
Damon Hill
Ben Collins (right? :mrgreen: )

Perhaps someon from Fifth Gear, cus that's not on anymore is it? Vicki Henderson or Tiff Needell?
My Scenarios:
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Chrill wrote:Any of these could replace Evans, I'd say:
Jenson Button (assuming he doesn't continue in F1)
Rowan Atkinson
Eddie Jordan (bump him up to main presenter. He's great fun during the F1 pre-shows)
Damon Hill
Ben Collins (right? :mrgreen: )
Button - Yes,
Atkinson - Massive Petrolhead, but how is his driving?
Jordan - I'm not too sold on him yet, though could be potential,
Hill - Never seen him on Television so can't judge.
Collins - Surely he's been trained to stand there in a white suit, arms folded, and not say a thing :lol:

I do have another shortlist of who could replace Evans:
[+] Spoiler
Jeremy Clarkson
James May
Richard Hammond
But that isn't gonna happen is it? :lol:
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Pilot wrote:Atkinson - Massive Petrolhead, but how is his driving?
2nd fastest in the Kia cee apostrophe d behind Matt LeBlanc. He's done quite some amateur racing too, so he's solid. Faster than Clarkson, May, or Hammond for sure.
Pilot wrote:Collins - Surely he's been trained to stand there in a white suit, arms folded, and not say a thing :lol:
He hosted Fifth Gear, and he has appeared in TopGear after the sacking where he actually SPOKE.
My Scenarios:
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

Chrill wrote:
Pilot wrote:Atkinson - Massive Petrolhead, but how is his driving?
2nd fastest in the Kia cee apostrophe d behind Matt LeBlanc. He's done quite some amateur racing too, so he's solid. Faster than Clarkson, May, or Hammond for sure.
And added to that he can actually act and present, and has a great sense of humour. The only thing I'd really fear for is that it'd be all an act if he did present, that we'd see nothing of his own, real self. Then again, how much of that is preferable anyway.

The F1 guys I'm not really familiar with, but Jensen Button was fun when I saw him on there. I'm just not sure they're good presenters on their own, although that too is a case-by-case thing obv.

edit: currently rewatching the first episode with the missus, and the desert paparazzi segment just reminded me again how good LeBlanc is at this, and how much the issue lies with Evans. My girlfriend already lost interest because of "that shouty guy". And mind you, we've rewatched the series 2-22 in the few weeks running up to this.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Just watched the latest one, still meh, but slowly going up, i'd say for me its reached at least 5/10 now.

Is it just me, or does Evans seem to be getting less airtime each week? Also, the gun joke RE: ferraris was extremely poorly timed considering recent events in Orlando, surprised that wasn't edited out!
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

http://www.grandprix247.com/2016/06/11/ ... ng-future/

Speaking of Jenson Button and TopGear.
My Scenarios:
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Redirect Left wrote:Is it just me, or does Evans seem to be getting less airtime each week?
I think it's getting to a point where it's more just a collection of people driving cars, with the 2 guys in the studio doing the odd little bit in between. I didn't think that Matt Le Blanc got too much Airtime this week either (a few studio bits, and the film with Ken Block, compared to Chris' Audi R8 film, and the Rallycross Car studio bit).

With regards to the two presenters introduced this time, this is my opinion on them. That Chris Harris just seems too boring, like he uses all his excitement in his writing of car reviews (and they even gave him a car that he could only drive sideways in!), whilst Rory Reid (is that his name?) seemed to be a decent choice, though again, he had a car that he could only drive sideways :lol:

Return to “Off-Topic”